October 2, 2014 | 1812 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Coromandel

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2014 11:55:00 PM More reviews by GlamDiva

Coromandel has a reputation as being a patchouli and white chocolate scent, yet I don't get much patchouli and I get no chocolate. I get a lot of amber. also vanilla or toffee. Warm, cozy, skews a tad masculine. Reminds me a lot of Boyfriend, which I already own.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 12:15:00 PM More reviews by cocochanel4ever

I was lucky to buy Chanel coromandel brand new bottle for half it costs now. The bottle is 6.8 oz huge, will probably last me lifetime, since I only use it when I'm in mood for it. First I bought tiny sample of it, and used it up in 1 week, had to buy full bottle. The smell is absolutely beautiful. If you like oriental, woody smells, you would love Coromandel . I didn't have a chance to explore full les exclusifs line, only Coromandel and Beige, and I love them both. I only like to use it as a dab, not spray, so I pour it in my miniature dab bottle. Little goes long way, I only wish staying power was little better.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2013 10:06:00 AM More reviews by CharismaSL

I am a huge fan of Coco and Coco Mademmoiselle perfumes thus it's no surprise that i fell in love with 'Coromandel'. Apparently they are from the same family/genre of perfumes. That being said, my husband found this very sexy as he does with all my Chanel perfumes especially 'Allure Sensuelle' and he said that this smells exactly the same as that. I actually agree with him because both exude the warmth, sensuality, spicyness, and complexity of a woman. This is different from the others in the collection because it is a strong perfume for an EDT hence a spritz is enough to last all day. I definitely think this is worth the money but if you have 'Allure Sensuelle' then you don't need this. I love both so i will repurchase them both (at different times of course). This is definitely more of a special event perfume!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2013 6:27:00 PM More reviews by Arachne

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I totally get it now, why my BFF is raving and raving. Chanel Coromandel is mind blowing. I'm in love. It's unlike anything else I've ever smelled. The patchouli is not only earthy, but it's sharp and green and dirty. Underneath, there is a softness, like vintage, perfumed dusting powder, but I also get white chocolate and something...minty? There are so many stages and I'm enjoying each one. I'm shocked some of the reviewers said this is too strong. I find it quite soft, but it lingers for a while, which I'm happy about.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/26/2013 11:08:00 AM More reviews by goldenjoy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This review hurts because I had such high hopes and I love Chanel fragrances so much. Coromandel is a well done beautiful scent, but all that comes through for me is this note of wet moldy earth. I get some of the patchouli and the spices with a hint of sweetness. The notes that comes forward the strongest I just don't like. It's not worth the buy for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2013 7:55:00 PM More reviews by Arpita1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been known for years all over the world for my knowledge of and wonderful smelling signature scents. Coromandel can be added to that list. It is a must-have scent if you are an exotic beauty... or just want to look like one! It takes self-confidence to wear this strong, heady scent. It is a classic, very pleasing smell.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2013 8:17:00 PM More reviews by EmbalmerBabe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I just wrote a long review on this and is disappeared :(.

I found this through Katie, she loves it:

This perfume is amazing, I need a giant bottle. The first perfume I can say I need a giant bottle of. Snuggly, cuddly, cozy and soo delicious. LOVE.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2013 12:01:00 PM More reviews by sillage

Coromandel is a beautiful warm rich amber-wood-patchouli (earthy, rustic, bohemian), but it's sooooo strong! It's too strong for me, especially for a *spray*, and that's my problem with it. Whoa, what a wallop it packs! It's practically impossible to spray as lightly as it needs to be sprayed.

I love the scent, it's just my type and basically everything I ever wanted in a perfume. At the time I bought it, Chanel was only selling the ginormous bottle, so that's what I bought. I've barely made a dent in it, because you only need one drop -- and then I feel like it will still fill an entire room, and they'll smell you coming and going. Monster sillage. Although it's extremely wasteful, I advise using the spray-on-cotton-ball-then-dab method with Coromandel.

This stuff is strong! It makes me as self-conscious as if I'd sprayed Tom Ford Black Orchid, Youth Dew, Cinnabar, or Angel -- that's the type it is and how strong it is. It's not an office, movie theater, airplane, elevator, church, or jury duty perfume. It's too strong for small crowded spaces. And at all other times, you still need just a *tiny squirt*!

Coromandel smells almost identical to Prada original -- or Jessica Simpson Fancy Nights -- they all smell alike, to my nose. Honestly, if you own Prada original (inexpensive now at discounters), you don't really need Coromandel too -- there is minimal difference ......

Except that Coromandel is much more well blended than Prada -- it's a much higher quality perfume -- it's just smoooooooth -- smoother than Prada, more complex -- and Coromandel also seems to have a chocolate-y feel to it to me that Prada doesn't have. There's no chocolate note listed in Coromandel, but it seems a bit chocolate-y to me.

But there's a campfire smokiness about it too -- this needs to be emphasized -- which led to the reaction I got of "cigar" scent, described below. Chanel Sycomore also has this firewood smokey quality.

It might just be me -- or my imagination -- but I feel extremely self-conscious when I wear Coromandel -- I feel like a walking perfume bomb. I was once in Blockbuster wearing Coromandel (feeling self-conscious), and a man nearby told me, "You smell good!" -- but I felt like that whole store could probably smell me, and after I left, they'd probably be able to smell it lingering in the air for days.

I wore Coromandel to work once -- only once -- and I was so self-conscious! There was one comment from a coworker that it smelled like a cigar in the office -- "it smells like a cigar in here!" -- and I figured it might be the Coromandel. I never wore it to work again.

So I now have a huge enormous 8oz spray of Coromandel in my closet that I seldom wear -- and when I do, it's a teeny tiny spritz (or dab) -- and only on my days off, when I know I won't be in crowds or confined spaces. It's an excellent scent -- a beautiful warm oriental -- but since it's so incredibly strong to me, my bottle will probably last me 7 lifetimes. I'll leave it to my son in my will.

ADDED 11/27/13: I pulled it out last night and tried it again, since I'm seeing on the board that it's EDT and not really all that strong, in many opinions. Well, maybe that's true, but it stands out in a crowd due to the nature of the scent, I think.

I got a definite "ashtray" note last night. The tobacco-ish, cigar-ish, cigarette-ish ashtray vibe was a little off-putting. And I think heads will turn when you wear it -- maybe not so much from strength, which I was saying originally, but from the rich smoky-amber-patchouli nature of the scent, which really stands out in most environments.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/12/2013 6:47:00 PM More reviews by babaleah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a really big frag. Very bold, smoky/ambery with a bit of spice. I can't quite place what it reminds me of, but it was in the 70's and something like a perfume oil I bought at a "smoke" shop, but with some restraint and refinement. A bit like Prada Amber. Ultimately, I know it's well done, but not a scent for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2012 4:06:00 AM More reviews by Anda

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

If Greta Garbo were a scent, I imagine she would smell like Coromandel.
It's dry and milky, earthy and sweet. There is a quiet, stoic exoticism to it, and it's a weird balance of contrasting facets that are seldom placed this close together; .

I can appreciate the brilliance of this composition but it's definitely not an everyday scent for me because it is very heavy on the patchouli. This scent is too unique to ever be a crowd-pleaser like Coco Mademoiselle, but if you don't like the idea of smelling like a million other women on the street, check Coromandel out.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No