John Masters Bourbon Vanilla and Tangerine Hair Texturizer

4.3

UPDATED FORMULA (2012): Ricinus communis (castor seed) oil,* glycerin,* sorbitan olivate, sorbitol, butyrospermum parkii (shea) nut butter,* castor isostearate succinate, citrus paradisi (pink grapefruit) peel oil, pentaclethra macroloba (pracaxi) seed oil,* citrus sinensis (blood orange) peel oil, citrus reticulata (tangerine) peel oil,* vanilla planifolia (bourbon vanilla) bean oil,* citrus sinensis (orange) peel oil, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract,* helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil* * Certified Organic

on 5/29/2015 8:50:00 PM

Very happy with this! I have fine, thin, wavy, shoulder-length hair that can be static-y in the dry (northeast) winter and limp in summer, and this has worked through the late winter into the summer this year. I like a full, volumized, piece-y look, which is not always easy to get with my hair. This stuff, though--I combine it with a Nexxus mousse I've used for years (apply a small handful of mousse, then add this on top), and my hair is a dream all day. Soft, shiny, thicker than usual, touchable and with body yet has that piece-y, tousled look--it's just ideal. I actually had the woman at the place I go for laser ask what I used the other day, which impressed me, given that I assume she knows everything about products.

Loves: that it's all natural and is doing good things for my hair and scalp/skin while doing such a great job with styling, so my conscience is clear about what I'm using.

Notes: I really only need the tiniest smear for my past-shoulder-length hair. Don't be dismayed by the size of the jar. It will last forever for me. I had to experiment with how much to use initially, and too much made my hair lank and greasy. Not a good look. You can really feel it coating your hair, so start extremely small and work up from there.

This works fine to add shine and definition to my shoulder-length, curly, very thick hair, though on its own it does not provide enough care, so I usually use some hair oil first and then work a little amount of this stuff into my hair afterwards. As everyone says, this smells delicious though the scent fades within a minute, so it is suitable for those sensitive towards perfumes. The texture is very thick and hard to spread on longer hair, but the results are above-average. Still not sure I wold repurchase given the price level.

on 5/28/2013 7:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I liked it better a couple of years ago, before they changed it, although i's less sticky now. Nice smell too and I only need the tiniest amount in my thick hair, so a jar lasts me a year, which makes up for the hefty price.

on 5/10/2012 5:35:00 PM

I love the John Masters Organics line. I use multiple products for hair, body & face, and love them all. Once I moved from the dry climate of California to Michigan, I realized I would need something to help my hair in the humidity. This stuff is awesome. It smells delicious, can be used in wet or dry hair and is wonderful at taming fly-aways. I use a tiny bit in the ends of my damp hair before styling and that usually does the trick. If my hair is really dry or it is very humid I rub the teeniest bit between my hands and smooth it over my dry hair. This really helps keep your hair soft, smooth and shiny. The price is not bad either, considering you only need a very minute amount. (my hair is past my shoulders.) Will definitely be keeping this as a staple in my bathroom cabinet.

on 12/12/2010 1:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Kudos to benz909 for her thorough review! I don't have much to add to what she said, except to repeat the pros: this smells incredibly fabulous (but is not so strong as to be overpowering), makes hair very soft, is versatile, and goes a long way; and the con: the effects you get don't last. This doesn't have the staying power of even a whipped wax. However, I find myself using it a lot on my short, thick, fine hair. If I just air-dry my hair, I use it for a little control and to tame frizzies and flyways (it is THE BEST product EVER for taming flyaways). If I use my Graham Webb Brit Style Moussing Wax (another great product), it's sufficient to add pieciness and tame anything that got misdirected when blowdrying. If I use salt spray and whipped wax, I still use it on my bangs to piece them out perfectly and to smooth the sides a bit. I got this for a song on eBay and I'm glad I did--it's the most versatile styling product I've ever used (and I've used a lot) and also the best smelling. I would repurchase, even at full price.

on 9/24/2010 10:30:00 PM

Completely fabulous in every possible way. A little goes a long way, which helps enormously to justify the price. Very decadent, luxurious natural hair product, that provides excellent results. Lovely scent as well. Crazy about this product.

on 9/12/2010 11:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I put "yes" to buy this product again, but I'm still on the fence. While I do love this product and John Masters, there are a few cons to this...

Let me start by saying I never have used styling products in my life for my hair...simply because I have a ton of hair (would take too much time to do anything to it ...like blow drying it...urgh) and I let it dry overnight. I am also hair styling challenged...

My current hair routine consists of his lavender/rosemary shampoo and a variety of conditioners (his citrus neroli, burts bees hair repair grapefruit-shea, or his lavender and avocado conditioner). My hair is medium-thin and like I said, I've got a ton. Naturally, it is wavy.

But sometimes my hair looks too flat, or too poofy or a little frizzy on the back (weird I know). I picked this up on a whim. Rare of me.

It is very small in size, but honestly I just lightly tap my finger in there once or twice and I've got enough for my hair.

How I use it:
Either mix it with my fingers and run it through my hair (more "oompf")
or to tame friziness at the back (flat)
or scrunching my hair with my fingers (for volume)

Sometimes I use a combination of these.

Pros:
-little goes a long way
-scent (i hate the real scent of tangerines, but this is AMAZING)
-makes the hair amazingly soft
-not greasy, even if used in the scalp
-good amount of control with product
-does give volume or flatness, but not extreme (i like this however...looks natural)
-does add some shine, but not a lot

Cons:
-the effect doesn't last...
-doesn't control friziness in humidity throughout the day

A ton of pros that should outweight the pros...however if my hair doesn't look as fabulous two hours later as it does when I first put it on, then that's quite a shame.

You are left with however, super soft, finger run-able hair during the day...which is nice.

It doesn't weigh down my hair and it isn't full of silicone to give a false sense of smoothness and softness.

So you really are getting a high quality- well formulated product. I would still recommend it.

on 4/24/2009 2:26:00 PM

Like John Masters' shampoos and conditioners, this texturizer was great. I have fine, slightly wavy hair and wanted something that would give body and texture. This did the job. The key for me, though, is to apply it to completely dry hair. Amazing results. Love its healthy, moisturizing ingredients, too.

on 3/23/2009 11:26:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I love this product for the healthy natural look while being able to keep my bang under control. I have Aveda pomade and I prefer this one. I tried Aveda men clay, men pomade, and their whipping pomade. None gave a natural look as this one. A little does the trick. I don't spike my hair so I have no idea how it would hold spike. I have straight flowing long hair that is very annoying when I don't use this because it keeps flowing up to my face. This keeps my hair where I want to keep it, out of my face, and I can style my bang without it looking stiff. I don't use alot. Just sparely on the top. My hair still look and feel very nice and natural like the rest of my hair. I love the smell!! Smells like sweet tangerine with a hint of vanilla.

on 4/15/2008 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I recently cut my hair pretty short and I needed a little extra something besides gel to give my hair a more finished, textured look, as well as to keep my bangs straight and separate and hold them in place. This is my product. Its all natural which is important to me, smells nice and doesn't weigh down my hair as long as only use a tiny bit. It is pricey, but you only need the tiniest amount to get the job done. It also seems to make my hair more conditioned.

EDIT- It started building up and bringing my curl down. Iti s still great as a straightener, though.