September 30, 2014 | 2129 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Red Square

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2014 4:11:00 PM More reviews by sashaff

I'm a huge, huge fan of orange-red lipsticks - it's pretty much the only shade I buy. Previously I've been using pop beauty's stain stay in Poppy Kiss, but it came off a little too strong and drying for me. But I really think this NARS pencil tops it. It's very true to it's dark orange hue - most lip products that claim to have orange come out to be pinkish, but not this one. I love the way NARS is not afraid to actually give different colors.

Now I put on the lipgloss "Wonder" by NARS before applying this in-store, and I've gotta say, I think this backwards application really helped. I don't really like the look/feel of gloss, but the color was amazing - also a bright orange-red, and the way "Red Square" looked and felt on top of it was amazing. It looked a lot more natural and my lips looked smooth, without the cracked/wrinkled tendencies that lipsticks gives. I think I might just buy "Wonder" next time I'm at Sephora, or maybe just try a cheaper gloss under it.

But for the pencil alone, it really is a very pigmented and true-to-it's-color formula. A drawback I have is the price - $25 seems just a tad much, but it's pretty much worth it for the color you get.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2014 4:18:00 PM More reviews by mwebba1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is absolutely beautiful! Stark against my nw45 skin, this is so flattering and just in time for Spring/Summer as I hear orange lips will be all the rage. I have always love the velvet mattes but stuck with my dragon girl. This I picked up at the Nars counter when I was in Atlanta. I love it so much! Matte perfection, excellent staying power and not drying at all on my lips. I will definitely purchase this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2013 6:02:00 PM More reviews by Sara44

Love this pencil!!!
It's crazy easy to apply and the colour is great, very matte and pretty good staying power.
Goes on easy and has a nice soft texture. Would absolutely buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2013 10:59:00 PM More reviews by linachu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Now I am not the girl who likes bright lipsticks, I usually go for dark purples, dark reds or dark browns when I wear bold lipstick. However I tried it on and loved it. It goes great with my dark eyes, dark hair and NC20 skin, it really brightens up my face. Application is easy as well, however you do need to buy a NARS sharpener since it's a rather weird sized pencil.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 12:03:00 AM More reviews by Parisa909

Red Square is matte red with a very strong orange base. If you watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians, itís almost identical to the shade of red Kourtney likes to wear. Itís very warm toned and looks like a retro pin-up shade that makes my lips look very full. Iíve always been a fan of blue toned true-red lipstick, but now I think that I like orange based reds better! For a matte pencil, it glides on my lips so smoothly and has incredibly strong pigmentation Ė I use one swipe for full, opaque coverage. It brightens up my complexion and makes my teeth look whiter and because it is matte it lasts a very long time on my lips. I very much like the matte effect on my lips, but you can add some balm or gloss for more of a sheen. I feel so comfortable wearing Red Square, itís bright, yet not massively in-your-face.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2012 3:33:00 PM More reviews by mllemustard

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really like the Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencils: long-lasting, easy to apply, great texture, not too drying. Red Square is a deeply pigmented, orange-red. It stands out.

Like all Velvet Matte Lip Pencils, I keep this one in the little box when I throw it in my bag, since I don't really trust the cap.

Apparently I'm on an orange-red lipstick thing this summer. (This is actually quite close to the Kat Von D Stiletto lipstick I bought earlier. Not exactly, but very similar.) I find myself reaching for the Nars a little bit more.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2012 12:35:00 PM More reviews by ukarmencb

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

Very pigmented and gorgeous colour. However the design of the pencil should be reviewed as it makes you waste a lot of product when you need to shave the pencil to sharpen the tip. Considering that the price is very high itīs painful to see the product going to the bin!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2011 5:12:00 PM More reviews by sushiomelette

This is a beautiful orange-red, perfect anytime, spring, summer, winter, fall. I love Heat Wave and I'd say these are about spot on in color, but unlike HW I definitely don't feel RS at all on lips, but it is super pigmented. It does feel a little drying, but I'm will to overlook that as it is the best red out there.
Update! (9-12-11): The best orange red I feel is now Urban Decay's Super Saturated High Gloss lip color in Punch Drunk. It's glossy but not thick like a glossy and shiny and moisturizing all the same time. While I still do love Red Square, I think UD's is better.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2010 9:33:00 AM More reviews by Kasia_S

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

This gives me perfect red lips, I use it more in the spring/summer because it's a pretty bright colour. But for spring/summer this and MAC lady danger are my favorites. I love red lips, especially more of the vintage pin-up style, which this gives me.
Before I mostly used lady danger, but this is much easier to apply so it's gotten to be my favorite this summer. Since it's in a pen form you can use it without a lip pencil and work a more laid-back look than lady danger. I love that it's in a pen, and it doesn't dry my lips out as much as mac.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2010 3:00:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

UPDATED: 6/18/2012 - I tried this again and I like it so much better this time around. It's not nearly as neon as I remembered - I'm thinking it may have been the florescent department store lighting that made it look neon, and I was in such a hurry to remove it that I didn't look at my lips in natural light. But under natural light, this is a warm red with a hint of orange. It's super pigmented so you don't need a lot, but you will need the NARS sharpener. I prefer this over NARS Heatwave because this is a more unique shade. Definitely love the second time around!

Original Review: 07/8/2010 - I was thisclose to buying Red Square sight unseen from eBay due to the raves here and from JCrew's Jenna Lyons, but I decided to try it on first at a NARS counter and I'm so glad I did because it did NOT look flattering on me at all. It pulled rather orange on me, and was really bright, nearly neon. Didn't go well with my skin tone, which has yellow undertones. Definitely try before you buy!