July 25, 2014 | 1850 users online

Treatments (Face) - Differin Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 7:46:00 PM More reviews by kosh1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

TiyaFab please where did you get this product in Dubai and was it on prescription. Im visiting Dubai and desperately need this product. I tried a sample that my friend gave me and it has cleared my forehead. I need it to clear the other parts of my face. Would be ever so grateful if you respond.
Thanks so much...☺

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2014 5:37:00 PM More reviews by TiyaFab

This looks rather like a cream than gel, but works WONDERS! I apply it to all the acne pron areas of my face before going to bed and it not only prevents acne but also helps fade the old scars.
I've been getting new pimples nearly every week since I got my 1st period in 2005, and it was so damn frustrating. I've been using differin for 3 months and now I only get PMS pimples which clear up real quick!
And also I got this for 30AED, which is about '7' dollars!!! (I live in Dubai) how inexpensive is that!!!!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/29/2014 9:15:00 AM More reviews by koalion

I'm glad this helps some people, but it didn't work at all for me. I had a massive, continuous breakout after taking Plan B (so, hormonal acne) and this didn't do anything but make my skin redder, itchier, drier, and flakier, on top of cysts that continued to erupt. I will acknowledge that this made my skin go from 4~5 new pimples a day to maybe 1~2. But, still, the flakiness made my face look even worse than it'd looked before. I pushed through for two whole months before realizing that my whole face constantly looked like it'd been burned, there would be clumps of dead skin hanging off my face by noon, and it just wasn't worth it anymore.

I now follow a more natural skincare/acne-care routine, which has drastically reduced my hormonal acne. I never put chemicals on my face anymore, partly because of my experience with this gel. For THREE WEEKS after I stopped using it COMPLETELY, the itchiness/dryness/flakiness/all-around irritatedness did not go away, and I started flaking on my chest and arms as well. This really scared me, because it was obvious that the Differin had really, really affected my whole body, not just my skin. I guess it's true what they say to be careful what you put on your skin, it really does get absorbed into your bloodstream.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/9/2014 1:07:00 PM More reviews by Mareike98

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got this from my GP 1,5 year ago. and it worked really good for me! not everything was gone but it was much better! I only used it at night and washed it of in de mornings with water. But then it became summer and I got sunburns all the time. I stopped using it and my skin stayed really good but now It has never been worse so I'm thinking of using it again but it's becoming summer and I don't know if it's a good idea..

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2014 3:58:00 PM More reviews by CollinJK

This stuff is a life saver! I got prescribed this about 5 months ago and it has completely changed my skin. The first couple months are rough, there's an initial break out and a lot of flaking since it deeply exfoliates. A lot of people that gave the product bad reviews were only using it for a couple weeks (it peaks at three months), it has to get worse before it gets better, like many other acne medications. The flakiness was the worst for me because I work in cosmetics and it made my foundation look terrible, but it was definitely worth the struggle. The severe acne that I had on my forehead cleared up and I only break out a little bit in a couple spots now. Something to note is that it's only meant to be used at night, the sun deactivates it!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2014 12:44:00 PM More reviews by oakley21

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

ALLELUIA! I'm finally clear after a year of Hell! Only 2wks ago I was at a new dermatologist appt feeling like Shi* and really depressed over my bright red pizza face. A previous derm had put me on Retin-A gel 2 months prior and my face was a raw, stinging, peeling mess of cysts and rashy bumps. I stayed home as much as possible and kept most of the lights off whenever my hubby was home. Not a fun way to live. But enter wonderful new doctor from heaven! She took one look at my tomato face and said no more Retin-A ever again! It's too harsh for sensitive, rosacea-prone, thin skin like mine. She gave me Locoid lotion for a few days to calm everything down, then Clindamycin in the a.m. and differin at night with cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer. It's only been 2wks, but my skin is almost completely clear, extremely soft and smooth, and not a tomato anymore! It's an Easter miracle! Can you tell I'm excited? LoL I'm not sure which product is doing the most work, Differin or Clindamycin, so I'm posting this review under both products.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2014 8:38:00 AM More reviews by Femke77

I used this product several years ago for about 3 straight years with religious nightly use. It does cause an increase in break-outs at first, like it's supposed to, as it is "cleaning out" your pores and causing the eruptions to come to the surface quickly. In some ppl, it's 12 weeks until they see good results. I don't remember how long it was back then until I got my results but when I did my skin was perfect or near perfect. I stopped using it for a few years and now my skin, for various reasons, is really problematic again. I have started using this as of five weeks ago and I just started the phase where everything is erupting like crazy again. I read that clindamicin phos topical and differin work very well together. In fact, applying clindamicin 3-5 min after differin potentiates the effectiveness of the clindamicin. Also, clindamicin starts working immediately. So I am partnering the two for a short-term period to get through the initial break-out phase of the differin. You might ask, why just short-term? If they work so well together, then why not use them like that continuously? Because clindamycin is an antibiotic and like all antibiotics the bacteria on the skin will develop a resistance to the product and you will not be able to use that product effectively again. I will update to let you know how this works for me.
Also, I use Perricone Blue Plasma as a nightly leave-on gentle chemical peel to help slough off the dead cells quickly. My skin has NEVER been so soft.
So it's differin, wait 4 min, clindamicin top., then Blue Plasma every night. During the day I just let my skin breath with no product. Occasionally I wear cover stay make up. And I use Clairsonic with a salicylic acid cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2014 1:35:00 PM More reviews by niftypineapple914

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is what I spent literally a decade waiting for.
My skin history: severe and constant pustular acne since age 14. Extreme blackheads that would not respond to BHA, glycolic peels, the peeling effect of persagel10, the clarisonic etc etc. Very poor cell turnover rate and hence a lot of congestion, dehydration and tons of surface oil covering a sensitised surface.
Fun right? I cracked a few months ago after undergoing 4 expensive glycolic peels at the best private dermatology clinic did more harm than anything. I'd tried every AHA, BHA and antibiotic, the only option left (according to my new derm who prescribed me the differin) was a topical retinoid or accutane. She prescribed a high-dose (600mg) of Trimethoprim to clear up the acne systematically and quickly because I was scarring badly. . . and this. Glorious, powerful Differin. She handed me the prescriptions and said if these didn't work to completely clear it up, in four months I needed to come back for roaccuntane. To quote her, ''no one should ever have to walk around with a face like that''- it should tell you the state my skin was in after a ten year failed battle.
The differin makes your skin worse initially. I already felt so ugly I couldn't have cared less. It made my blemishes much more angry and so red that layers of colorstay couldn't hope to even remotely conceal them, = but I honestly didn't notice a major purge, maybe the antibiotics prevented this. Within *three weeks*, 90%+ of my acne had disappeared. It's now been 2 months, and I haven't had a single blemish. Not a single one. My skin texture is smooth, the blackheads on my nose are gone, my tzone pores are still big but never swollen and clogged. My complexion is brighter and healthy. I actually look younger. The only evidence of my ten year acne suffering is three leftover scars, two on my forehead and one on my cheek. I am currently applying Trilogy rosehip 2x a day, but am considering buying Obagi's melamix (4% hydroquinone), to speed up the healing process.
Differin has given me confidence that I genuinely haven't had since pre-puberty. I can go out of the house with no makeup. I've even gone to parties and nights out with no base or any sort of blemish concealer. I truly recomend this to anyone with congestion and/or acne. I am also grateful as I have consequently researched retinoids and their unparalleled benefits. My intention is to progress to .3% differin in a few years, then a stronger retinol to help with ageing. I even wear SPF every day now, something I would never have attempted beforehand with my volatile skin. Ergo, the differin's also led to me taking new pride in my skincare.
Life-changing.

My routine, in case it helps someone suffering.
AM: wash with mdformulations cleanser (AHA)
follow with persagel 10 to entire face
follow with Neutrogena sheer dry touch spf 45
spot treat 3 scars with Trilogy rosehip oil

PM: wash with same cleanser
apply Differin .1% to entire face
Usually follow with patting in Trilogy rosehip oil. I love how Differin has enabled me to get away with using a face oil, it feels so nourishing and I have no greaseball face the next morning.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2014 11:53:00 PM More reviews by foxyloxytoo

It's miracle cream!. It does make my skin a little dry, but nothing moisturizer can't fix. Highly recommend!!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/17/2014 7:31:00 AM More reviews by apricotcloud

oh my god. JUST NO.
i got this prescribed by my doctor (i actually asked for it though) since i have/had mild clogged pores which led to mild acne and thought this might be the 'cure all' for my skin. HOW WRONG I WAS. firstly, the gel leaves your skin incredibly oily and it does not 'settle' into your skin. this oily film will leave on your skin all day. secondly, this gave me awful cystic acne which took MONTHS to heal over. i tried this product on/off quite a few times because i know there is supposedly a 'purging' stage but my skin just could not ever seem to get over that. it did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to make my skin better, in fact it made it 100 times worse!!!!! only now after using more simple products (clinique toner/occassional BP gel and oil free make up) is my skin back to normal again. i threw this away and urge anyone thinking about trying it to steer well clear!