September 22, 2014 | 1746 users online

Styling Products - John Masters - Bourbon Vanilla and Tangerine Hair Texturizer

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2013 7:19:00 PM More reviews by goldrauschengel

This works fine to add shine and definition to my shoulder-length, curly, very thick hair, though on its own it does not provide enough care, so I usually use some hair oil first and then work a little amount of this stuff into my hair afterwards. As everyone says, this smells delicious though the scent fades within a minute, so it is suitable for those sensitive towards perfumes. The texture is very thick and hard to spread on longer hair, but the results are above-average. Still not sure I wold repurchase given the price level.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2013 7:47:00 AM More reviews by LadyFlanders

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I liked it better a couple of years ago, before they changed it, although i's less sticky now. Nice smell too and I only need the tiniest amount in my thick hair, so a jar lasts me a year, which makes up for the hefty price.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2012 5:35:00 PM More reviews by lulublevins

I love the John Masters Organics line. I use multiple products for hair, body & face, and love them all. Once I moved from the dry climate of California to Michigan, I realized I would need something to help my hair in the humidity. This stuff is awesome. It smells delicious, can be used in wet or dry hair and is wonderful at taming fly-aways. I use a tiny bit in the ends of my damp hair before styling and that usually does the trick. If my hair is really dry or it is very humid I rub the teeniest bit between my hands and smooth it over my dry hair. This really helps keep your hair soft, smooth and shiny. The price is not bad either, considering you only need a very minute amount. (my hair is past my shoulders.) Will definitely be keeping this as a staple in my bathroom cabinet.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2010 1:41:00 AM More reviews by MaryEllen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Kudos to benz909 for her thorough review! I don't have much to add to what she said, except to repeat the pros: this smells incredibly fabulous (but is not so strong as to be overpowering), makes hair very soft, is versatile, and goes a long way; and the con: the effects you get don't last. This doesn't have the staying power of even a whipped wax. However, I find myself using it a lot on my short, thick, fine hair. If I just air-dry my hair, I use it for a little control and to tame frizzies and flyways (it is THE BEST product EVER for taming flyaways). If I use my Graham Webb Brit Style Moussing Wax (another great product), it's sufficient to add pieciness and tame anything that got misdirected when blowdrying. If I use salt spray and whipped wax, I still use it on my bangs to piece them out perfectly and to smooth the sides a bit. I got this for a song on eBay and I'm glad I did--it's the most versatile styling product I've ever used (and I've used a lot) and also the best smelling. I would repurchase, even at full price.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2010 10:30:00 PM More reviews by joules6

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Completely fabulous in every possible way. A little goes a long way, which helps enormously to justify the price. Very decadent, luxurious natural hair product, that provides excellent results. Lovely scent as well. Crazy about this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2010 11:02:00 PM More reviews by benz909

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I put "yes" to buy this product again, but I'm still on the fence. While I do love this product and John Masters, there are a few cons to this...

Let me start by saying I never have used styling products in my life for my hair...simply because I have a ton of hair (would take too much time to do anything to it ...like blow drying it...urgh) and I let it dry overnight. I am also hair styling challenged...

My current hair routine consists of his lavender/rosemary shampoo and a variety of conditioners (his citrus neroli, burts bees hair repair grapefruit-shea, or his lavender and avocado conditioner). My hair is medium-thin and like I said, I've got a ton. Naturally, it is wavy.

But sometimes my hair looks too flat, or too poofy or a little frizzy on the back (weird I know). I picked this up on a whim. Rare of me.

It is very small in size, but honestly I just lightly tap my finger in there once or twice and I've got enough for my hair.

How I use it:
Either mix it with my fingers and run it through my hair (more "oompf")
or to tame friziness at the back (flat)
or scrunching my hair with my fingers (for volume)

Sometimes I use a combination of these.

Pros:
-little goes a long way
-scent (i hate the real scent of tangerines, but this is AMAZING)
-makes the hair amazingly soft
-not greasy, even if used in the scalp
-good amount of control with product
-does give volume or flatness, but not extreme (i like this however...looks natural)
-does add some shine, but not a lot

Cons:
-the effect doesn't last...
-doesn't control friziness in humidity throughout the day

A ton of pros that should outweight the pros...however if my hair doesn't look as fabulous two hours later as it does when I first put it on, then that's quite a shame.

You are left with however, super soft, finger run-able hair during the day...which is nice.

It doesn't weigh down my hair and it isn't full of silicone to give a false sense of smoothness and softness.

So you really are getting a high quality- well formulated product. I would still recommend it.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2009 2:26:00 PM More reviews by EcoPretty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Like John Masters' shampoos and conditioners, this texturizer was great. I have fine, slightly wavy hair and wanted something that would give body and texture. This did the job. The key for me, though, is to apply it to completely dry hair. Amazing results. Love its healthy, moisturizing ingredients, too.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2009 11:26:00 AM More reviews by tco

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this product for the healthy natural look while being able to keep my bang under control. I have Aveda pomade and I prefer this one. I tried Aveda men clay, men pomade, and their whipping pomade. None gave a natural look as this one. A little does the trick. I don't spike my hair so I have no idea how it would hold spike. I have straight flowing long hair that is very annoying when I don't use this because it keeps flowing up to my face. This keeps my hair where I want to keep it, out of my face, and I can style my bang without it looking stiff. I don't use alot. Just sparely on the top. My hair still look and feel very nice and natural like the rest of my hair. I love the smell!! Smells like sweet tangerine with a hint of vanilla.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2008 3:17:00 PM More reviews by riotkitty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I recently cut my hair pretty short and I needed a little extra something besides gel to give my hair a more finished, textured look, as well as to keep my bangs straight and separate and hold them in place. This is my product. Its all natural which is important to me, smells nice and doesn't weigh down my hair as long as only use a tiny bit. It is pricey, but you only need the tiniest amount to get the job done. It also seems to make my hair more conditioned.

EDIT- It started building up and bringing my curl down. Iti s still great as a straightener, though.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2008 1:13:00 AM More reviews by robbinrr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This entire line of haircare products is the best! I have long, straight, fine hair and this is the only pomade I've every been able to use. I used to have to use hairspray on my bangs to keep them in place (not the most natural look) but now I just put a little of this my hair instead. The effect is beautiful and natural. Any other product like this would always weigh my hair down or make it look greasy, but not this. It gives my hair shine and wonderful body. The scent is heavenly too ... from natural essential oils, not artificial chemicals. The entire line is certified organic and contains none of the nasty, potentially dangerous products that plague so many of our haircare, skincare, bodycare and cosmetic products today. The skincare line is also incredible. I tried it since I loved the haircare line so much.