Finacea Gel

3.9

Each gram of FINACEA Gel, 15%, contains 0.15 gm azelaic acid (15% w/w) as the active ingredient in an aqueous gel base containing benzoic acid (as a preservative), disodium-EDTA, lecithin, medium-chain triglycerides, polyacrylic acid, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, purified water, and sodium hydroxide to adjust pH

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This is awesome stuff! Treated my acne from make up. I was feelin hopeless and my benzoyl peroxide gel plus salicylic acid plus glycolic acid routine are becoming futile to my immuned acne. So it was time to introduce a new drug . The azelaic acid was amazing! It's like a primer and it doesnt ball up or peel off. I love love it. It gives off a slight tingly itchy feel which annoys me sometimes but you gotta know when the drug is working hey. So yeah! If you ever feel that your skin is used to BP , SA, or glycolic acid or even retinol , TRY THIS!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I've been very pleased with this stuff. I've been using it for only three weeks now, applying it twice a day. I also use a 4% benzoyl peroxide face wash (Spectro Acne Care) twice a day. I asked my doctor for this prescription after I developed a itchy red neck rash a few months into using Tactuo (Epiduo), and then perioral dermatitis from the cortisone cream for the rash.

I've had problems with retinoid topicals a few times before. They do great things for my acne, but after a few months my skin just gets so irritated I can't tolerate them--I end up with acne free skin that is bright red, painful, and flaky despite constant gentle exfoliation.

I'm in my late thirties with mild to moderate but persistent adult acne that just never went away after adolescence. Through the years I've tried most of what's out there on one occasion or another.

Anyway, once the dermatitis cleared up I asked for Finacea based on internet research. Apparently it's been studied in people like me--adult women who tolerate retinoids poorly--and it's been shown to be as good as Retin A for acne. That's definitely been the case for me.

I have primarily comeodonal acne--bumpy skin, clogged pores, with a few inflammatory lesions and the occasional chin cyst. The Finacea has really helped to clear my pores up, which I think heads off the inflammatory acne as well. The improvement has been a bit slow, and it can be itchy for a few minutes after application, but it settles and certainly it's no worse than retinoids which I found so painful. I put moisturizer on underneath it (with SPF in the days, and a few drops of jojoba oil at night), and it's got a texture that wears well during the day and can accept a layer of makeup overtop if you want. My old acne scars are slowly fading too. Honestly my skin hasn't looked this good since...I can't remember when. If you can't tolerate retinoids, but need a topical that will clear up pore congestion, this stuff is definitely worth trying.

Update after three months of use:
Finacea is still working well for my acne, and it's even less irritating to my skin than it was at first. The initial itchiness has completely subsided. My skin is smoother, no longer bumpy from congested pores, and a sunspot on my cheek is definitely fading over time too. My skin isn't perfect, but I know that's not a reasonable goal--but it's probably 90% better with Finacea than without treatment. What's left is what I'd consider minor monthly hormonal breakouts, a few pimples each cycle, which is tolerable. I can go without makeup without being embarrassed of my skin, and that is what matters. I still do use the benzoyl peroxide wash along with it. Still a highly recommended product.

Nine months later:
An HG product. My skin is 95% clear, smooth and glowing, and all my various old scars and sun spots are barely visible at all. This stuff is amazing. I actually have really great skin now with just an occasional random pimple now and then. I only use it at night now, along with my benzoyl peroxide wash and a light moisturizer.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

Works fast and you can put moisturizer and makeup over it, after it dries. Cost 300.00, but with insurance my co pay is 39.00. Seems to change the surface of your skin and my skin is smoother as well as redness reduced in the first week...

I think some people may be having a reaction if they use products like a toners as that can cause burning. Just wash face and dry, apply Finacea , let dry about 10 minutes, apply moisturizer and makeup and you are good to go.

Never rub skin or use scrubs while using this product.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a prescription topical medication. A dermatologist has to prescribe this for you.

PROS:

Azelaic acid is the active ingredient and it really works. It stops the growth of bacteria that cause acne. With regular use, it unclogs pores, eliminates blackheads, and can reduce redness associated with zits. It is prescribed for mild to moderate acne. It improves texture. Sometimes dermatologists prescribe it for people with rosacea to smooth out the surface of the skin.

I love the Finacea gel base. It doesn't smell or feel like alcohol, the way Metrogel does. A well-formulated gel base is preferable to waxy cream bases when fighting acne. Creams never work as well for me - they seem to clog the pores they're supposed to clear.

It's strong and effective.

If my skin is in a calm state (no inflammation from dermatitis), this does not trigger any flare-ups or cause irritation at all.

CONS:

If your skin is already red from an inflammatory condition (rash, hives, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, sunburn), this can cause tingling or itching.

You have to get a doctor's prescription for it.

Expensive if you buy the name brand and if your insurance won't help cover it - roughly $275. I was unable to find a generic for Finacea gel.

It works beautifully but may be too strong for some people. It may dry you out and cause flaking if you use it every day for weeks.

This is not necessarily a solution for everyone. Something that does have a generic that also fights acne is Cleocin T gel. It contains the antibiotic clindamycin, which is an effective topical treatment that also stops acne-causing bacteria. I have used it off and on for years. It can dry you out, but most acne treatments do. The brand name Cleocin T gel is somewhere around $70 but the generic is around $30. Unfortunately you need a prescription for that, too.

When I'm using any prescription topical medication, I try not to go overboard with other skin care products. I use a gentle cleanser, maybe a gentle toner, and forgo "treatments" from other brands. This reduces the risk of having a bad reaction.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I was prescribed this a few years ago after being misdiagnosed with Rosacea. My skin barrier had been majorly screwed up and was imitating some common Rosacea symptoms as a result (flushing, redness, irritation bumps). My insurance would not cover it, so I ended up ordering from Australia for around $30.

Unfortunately this was way too irritating and drying for me, even though I have extremely oily skin and waited to test it until my skin had healed. I used it every other night. The stinging never seemed to stop and time did not change that. I'm bummed that it's not an option for me now that I'm having acne problems again, but glad that this works for some people.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was on accutane about 13 years ago for cystic acne which was leaving hyper pigmentation - that cleared my skin beautifully. About 4 years ago I started breaking out again just prior to getting pregnant for the first time. I was put on retin a micro between my pregnancies but I didn't feel it was effective, it really dried my skin out and I continued to break out, I tried that for about a year. I visited my dermatologist about 13 months ago to discuss pregnancy safe options for acne control - we decided on finacea with benzaclin for spot treatment. The first few days I noted itching/burning but nothing unbearable. It took months for this to work but it really does work. For the past few months I have been mixing it with indeed labs hydroluron & rosehip oil with great success (I live in a dry climate & it's a cold winter) no dryness, and skin is looking more even. My underground cystic acne has all but disappeared. I use a aloe/tea tree oil mixture for the occasional surface acne (uncomplicated non-cystic).

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I first started using Finacea 6 months ago. I didn't get any of the itching or irritation although I did purge for a couple of weeks. I will say this worked really great at getting rid of most of my clogs and keeping my skin pretty clear. Recently though my skin has been clogged and I have been getting a few breakouts. It has also not done anything for my hyper pigmentation. Right now I don't know if I will repurchase again although I am on my second tube. It be something else that is breaking me out (although I have not used any new products.) so I will wait it out a couple more weeks before I decide if this has stopped working for me. I thought I had found the products to keep my skin clear and it had been the only thing to make a huge difference in my clogs. I'll wait and see.

UPDATE 03/08/2015: I stopped using it for a bit after this review and I've realized the difference it makes to my skin. It doesn't prevent breakouts or keeps clogs 100% away but it's the best product I've used. It is a bit drying but doesn't irritate my skin. When I stopped using it I was testing out a mandelic acid product and the first few days were great but it eventually irritated my skin. I won't stray again or get discouraged if it does not keep me 100% clear all the time.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I went off birth control about two years ago, and 7 months later I started to break out horribly. Cysts all along my jawline, chin and cheeks, and small bumps everywhere else. I literally hid my face everywhere I went and was mortified at work and social functions. Finally in October 2014 I went to a derm and she prescribed me Finacea. After about 2 weeks of use all of the small bumps were gone and my cysts were disappearing. She had told me that it doesn't usually work on cysts, but they are definitely healing faster and are less frequent. I've noticed a slight change in my moderate hyper-pigmentation, so hopefully it will help with that too. I've been using it for 3 months now and couldn't be happier. With my insurance, the cost for one tube is $35, and if you register on the Finacea website they will send you a discount card for $30 off each prescription - no limit on how many it's good for. This leaves me with a $5 prescription which is amazing to me.

Skin: Other, Medium Brown, Not Sure

So I received a sample from my doctor after unsuccessfully squeezing a pimple on my lip trying to get the gook out. It left the area very discolored. Although finacea is meant for patients suffering from roscea studies show azaleic acid is great for hyperpigmentation in those with darker skin tone. So I applied twice a day on lip. My lip was rosy pink again in less than a month and for new post inflammatory acne scars the gel worked amazingly to fade them quickly. It isn't working that well on my older dark spots but is godsent with new ones. The texture isn't thick I just massage it into the new trouble spots, let it dry and then apply my makeup. As an overnight treatment I let the gel sit on new pimples and by morning they are ready to pop. Azaleic acid works well for acne caused by bacteria. My little sample is running low and a full tube is$200.00 although a coupon can be obtained via their website or your dermatologist. I will paying a visit to my dermatologist soon I think finacea is worth every penny.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've tried a lot of brands (payot, bioderma, holy land, clarins, clinique, givenchy, shiseido, DDF, clearasil, clean and clear...) for my very oily and very problematic skin for the past 15 years, but when this summer I experienced severe break-out on my face and neck, I ran to pharmacy in Spain and bought azelaic acid products- 15% Finacea gel and unknown% nanosomal Azelac RU serum (it turned out that Azelac is indicated for Rosacea, but I like its consistency and smell a lot, and also it doesn't irritate my skin and still contains azelaic aced -so I use it once-twice daily on my whole face and neck), because nothing helps to get new pimples on the surface and get rid of it as quickly as Skinoren/Finacea.
I usually feel itching near the mouth and under the nose if apply Finacea all over the face, so now I apply it only locally on pimples and post-acne and happy with the results.