December 21, 2014 | 898 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Smooth Nails Ridge Filler

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2005 10:19:00 PM More reviews by gwennw

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this product. Every few years or so I go through an acrylic nail phase for a few months. My natural nails pay the price when I get them removed. This is the product that gets me through the 6 month grow out period. I can wear it alone, for a very natural look, with a little clear over the top for a more finished look, an Essie sheer color or any beautiful pigment I want. You can never tell I have the gross ridges from my old acrylics. Even after the ridges have grown out I will use this product when my nails need a little more of a smooth finish. Great, high quality product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2004 7:13:00 PM More reviews by LiisUsa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Eh. Yes, it does fill in ridges but it also adds a lot of thisckness overall to the nail. I find it hard to apply polish over it. Messy. Don't bother.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2003 8:37:00 AM More reviews by brafforton1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product does exactly what it claims to do. I put it on under nail polish to fill in ridges and it creates a smooth nail surface. The color does not effect the nail polish color, since it is very light and almost unnoticeable. Also, it dries rather quickly. What's not to like? I'd definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2003 9:32:00 PM More reviews by brianx

I love this ridge filler. It is a nice natural shade, not white, and makes nails feel so smooth and acts as a perfect base for polish application. This is absolutely a staple in any nail kit and I will definitely purchase again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2003 12:09:00 AM More reviews by KarenCG

This worked great for me -- just as well or better than more expensive brands I've tried. I like that it is a nude color instead of white too.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/9/2003 12:46:00 AM More reviews by minnierat

I got this to help make nail polish go on more smoothly (despite the vertical ridges of my nails), and all it does is make it worse. It's basically just a semi-sheer white/beige buff nail polish, that goes on very unevenly, creating uneven layers that are obvious under nail color polish. Sally Hansen seems to be reformulating a lot of their older products; I hope that this is one they'll fix in the future.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2003 2:22:00 PM More reviews by zephyr2005

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

just bought this - i'd never used a ridge filler before, and i have to say this made my nails a lot smoother! great stuff :)

EDIT: wow, i'm loving this stuff even more now! i put it on underneath some UD nailpolish *not exactly known for staying power*, and it's barely chipped at all for the week i've had it on! very cool

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2003 8:33:00 PM More reviews by shamrocked

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

FINALLY someone was reading my mind!!!

I love ridge fillers. They make your nails flawless. They're a great base for a perfect manicure. They're a nail staple for me.

That said, I'm a ridge filler connoisseur. I've been up and down high and low tryin' them. Found some good ones, some bad ones... some even worse ones. BUT... they're all WHITE. I mean god forbid you want to put a 2nd coat for extra smoothness... forget it, unless the color you put over it is super-dark your color will not be true.

Well the smart folks at Sally Hansen read my mind. And made... a NUDE colored ridge filler (and the masses rejoyced, or at least I did.)

Better yet, it works! Well! Fills in even the worst ridges. And unlike a lot of other ridge fillers I've tried it dries pretty fast! (I am ever so impatient when it comes to nails too, yet I'm typing here in under 10 minutes from putting on my 2nd coat... *yay!*)

Go buy it. It's well worth your money. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2003 9:53:00 AM More reviews by Principessa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I use this every time I paint my nails and have used it for two years. It is an excellent and inexpensive ($3) product. It smoothes out the ridges in my nails and also filled in the chips and peeling caused by the artificial nails I was stupid enough to get for my wedding. This gives a flawless finish and a professional look. People always ask me where I get my nails done and are always shocked that I do them myself!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2002 1:17:00 AM More reviews by glamourdoll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This does do a good job with smoothing your nails in preparation for color. Also it is not cost-prohibitive. If you would prefer not to buff out ridges, I'd recommend this product.