April 17, 2014 | 977 users online

Treatments - Finacea Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2014 10:39:00 PM More reviews by Cin2

Five months ago I gave up using my Finacea to give Nerium a 5-month trial. Stupidly I was not putting together the fact that taking away the Finacea (maybe in addition to using the Nerium) was slowly making my skin look dull and giving me blackheads and whiteheads. I've given up on the Nreium and am now going back to my twice daily Finacea, as I now realize this was one of the products that was keeping my skin in tip top shape.

I also firmly believe that Finacea helped immensely with hyperpigmentation and skin texture. I look forward to my skin once again reaping the benefits of Finacea.

I originally started using this years ago for pustular rosacea. I started with oral Oracea, then my doctor moved me to Finacea for maintenance and it worked famously. When I asked my dermatologist about quitting the Finacea, she asked me why I would want to do that as it has other benefits for keeping your skin nice. Now I understand what she meant. Love this gel!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by Formerann83

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have dehydrated yet oily skin prone to break outs and mild stage two rosacea. I'm on week 4 of finacea 2x a day for moderate rosacea and hormonal acne. Good days and bad days but going to continue until my 8 week mark. Will continue to update! (12/14)

Edit: definitely reduced amount of p&p, still some tiny ones and redness. Will continue to use (12/28)

Edit: Got a big bump about a week ago that is finally going away. Other than that one I'm clear. Hoping this will fade old red marks. (1/10)

Edit: other than a period bump on my chin ( I don't use finacea here) I'm clear! Still red and rosy all day but more tolerable than big bumps on my cheeks! Using in conjunction with my clarisonic for extra penetration (1/25)

Edit: still clear! (2/13)

Edit: still clear! (2/23)

Edit: got a papule on my cheek (3/25)

rated 3 of 5 on 9/16/2013 2:12:00 PM More reviews by dxwl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I tried this as an alternative to retin a for acne. The word gel is slightly misleading as it is more like a thin cream than a true gel. The product stings slightly on application but this passes after a couple of days. Whilst I have read many reviews saying that this product has had impressive results, it didn't work as well as retin a for me. Cosmetically the cream dries quickly and smoothly. For me, I will be sticking with retin a. However, this is certainly worth looking at if you have especially sensitive skin or rosacea that would not tolerate a stronger topical.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2013 11:23:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

I got samples of this and it wasn't covered, and then I lost my insurance. I decided I might need it, so I ordered from Australia, and now that it's arrived and I've been using my samples up, I think it may be making the problem WAY worse. I tried to be patient and assume there was a purging period, which I normally don't even stand for, and it just never stopped. I think this plus the other Rx I was using was just too drying. But the stopped the other and even the Finacea for a few days, but as soon as I put this back on, boom. Acne again. Wth, I just can't stand for that. So now I have two unopened tubes that I just bought that I seriously doubt I'll ever use. Just too harsh for me, I'm too sensitive or don't have bad enough acne, idk. Let me know if you want them. Otherwise, if you think you need it and it's covered, great. You can order from Canada (with Rx) or Australia (without) and at first it really seems to help with redness. So it's possible that for the right skin/problem it works but I don't think it is for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/9/2013 4:34:00 AM More reviews by koalasarenotbears

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've just finished my first tube, although DH is using it also.

DH is using it for his Rosacea. He's found that using it nightly after cleansing and before moisturising has really helped with his flare ups.

I am using it because so many reviewers have found it helped with their skin tone and texture. I do notice that my chin, which is full of sebaceous filaments and some clogs, is slightly better. Nothing to rave about, but enough of an improvement ot continue using the product.

I'll edit after the next tube if there's any change!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2013 5:55:00 PM More reviews by Pyxxeestyx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have to admit I love this. My only issue it is doesn't keep my skin completely clear, but its amazing!!! After 2 tubes my skin is the clearest it's ever been and I'm so happy. The only this is it definitely does increase the peach fuzz on your face but it stops eventually. Whatever. Clear skin!! (Most of the time)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2013 6:25:00 AM More reviews by frckls

I have combo-oily, dehydrated, sensitive skin with hyperpigmentation. I've always had freckles, but they got worse (in number and depth of color) ever since I started taking BCP 6-years ago. I used to have almost perfect clear skin until I had a major breakout explosion 2.5 years ago. That one time stint left me with lots of PIH on my cheeks.

I don't use this due to Rosacea or acne issue. I have quite a mild erythema case. Aside of the usual triggers, washing my face with warm water makes it look blotchy red that takes hours to subside. But even then, my skintone was uneven.

I got myself a tube of this last February in Istanbul, Turkey during a trip which I could get without prescription. I had the same routine back then as I do now, just without Retin-A and different sunscreen. I know it take a few weeks to show result, but I got mine in 4-weeks. It even started showing promising results on week-2.

My PIH are fading fast and my skintone became even and brighter. No more redness. I lost my whiteheads and my sebaceous filaments were decreasing in time of filling up.
However, it hardly helps with my freckles and a spot on my left temple. I guess they will finally disappear if I stop taking BCP. But I'd rather have clear, low-maintenance skin with some freckles that people think look nice, or at least okay, rather than acneic one. BCP clears out my bacne completely, too.

It was tricky when I just started using it. I had the warned itchy sensation for a few minutes during my first week. Immediately applying my serum (NuFountain CelSignal Support) helped. But overtime, I can increase the wait time before applying serum.
The Q&A section on the US website said that it's fine to immediately apply the next skincare product right after Finacea dries off, but I just give about 10-mins for the azelaic acid to kick in before applying serum. I still did get visible results during my first month applying serum immediately, though.
Oh. I prefer to apply this to clean skin. It's an Rx, plus it dries off completely and doesn't seem to create any kind of barrier for the next product you're going to apply.
For you who are starting and a bit clueless, I've got some tips in my notepad that might help somewhat.

However, once I ran out of CelSignal and it was OOS of that time due to an ingredient shortage. Without it to support my skin, my skin was angry and dry and dehydrated and hurt. Apparently, my skin cannot take Finacea on its own without some kind of hydration/soothing support. Luckily, used in conjunction with other products, it doesn't show any decrease in the outcome.

In my homeland, we don't have Finacea or Skinoren Gel. There are a couple other brands of Azelaic Acid with 20% concentration and cream base. Neither of them agree with my skin and the cream base clogged me. So I had my friends in Australia to buy me some. One 40ml is good for 2-3 months of am use for me.

It's a staple in my routine now and I definitely will repurchase, as I always have.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2013 11:23:00 AM More reviews by cyphadelic

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been on Finacea gel twice a day for over a year and it has worked excellent on my acne, better than anything I have used before. It goes on easily and is fine under my makeup. The packaging is much to be desired in that the it seems like the lid can be impossible to close at times. Also, the price is quite high. However, it is totally worth being acne free.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2013 7:11:00 PM More reviews by Amanda881

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was prescribed this cream by my dermatologist after being diagnosed with mild rosacea. For a long time I confused the rosacea with mild adult acne and the topical treatments I was using to address it were actually doing more harm than good. I have to say, this stuff has been an absolute godsend! It keeps my skin amazingly clear and even works on hormonal blemishes.

Just a fair warning though, you must be patient. It took about a month of using this daily before the acne-like bumps on my nose and cheeks stopped appearing. However, I noticed that the pink in my face (which I always thought was just my natural coloring) disappeared within a week and the texture looked better almost overnight. I did not get any sort of purge like I did with my retinoid. It just progressively improved my skin.

I use it once daily usually in the morning. However, if I see any indication of a flare up, I use it twice a day. I also use it in conjunction with a prescription retinoid (Ziana) which I have used for years and tolerate extremely well. I wash and moisturize with CeraVe products and, after washing my face at night, exfoliate using Paula's Choice CLEAN Regular Strength Acne Exfoliator.

One thing I think is worthy to note, the Finacea did sting somewhat upon application and for about 10-15 minutes thereafter during the first week I used it, though the stinging/tingling was never enough to make me stop using it.

A couple of tips: (1) wait about 15-20 minutes after washing your face before applying Finacea to avoid irritation, and (2) be sure apply moisturizer as the Finacea can be a little bit drying, especially in the beginning of treatment.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2013 6:17:00 PM More reviews by trickmaus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

"WITCHCRAFT" I thought to myself as I stared at my reflection. My face, normally very pink and blotchy, looked...well, not perfect, let's be honest, I have tons of PIH. However, the pinkness from my rosacea, which tends to make my PIH marks look worse...was gone.

And that was after two nights.

So I've only just started using Finacea, but my skin looks and feels so much better that I felt like I had to write about it right away. Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING has instantly taken away my rosacea redness like Finacea. On top of that, after two days of use, all of my P&P's are gone, save for two. My skin feels SMOOTH for the first time in months. I can't believe all the money and time I've wasted trying other things to fix my face.

The downsides to Finacea are obviously money, and the unfortunate side effect it seems to share with Retin-A...in the beginning, your skin might get kinda flaky. I can't speak for how long this lasts, as I've only just started using it, so I'll be sure to update this review in a few months to let you all know.

UPDATE: The flaking really didn't last long at all, and was never anything of note compared to Retin-A. It did help keep my skin from flushing too badly, however it never did anything for my PIH marks, and my P&P's never fully went away. On top of this, the price was just too expensive for me to keep purchasing, which makes me sad. If this product was cheaper, it would be decent enough that I would repurchase it...but I'm broke and I need some serious bang for my buck, so I'm changing my original answer to "will not repurchase." I definitely think that if you live in a place where Finacea doesn't require a prescription, or have insurance willing to cover it, that anyone with rosacea give this a try.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No