August 1, 2014 | 994 users online

Styling Products - Davines - Universal Polishing Coat

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2012 7:40:00 AM More reviews by tigergirly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Sorry to break the exceptional reviews on this product! I bought this to smooth ends and deal with flyaways. I love their Relaxing Fluid and thought it would be the same quality. Unfortunately, my ends felt very dry and crunchy and it did not leave it smooth for long. Bed Head After Party works much better for me, although it's a cream. Pass for me! UPDATE: Ok, tried it again with their trusty Relaxing Fluid and it was a big change! I had perfectly shiny, soft ends. The problem seems to be their Defining Shaping Gel, which was recommended to me when my RF ran out for better hold. RF has MUCH better body, softness and hold and works very well with the Polishing Coat. Excellent reviews restored!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2012 9:35:00 PM More reviews by jhb756

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love this stuff! It smells amazing, in a semi-sweet, clean kind of way. A little bit of it goes a long way (it's creamy and thick) and one tin lasts a long time. I found that it's very moisturizing and will not weigh my hair down unless I use too much of it. The only thing I don't love is the packaging -- the top of my tin sticks sometimes and is hard to take off. Minor issue!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2009 7:00:00 AM More reviews by luvhunni

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

If you like buying high-end pricey things, then this is definitely worth it. It's basically hair oil in the form of a creamy pomade, so it doesn't leave your hair greasy and over-oily; instead, it gives you a nice shiny healthy texture while also giving your hair an overall healthy look. I use it after straightening and even on those days when I haven't straightened my hair at all, I like it to use this to keep my hair frizz-free. It's also good for those aggravating baby hairs that tend to stick up.

Overall, this is a great product! My hair stylist would put a tiny bit of this after straightening my hair. It smells soooo good; as strong as perfume! Throughout the day, I kept thinking, "Someone has on a nice perfume!" Then I realized it was my hair!
The price is a bit steep, it's about $26 but I work in a hair salon and got it for $14. However I'm rating the price according to the retail price and $26 sure is a lot. The amount in this tub is very generous and even if you use it nearly everyday, it will last a looong time. The hair stylists usually finish one tub in 2 years and they're constantly using it!

Also, I like that it's in a tub but I wish there was a better way to open and close it since it's not as convenient, but that's minor. Other than that, the product itself is exceptional!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/17/2008 12:01:00 PM More reviews by Beautyhurts

I LOVE the smell of this product, but for my hair I don't really see much difference when I use this. I try to be careful not to use to much so it does't way my hair down or look greasy. I like this, but it's not a product I have to have.
Update 03/17: I still reach for this sometimes after I blow dry and my just doesn't look right. I put a little of this and it doesn smooth my hair and add a little shine.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2007 11:23:00 PM More reviews by cereza

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love Davine's No. 10 Universal Polishing Coat for Wizards! My hairdresser wasn't even suggesting that I buy it when he put it on my hair, but I smelled that amazing scent and saw how shiny my hair and I was sold. It makes wavy hair look amazing because it separates the locks at a locks end, just like I want. Everyone I've shared it with loves it too. It's going to be at least two people's xmas present. The only drawback is the price. $26 is pretty steep, but I'll pay for it. It's worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2007 4:44:00 PM More reviews by kladd

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2007 8:52:00 PM More reviews by cocoangel

This is a great texturizing product. It is light and does not weigh the hair down. At the same time, it smooths and adds subtle definition. I just dip a finger into the product, rub it between my hands and then finger-comb through my hair. It has a sweet musky smell - wonderful without being overbearing.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2007 10:08:00 PM More reviews by pacificnorthwestocean

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm the kind of gal who asks a hairdresser to not put any product on my hair. This is because I don't like to have my hair product define my fragrance. (I love to choose my own perfume, not have it determined by hair product.) These hair products (I have more than just this one from this line) - all of them do their job very well. A previous reviewer said it just right - this one is a shine and define. It provides a very light finish to your natural style. BONUS is that the fragrance is pleasant, but very light. I'd say it smells sweet, kind of like cotton candy, just a light sugary smell that fades quickly and does not conflict with your own perfume choice.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2007 9:04:00 PM More reviews by namm1gr1s

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I loathe putting styling products in my hair mostly because I hate the way most hair products smell. The Universal Polishing Coat for Wizards is one happy exception. It is a non-greasy, addictive smelling styling wax with a lot of slip. I find that I can wear this in my dry, wavy, untreated hair and then reapply the next day without problems. The trick is to use it sparingly. A dime sized amount will do just fine. If you have fine, oily hair I would stay away from this product. The smell is tough to describe but the consensus among my friends and random people seems to be that it smells--mmmmmm-goood! It's sweet but not stomach curdling so and the staying power is moderate and subtle. The tin is huge, pink and looks very girly. I can't imagine running out of this.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2007 1:14:00 PM More reviews by atomic83

This stuff is fantastic! I have shoulder length, thick, slightly wavy hair that I blowdry straight. It gets VERY poofy after I wash it (only wash twice a week for this reason) but the Universal Polishing Coat for Wizards (I love that it's 'for wizards') calms it right down. I just warm it up between my hands, then apply to the ends of my hair (don't forget the underside!). It really smooths out my hair and helps define it. It doesn't do that great in rainy weather, but it does better than anything else I've tried (I live in the Pacific Northwest). Previous reviewer was right, it totally smells like floral cake batter - SOOO delicious! I paid $22, which is the most I've ever paid for a hair product, but the tub is a good size and I imagine it will last at least 2 years.