July 29, 2014 | 1911 users online

Hair Treatments - Coconut Milk - Hair Soak

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2014 11:05:00 AM More reviews by OhKitsy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My mum had extra coconut milk and told me to wash my hair with it. I thought she was kidding but I made it into a mask. Soaked my hair and then covered it with a hairwash cap for around an hour or two.

After washing it off and shampooing + conditioning as usual, my hair smelled so yummy and it was so.... sooooo soft! The first time it was as soft as a baby's hair. It's lovely and I'd do it again in the future as a treat to my hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2013 2:23:00 AM More reviews by rosateh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Let me tell you gals that there is a difference between coconut cream and coconut milk. Coconut cream is derived when you mix a small quantity of water into a whole grated coconut and squeezed and sieved through a muslin cloth and the liquid is called coconut cream. Coconut milk is just a diluted version of this.
I use coconut cream instead of coconut milk just the same as many prefer to use extra virgin olive oil instead of olive oil. It is easy in the place I live to purchase freshly squeezed coconut cream because consuming curries is part of our culture. You can keep fresh coconut cream in the fridge preferably up to 3 days and if you want to keep it longer you can freeze it. What I do now is freeze it in an ice cube container and is so convenient.

As a hair mask, you can mix some coconut cream with essential oils like ylang ylang, lavender, rosemary, etc and apply it for about 2 hours and shampoo and condition as usual. But what I love the most is mix some coconut cream with my sulphate and paraben free shampoo and it gives you a nice lather. For a long time, I have not enjoy shampooing my hair because the sulphate free shampoo does not give you lather and makes your hair frizzy but coconut cream change all that. I do not even have to blow dry my hair but just let it air dry and you have so much body and bounce. I was so amazed with the result that I kept wondering how did grow so much hair out of nowhere. Coconut cream it seems will help in preventing hair shedding.

Ok, let me give you a tip in culinary in cooking curries. Chill the coconut cream in the fridge until you see a layer formed at the top. Scoop this layer out. You can even use it for you skin but in cooking you use this by gently cooking under slow fire until you see a separation of oil and then you can stir in your pounded spices. Do not add in other type of oils. When you do this, I can guarantee your curries will taste awesome.

PHEW!!! This is the longest review I have written but I hope it helps.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2013 6:50:00 PM More reviews by femmexfatale

I'm naturally a brunette and have curly hair. I recently dyed it blonde and always straighten it. It was very dry and had tons of splits ends, also my hair is medium short, my dream is for long healthy blonde hair. So i decided to try the much talked about coconut milk miracle. I first tried the one from the carton called Coconut Dream. I left in my hair for 2 hours and it felt crunchy dry as if I had put gel but then when i rinsed it and put conditioner ( a sulfate free, with keratin) it felt way smoother than when i would just condition my hair then I finished the carton, so I decided to use the can ones since I heard those are more effective. I used one from thailand since i heard it works better. And I use it daily for either 1 hour or 2, due to the condition of my hair. I have to say my hair is great. I do agree with the other users that after putting the coconut milk in the fridge it does only last like 2 weeks or less, but hey it goes to show how fresh and real the thing is unlike many foods we store in our fridge. Of course i also apply coconut oil after i rinse and condition my hair , and it looks so healthy. I dont need to put gels or hair spray. I almost loook like a natural blonde. except when my roots begin to grow. Now all im waiting for is my hair to grow but i have to be patient since ive only been doing this for 3 weeks. I also started taking pre-natal vitamins for hair growth, and my skin and nails are looking quite spiffy. I am also withholding from straightening my hair for about 3 or 4 months just so it can look extremely fabulous when I do... and just maybe, just maybe it might grow at least a few inches.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2012 7:17:00 PM More reviews by MichiLiebe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Okay, I had tried coconut milk some time before and I didn't see much results from the couple of times I tried it, not to mention the mess and experiencing fallout like one of the reviewers here. Was very disappointed with that remedy that I heard worked wonders. But a couple of weeks ago I decided to buy a can of coconut cream at a local asian store just to see the difference between the milk. Next day I tried it out, combed my hair so that there wouldn't be any tangles or fly aways, opened the can and scooped out the cream and just massaged big spoonfuls of it in my hair. I didn't make that much of a mess like I did with the milk because the cream is thick. Anyway, I waited 2 plus hours before taking a shower and washing my hair. I knew I had to because the cream was drying up and looking like excessive dandruff. Hopped in the shower, rinsed out the cream and shampooed, after that I waited for my hair to dry. My hair felt sooooo smooth and silky, not to mention the coconut aroma, that was really nice. Tried it again a couple of days ago experienced same good results. My hair is definitely shinier than before, darker and more easier to manage, since I'm used to having frizzier hair, that problem has gone away.
So, what I'm saying is, if you felt like coconut milk didn't really work out for you, try coconut CREAM! IT WORKS!! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2012 4:18:00 AM More reviews by icedpinkvega

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

works wonders, smells good, cheap. i'll definitely stick to it.
i slow cook it until it form heavy cream, put it on my hair, wrap with plastic cap and double it with a towel. leaved it for 30 mnt to 1 hour, wash it, rinse with acv, put conditioner on my hair. highly recommend it d (^^) b

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2008 10:59:00 PM More reviews by Frenchmix

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I do coconut milk hair treatments about 2 times a week. I buy the coconut milk in the can from Whole Foods and put it on my hair straight from the can before shampooing on dry hair, for an hour or so. Then shampoo and condition as usual. It keeps your hair really healthy and soft IMO. I have zero flyaways now, I used to have them years ago. I just leave the can in the fridge, lasts about a week and 1/2.

I use this as an all over body lotion also, free of chemicals and junk most lotions have in them, that I don't want on my skin. I've been using this for a few years now for my hair and skin.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2008 1:41:00 PM More reviews by Debbie1963

I wanted this to work - but alas, no luck. I slow-boiled the product so as to get a more creme-like product, applied to my dry hair, wrapped in saran wrap & then a towel, and sat in the sun 30 minutes & read. Nothing. It did absolutely nothing for my hair. Disappointed, but glad I tried it. Next?

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2008 8:34:00 AM More reviews by i9jadei9

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Okay, so I tried this two different ways. The first time I did it just like the previous reviewer, RococoRose, and also had no change in my hair at all. Then I was talking to a friend of mine from Hawaii that said what you're supposed to do is boil the coconut milk until much of the water evaporates and you're left with clumps of white in the bottom of the pan (be sure to not leave it on for too long so it won't burn). Let it cool some and then rub that through your hair, put a cap on your head and a warm towel on top. I left it on for 1/2 an hour and then rinsed and did a conditioning wash. I have to say that after all of this and having my hair start to dry it was still very greasy, thankfully I had nowhere to go so it wasn't a big deal. But then the next morning I did the conditioning wash again and WOW!!! My hair has never looked so healthy and shiny!! I am absolutely in love with this now and plan on doing it at least once a week!! Give this a try and see if it doesn't work better than just pouring the coconut milk on your head!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/4/2007 10:28:00 PM More reviews by RococoRose

I tried this today and REALLY wanted it to be amazing (as I was rinsing out I was imagining gleeming shiny hair), but I was totally dissapointed. I used Coconut Milk from a can. I poured it into a plastic snap lock bag and left it in the fridge like member Jojoba suggested in her notepad, so that it would firm up becuase of the evaporation of the moisture. I left there for over a week and it did not change its state at all. Perhaps this only works if the coconut milk is from a carton. Anyway I poured the runny milk all over my hair and massaged in so that every strand was covered. I covered my head with a shower cap and left for two hours. I then rinsed out (By the way - does anyone else find that when they do hair masks etc, that quite a bit of hair falls out? I do, it is so annoying, I hate feeling loose hair sliding on my body in the shower, ich!), shampooed, lightly conditioned the ends and then blow dried. I did not see the gleeming hair I was imagining! :-( My hair is lacklustre, a bit frizzy and quite lank to be honest, and I know I washed all product out. I have long 'virgin' hair as my hairdressers call it (no dye etc) which is very healthy for reference. It was quite a dissapointment, I so wanted this super cheap alternative to a hair mask to herald amazing results, but it just didnt. I will try again with coconut cream to see if there is any difference. I cant find coconut milk in cartons anywhere near where I live, but will check out some asian grocery stores to see if it brings better results than the milk from a can. I do not mind that this didnt work, because it cost next to nothing, but it would have been great if it had. I will persevere with other coconut products.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2007 1:28:00 PM More reviews by blondeambitioned

Fantastic, ultra-cheap remedy for dry/damaged and color-processed hair! I find coconut cream (easier to use than coconut milk, in my opinion) at my local Asian grocery store for only 99 cents a can! A can easily lasts me a few uses. The cream is much easier to work with than coconut milk, as it spreads easier and stays in better. If you heat your hair, make sure to use a protective cap, as the cream will "melt" and start to get runny as it gets warmer. I do recommend (like the previous user) that you use this on dry hair instead of wet hair. I just rinse it out and give my hair a full shampoo in the morning. This leaves my hair so moisturized and gorgeous that I don't need to do anything but just dry my hair - no finishing cream or anything, it looks beautiful as it is! One of the best beauty secrets I've found here so far.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No