August 27, 2014 | 1735 users online

Sunscreen - Hawaiian Tropic - Oil Free Sensitive Skin SPF 50 with Sensitive Skin Lip Balm SPF 45

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2012 5:27:00 PM More reviews by GypsyRose23

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I absolutely love this sunscreen! I was lucky enough to find it at the 99-cent store once and decided to try it. I have very sensitive skin and many products cause me to breakout. After using this sunscreen on almost a daily basis for over a year, I can't say I've had any unusual breakouts. I get the occasional zit, but that's pretty normal for me. I haven't had a problem with this sunscreen causing oiliness, oxidizing my makeup or irritating my skin in any way. It does go on thick, but I like that because I know I'm getting maximum sun protection. I make sure to smooth it out evenly, though, and let it set for about 15-20 minutes before brushing a very light layer of mineral foundation over the top. Sometimes I even skip the foundation part, and I haven't had any problems so far. My only wish is that I would've bought every last tube the 99-cent store had at that price! As well as it works for me, though, I buy it at the regular price now, which is still cheaper than many sunscreens. As for the lip balm, though, I wasn't impressed. It chapped my lips. I still haven't found any good sunscreen made specifically for the lips. I would have given this product 5 "lipsticks" easily except for the packaging. I think HT should ditch the lip balm part of the package and sell that separately to whomever finds it useful.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2007 11:44:00 PM More reviews by RedRoses19

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm sorry that this was double posted, my other account was deleted for some unknown reason and I like to be able to update my reviews.

Just to fill you in: The skin around my eye area is fairly dry and dehydrated. I also wear contacts.
I use this sunscreen around my eyes because I CANNOT tolerate chemical sunscreens there(If I try it burns torcherously). This can sting very very little sometimes, it just depends on how sensitive my skin is that day(I use Retin-a around my eye area). I like this sunscreen because it's moisturizing and has a high SPF. I have very dark undereye circles, so I wanted a high SPF to lighten them. It does leave behind a shiny layer, which I just cover with a TEENSY amount of powder after about 30 min to an hour. It can migrate to my eyes a little throughout the day and cause redness and irritation, but this isn't very often, so I choose to deal with it. I also use this on my body when I feel the need for protection there. The chapstick is ok, it doesn't moisturize very well, but the whole point is sun protection, right?=)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2007 7:58:00 PM More reviews by FairyTale18

rated 3 of 5 on 7/31/2007 10:06:00 PM More reviews by chelsea_lynne

This sunscreen actually works pretty good, but the only problem is it's really thick and is hard to wash off. I don't think it caused any breakouts for me, and I have really sensitive/acne-prone skin. I'm going to try to find a better sunscreen, but if I can't, I might come back to this one.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2007 4:26:00 AM More reviews by Ronnie_Aran

This makes my skin oilier than usual, but waaaay oilier. Also, it makes my make up to oxidize a lot, and this didnīt happen with others ss iīve tried. Iīve had a new zit daily since started to use it. I stick with my Banana Boat Sport, better oil control and no break outs. As other reviewers said, the consistency is like elmerīs glue, but that didnīt bother me, since the first days i could tolerate it. It feels kinda heavy as day goes on. Not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/24/2007 1:17:00 AM More reviews by 1914

Be careful when first getting this sunscreen out of a full bottle, it can come out really quick. It's pretty thick which makes it kind of hard to spread around. Once I spread it evenly on my face there is still some white spots but it eventually sinks in. The week I wore this sunscreen I didn't notice any new breakouts or clogged pores.The finish is very shiny. It looks like I rubbed vaseline on my face. I won't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2007 11:57:00 PM More reviews by ajax5455

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have easily clogged pores (sunscreens with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide occlude my skin and make me break out), but I took a chance switching to this from my trusty Neutrogena Dry Touch. I'm really happy with it. It dries matte and has not clogged my pores or irritated my skin. I will absolutely repurchase this sunscreen.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2007 8:14:00 AM More reviews by BurgundyMist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Hawaiian Tropic has really put together a great product! I have oily, acne-prone skin and have been under the treatment of two prescription products (Duac and TretinX .05%) to clear it up since February. The creams are working very well (my skin is almost 100% better), but sunscreen is necessary in the equation! I have tried three different sunscreens on my face during this time and after only two uses, realized that Oil Free Sensitive Skin SPF 50 is close to my HG facial sunscreen! It has never burned me and stands up to all day sun exposure (high PPD and is photo stable). It may feel thick like Elmer's glue, as others have said, but think about how watered down with water or chemicals the other brands must be! This stuff is KEY in my skin continuing to heal, especially with the impending strong rays of the summer sun. It only has a white cast when you initially put it on your skin, which completely disappears in a few minutes. It also really sinks into my skin and leaves a smooth face that is free of oil all day! I haven't used the lip balm yet (I'm addicted to MLS balms), but I may decide to try it at the beach or swap it away. Unlike the sunscreen, it has a bit of a smell.

UPDATE: This is my 2nd favorite SS. Please see my review of my current HG SS,
Banana Boat Dri-Blok Sport SPF 30!
continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2007 1:49:00 PM More reviews by MSAries

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I just used this for the first time today, so this is a preliminary review that I hope to update as I keep using it. I have acneic, clogged, oily skin that burns with most chemical sunscreens, even some moisturizers with sunscreen have burned me. This is a bit thick, and it kind of leaks out of the tube a bit, but it went on smoothly, left only a slight which cast and it sunk in within 10 minutes (white went away). There was NO STINGING!!! I then put on my BE foundation, which went on smoothly. Can't say much about protection since I've been inside most of the day, but I'm going to the beach this weekend and will update after. My hope is that it doesn't break me out.

UPDATE: I have stopped using this daily because it dries me out, but for the beach, it's been great.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2007 10:25:00 PM More reviews by Jaqueta

HG!!!!! I've found my HG sunscreen!!!!

I never thought I would type those words. I have tried (and reviewed) so many sunscreens but there was always something I didn't like about each one. One was too heavy. One was too drying. And so forth. This is the one I've been looking for. It's been estimated that the PPD of this is about 15 which is more than adequate for incidental sun exposure. It has little to no discernible fragrance. I have combo skin that leans toward very dry and sensitive in colder weather. I previously was using Bioderma Max Lait spf50/ppd35 in the summer and the US All-Physical Avene spf50 in the winter. Hopefully I will be able to use this wonderful product year-round and won't need a different sunscreen for every occasion. Right now, I am in love with this product. A lot of people on the Skincare Board have complained about the thick texture (I think it scares a lot of people away) but I find it's very easy to work with if I put it on in very small dabs. I just squeeze out a tiny amount and dab it on a small area, blend it in slightly, and move on to the next. When I'm done, there is a very slight white and shiny cast. I wait about ten minutes and it's gone. I wait about ten MORE minutes and my skin looks as though I've applied makeup primer. The finish is THAT good- my skin looks smooth and even-textured. This has the best finish of any sunscreen I've ever worn, hands-down. It's not quite matte but it looks and feels very natural to the point that I'm able to forget I'm wearing sunscreen. I have extremely sensitive, rosacea-prone skin, and this doesn't sting a bit. I actually ENJOY putting this on in the morning- it makes my TM look so much smoother and my skin looks natural and beautiful. Best part is, my skin will look better over time with continued use of this great product. HG protection for sure! :)