September 3, 2014 | 1094 users online

Shampoo - DevaCare Low Poo

rated 3 of 5 on 2/15/2013 11:02:00 AM More reviews by Kourki13

I have oily roots and was looking for a low sulfate shampoo that would clean then without damaging my hair. This stuff is bad at removing oil, making me use it 4-5 times just to get my roots to feel clean. Not only is that frustrating, but it's expensive for such a mediocre shampoo. It did nothing for my frizziness or hair breakage. Definitely won't be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2012 1:46:00 AM More reviews by innapark

In my search for the gentlest shampoo for my prescription medication damaged hair, I came across the Devacare line. I ended up with both Devacare Lo Poo and Devacare No Poo shampoos. Both require gentle but thorough friction at the scalp to achieve clean hair. Here's the difference.
Lo Poo has is a clear shampoo with the scent of orange. It builds a touch of lather, yet when it rinses there is no discernible 'squeaky' clean which is what I expected from this low sudsing shampoo. In a day my scalp is quite oily and needs to be washed or hit up with a dry shampoo.
No Poo was a surprise. It is opaque and looks more conditioning. There is no lather. So I expected NO 'squeaky' clean, BUT there was a touch of that squeaky clean you get from traditional shampoos! There is also a minty tingle at the scalp! Surprise!! AND after a day, my scalp is not as oily as with the Lo Poo. So I like it better.
I wonder if the lather of the Lo Poo stimulates the scalp to produce more oil than the zero-suds of No Poo?

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2012 1:30:00 PM More reviews by Imimpressions

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

OK, when the SA at Green Apple told me that I would love this shampoo, I trusted her judgement. She then said I should use the devacurl towl with it as well. I also purchased the hair spray gel as I don't like a crusty curl look from thick gel. Soft and full is what I was going for.
So that evening I had done some reading here and had almost convinced myself I was going to hate this line and I should not have waisted my money and I totally had got a non-stellar product. But I used the shampoo anyways (without even conditioner as it usually weighs me down), I was shocked, my curls were amazing. I normally have wavy spiral curls, not botcelli style but a bit looser and they are done by the end of the day. I have fine hair but a lot of it and I usually get greasy during the day having combination oily foreheadd.
So back to my first day using it, my curls looked awesome and the towel was the coolest thing I have ever used. When I came out of the shower I even brushed my hair straight but that towel made the curls unbelievable. I have now boughten the foam mouse and the mist-er which I LOVE the smell.
I was also worried that the shampoo would not clean my hair enough and would not protect my color. I still wash my hair everyday but am very impressed with how full it is (even though i'm due for a long awaited haircut and my hair has been weighing me down up to using this). I can't imagine what will happen once I get my haircut.
I'm going to try the condition and the gel as they are part of the 3 part system. When I saw them I assumed it would be a crusty gel but now that the shampoo has really suprised me, without tons of suds, I'm going to try the gel.
I have tried using Pureology (which weighs me down) and Aveda (which can't compare for curls to this). My next thing is, I'm going to use the shampoo and do my 50s style bob, if my hair is great, even though not in spirals I will give this a 10!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/6/2011 5:08:00 PM More reviews by Robin1980

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love DevaCurl No Poo and DevaCurl One Condition... I did NOT like the DevaCare Low Poo. It left my hair feeling dry and the product itself was a very thin consistency... I'd imagine you'd go through the product quickly if you used it regularly.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2011 3:06:00 PM More reviews by stinkypuppy

I've been using this for a few years, although I have fine straight hair. The best thing about it is that my scalp produces much less oil using after using lo-poo for a while than it did using regular detergent shampoos. I can go for 4-5 days between washing without looking too greasy. After washing, my hair looks clean and shiny without being super fluffy, which is what happens with regular shampoos.

It doesn't give you that nice lathering experience however, and it takes a while in the shower and a lot of product to get my whole head scrubbed. I'm not a huge fan of the scent either, but it's basically fine.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2010 12:46:00 AM More reviews by Sunshiine537

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I started using this about a year ago when I decided to go mod CG (curly language, sorry). It is extremely hydrating and makes my hair feel so good. I feel like conditioner isn't even needed when I use this! I didn't know what this did to my hair till I ran out and started experimenting with sulfates again... YIKES!!! My hair was dried and looking like crap no matter what I did to it. I had to run to Ulta and get a bottle. I didn't want to pay the price- $18. But my hair needed it. It was so happy when I washed it.

As far as smell, I like it. Smells like orange peel :).

Texture? A low poo that suds! Awesome!

I will continue to repurchase until I find something better.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2010 8:31:00 PM More reviews by k9muttlover

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I must be the odd girl out on this. For a gentle product this stuff was horrible and left my hair feeling like straw! I had to use gads and gads of conditioner to make my hair feel normal. Yuck. Oddly enough, my hair also felt coated weird all day.. I think due to the wax in this product?

I returned this stuff and bought DevaCurl No Poo (NO wax in this one) - much better.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2010 4:05:00 PM More reviews by dragonflygirl7

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Update 6/10~After finishing my first bottle , I conclude that this is drying out my hair...will go back to Jessicurl or Abba. I do still like the One Condition, though.~end
After trying many sulfate free products...Jessicurl, Abba, Aveda, and many from Whole Foods, I needed to tell you all how wonderful this has been for my wavy/curly porous hair! My daughter calls all my shampoos slimy shampoos, but this one isn't. the nice thing is that it isn't drying either. It's the perfect combo of gentleness and cleansingness.
It leaves my hair feeling clean, but yet nicely taken care of. I use this along with the Devacare One Condition and I can finally say I am happy and don't need to try anything else! Whew!
I just breathed a sigh of relief.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2008 1:50:00 AM More reviews by SashaTrois

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this after falling in love with One Condition. The lack of "suds" takes a little getting used to, but I find the trick is to make sure hair is fully saturated with water. I have very short hair that I style with a strong wax every day, and I find that this environmentally friendly, sulfate free shampoo clears out any residue while miraculously preserving my color. It also seems to reinforce the One Condition in terms of maintaining moisture and manageability. I will never use another pair of products as long as I can buy, borrow, or steal these two.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2007 8:20:00 PM More reviews by Artbabe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Wow. I didn't think anything would work on my hair better than NoPoo, which I've been using for the past 2 years. But on a whim I bought Low Poo instead this time, and my hair is even happier. My hair has more body, better curl pattern and seems more moisturized. Wish I had tried this before! I have thin, fine, curly hair that I color at home. I use Low Poo 2x a week and do Conditioner Only washes in between.