July 25, 2014 | 1538 users online

Foundations - Napoleon Perdis - China Doll Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2014 8:50:00 PM More reviews by Cassjade

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used so many different foundations and this is by far the best I have tried. I have oily acne-prone skin, and considering I'm a hairdresser I sweat and my face gets oily really fast. But I purchased this foundation and I'm so glad I did. The colour matched my skin perfectly and it dries into a powder finish which is a plus. I start work at 9 and don't get home till about 7.30-8 and my makeup looks exactly the same as it did when I left my house. I would recommend this to anyone that has oily skin. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who had dry skin.
The price is abit over the top but honestly you get what you pay for

rated 2 of 5 on 4/16/2014 7:18:00 PM More reviews by sezzajayyy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am a big fan of Napoleon Perdis products, I own several products that i will happily continue to purchase! Yet China Doll is definitely not one of these products.
I have quite dry skin, and this makeup tended to clog up within the areas that my skin was dry and gave me a patchy, almost dirty look to the face. The fact that it was also very hard to blend, and that it gave me an orange look. I have tried different colours/looks of this foundation, but none really seem to impress me at all! Although when i mixed my china doll foundation with my NARS sheer glow, it tended to work out better!
Yet, unfortunately, i would still not purchase this foundation again!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2014 6:42:00 PM More reviews by Bethanydanae2012

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this foundation! It has a very full coverage though, so a little will go a very long way. My tube will last me a a year, and i wear it almost every day. Its great for getting a good coverage (I have lots of redness and some acne) and last pretty long. It also doesn't make me excessively oily like most foundations do. It is a little bit harder to blend and not look super heavy, so i wouldn't recommend for first time liquid foundation users.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2013 1:28:00 PM More reviews by cubbiejules

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I don't know what everyone's gripe about this stuff is. I love it! Went to ulta to purchase a long lasting foundation from smashbox and a beauty consultant turned me on to Napoleon after putting each on the opposite cheek, China Doll covered much better! I prefer to have a medium to full coverage foundation and I thought this was perfect. It's has build able coverage that works perfect for people who need a little more. I have extreme combo skin and China Doll blended beautifully. It never got oily, never flaky, never "moved" and got patchy. I apply my makeup around 6am and even by 8pm of still looks fresh! I've never had an issue needing a primer. I do still use a finishing powder (Tarte Smooth Operator) since I like that look so my forehead gets a little tight but nothing to overly dry my skin. The only things I don't like is the price and amount of product. The SA told me the tube should last me 9 mos...I use a little over a pea size amount every day and I would be surprised if I got past 3 mos. The price is a little ridiculous for what you get but so far this has been my HG of foundations. Some things are just worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2013 9:17:00 PM More reviews by KeIIsBells

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

AMAZING!! But, I'm a poor college student now so I can't afford it.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/10/2013 4:52:00 PM More reviews by Jenhaas504

I wanted to love this foundation so bad, but I just couldn't make it work for me! I tried it with a primer and without a primer, I tried blending by hand and also with my stipple brush but by the middle of the day it literally looked like I had a mask siting on my face. So much that someone even mentioned it looked heavy! Thankfully I was able to return it back to ULTA! This may work for a night out in a bar where it's hard to tell that you have such heavy makeup on, but def not for everyday use!

Update 3/3/14 - I decided to give this product another try hoping that maybe it would work this time, but all the same problems occurred again. Thank goodness for Ulta's return policy!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/3/2013 3:03:00 AM More reviews by Gracejennifer27

nepoleon is a good brand if you have a darker skintone
its shades are very minimal
i have a light skin tone but not really pale and this foundation makes me very YELLOW. i use 'LOOK 2'.
for the best results i mix it with REVLON COLOURSTAY FOUNDATION
it is very spreadible.
But for the cost compared to how much you get in product its silly.

would not buy again because of the orange colour and the price

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2013 1:32:00 AM More reviews by amypoppyflower

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

China Doll is a strange foundation - it is a gel like formula. The finish is quite matte - if you don't have oily skin, you shouldn't really need a powder.

I would probably recommend this for a night out, rather than the day time. I work in a showroom with mirrors everywhere and huge windows, and in natural light I thought I looked as though I was wearing a mask. If I were to wear it out at night, I thought it was pretty nice - good coverage, matte and photographed well also.

I applied with my fingers and blended - which I guess is the lazy way to do it! I wouldn't recommend applying it the way I did. I found that sometimes product would build up in certain places, particularly around my eyebrows. It sets very quickly too, so primer or moisteriser before applying is a must.

I have combination skin - I have a feeling this foundation might make dry skin look a little flat.

I purchased a couple of times - it's pretty expensive but if you do use it as your "night out" foundation, it will go a long way. I was pretty impressed with it, but as with any foundation, it depends on your skin type and tone.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2013 2:59:00 PM More reviews by Roxyaiz2

Let me start of by saying that I don't use this by itself, I mix it with Mac strobe cream and make a tinted moisturizer and its is great . I set with just a little powder ( apply with a brush).. Nice satin finish with light-med coverage.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2012 9:22:00 PM More reviews by Sunflower5418

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This product was recommended to me at Ulta, by an associate with skin similar to mine (pale, yellow, oily). I didn't buy it right away, but when I did, i was in love. It is a fairly thick, self setting cream. You really need a primer for it to go on smoothly, and the color choices are limited (which is why it gets a 4 instead of a 5). But, it leaves a flawless face that doesn't really require a setting powder (but I recommend one for oily skin). It is also very long lasting. Probably most similar to MUFE Mat Velvet, but I think it is longer lasting and overall much prettier.