L'Oreal Elnett Hairspray

3.1

on 3/5/2015 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is one of those things that works well, but I really feel it damages and dries out my hair. Sebastian Shaper is my preference but I'm on the lookout for something still less damaging.

on 1/2/2015 6:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This hairspray does have a very pungent smell. I personally describe it as old folk's home and cheap air freshener, but some others describe it as cheap perfume, garbage, et cetera. Thankfully, they do make a scent-free version!

This hairspray does work nice as an actual hairspray. It deposits a super fine mist that is hard to clump up on, and on the rare occasion that your hair comes out crunchy, it brushes away and leaves super-soft hair.

I didn't find the extra-strong hold version particularly useful against strong wind or heavy rain, but it still held up against my regular day-to-day activities. It's a good hairspray despite the smell, but a little on the pricey side.

on 12/31/2014 1:44:00 AM

I love this hairspray despite its strong cheap perfume smell. I find it holds my curls well, provides shiny, bouncy hold without being crunchy or sticky, and the best part is that you can brush out your hair and no residue will be left behind - hair is left smooth and silky. Slightly expensive for a drugstore product ($15 CDN) but worth the splurge. FYI a bottle lasts a really, really long time.

The worst hairspray I have ever used. So overrated. Elnett does not hold my curls or styled hair at all, it makes my hair very crunchy and frizzy, has a very strong cheap 80s perfume scent and does not protect against humidity.

Not recommended.

on 12/10/2014 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

La la love this hairspray. I use it regularly before/after curling my hair with a conical wand. It gives me shiny, bouncy, loose curls that I can run my fingers through without the slightest bit of crunchiness or stiffness. Seeing as I have dry hair, I don't wash it that often. My hair still looks good days after even if I don't do anything to it after originally curling it.

I agree that the smell is strong but it doesn't bother me that much and (in my hair at least) doesn't last. I've never had anyone complain about or even mention the smell and I never notice it on myself unless its right after I've done my hair.

It is a bit pricey compared to other drugstore hairsprays but in my opinion worth it. It also lasts a long time, and like I said I use it fairly regularly.

If you really can't stand the smell, or don't want to dish out the $$$, try the tresemmé. It's pretty comparable although I still prefer Elnett for shine and hold. Will continue to buy this product.

on 8/23/2014 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

For it's price, it's an excellent product. I must be weird, I don't mind the smell. I usually use Bumble & Bumble Spray De Mode, but Elnett is half the price so sometimes it suits the need.

on 2/10/2014 10:25:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I feel like there's something wrong with me for not loving this hairspray......I don't get anything out of it, other than it's drying and doesn't really provide any hold--- and I'm not a helmet hair by any stretch.....sorry, just don't like it.

on 2/10/2014 9:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I always buy this hairspray & will NEVER switch I love it because it's not sticky it doesn't make the hair "hard" gives a flexible natural looking hold .. I even use it to "set" my make up with no irritation .. Only problem I have experienced is that everybody steals it because it it so great .. I even have to buy my boyfriend his own can!

on 1/24/2014 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I had been in the market for a drugstore hairspray under 15 and ran into this one. I only use hairspray when I curl or braid my hair so I don't use it daily. So when I first sprayed this on, I noticed the strong scent. I'm usually ok with bad fragranced products, so I thought I could bare it. It has a very good hold. Doesn't leave white flakes, which I loved! But when I would wear it, the smell would not fade away. My hair would still smell like it by the end of the day. I finally decided it was unbearable! So that is the reason I'm giving it 3 lippies. It works great, I just can't handle the bad smell. I just bought Garnier Fructis style sleek & shine anti-humidity hairspray, and so far I have no complaints. It's too soon to tell for sure yet, but I saw good reviews for it as well.

on 12/31/2013 4:15:00 AM

I would love to love this hairspray, but I just can't! Before buying, I checked plenty of reviews and compared it against tons of other hairsprays. I noticed warnings about Elnett's....fragrance....but I ignored them. I generally don't mind fragranced products. Even if it smells awful, I generally bear through it until it fades, if the product performs well enough other than that. And Elnett really does perform well. Overall, I was impressed. Comes in the trademark gold can, and I noticed that the nozzle wasn't easily prone to clogging. None of that annoying gluey maintenance.
It held a curl almost all day, and kept my hair sleek and straight on days when it was straightened. The best part was the swingy, springy, bouncy feeling it gave my hair, especially ponytails and curls. It is extremely good for retro inspired curls and finger waves, allowing for you to run your hands through to break up, shape, and reform the curls, without needing to whip out the curling wand again. It left my hair noticeably softer and shinier looking, and I didn't experience flakes.
However, Elnett broke my heart. I have tried it so many times, so many different ways of application. Yet nothing can help that horrible, nose burning, brain melting, reek of the hairspray. It's unforgettable; it really smells like nothing I've ever smelled before. And not in a good way. At first, it was almost unbearable, and the only thing that stopped me from plunging my head into the sink and washing it all out was the fact that it had made my hair look fantastic. I gritted my teeth, and held on to the hope that the stench would go away. I made the mistake of trying Elnett on a work day. And the stench did not go away. I spent the entire day with "Oh god, what IS THAT SMELL?" echoing in my ears, as I sheepishly played innocent, inwardly cursing the day I ever purchased this hairspray. It lingered for over 24 hours in fact, before I finally became nauseated and was forced to break schedule to wash it out.
I know, they do make the unscented version, but I can't tell the difference. In my opinion, the "unscented" smells like someone spilled baby power all over the trainwreck of the original scent. Well at least L'Oreal attempted to be accommodating.
So yes. I give it 4 lippies. I know. But honestly, it doesn't feel fair to give it 1, which is what it really deserves for blasting my nostrils with its stench, yet its performance redeems its rating. Just remember, buyer beware. Test this, and its obnoxious odor before buying the entire can.

Popular Hair Products