October 30, 2014 | 1899 users online

Foundations - Avene - High Protection Tinted Compact SPF 50

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2013 1:01:00 AM More reviews by englishbliss

This makeup compact works very well for my dry, sensitive skin. Although the colour appears quite dark/deep in the compact, the coverage is actually quite sheer. I have fair skin, and the beige colour worked very well for me. It's nice to have substantial sunscreen coverage included in a foundation that still has a pleasant consistency.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2013 8:20:00 PM More reviews by taniaboox

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this product. I have both colours and use the darker tan colour on sunny hot days . The packaging is light, easy to pop into a bag, has a mirror. I never use the sponge and prefer my fingers which gives me a natural finish. Using warmth of fingers and applying in a sweeping motion like a moisturiser. Beautifully smooth, medium coverage, buildable, looks natural. SPF50! My HG. Would recommend for normal or dry skin as quite creamy.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/26/2013 2:19:00 PM More reviews by hriz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Terrible. Very caky.
I have a combination acne-prone skin, uneven: blemishes, large pores and dry in places.
I applied with sponge.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2012 6:37:00 PM More reviews by nesslee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

i have oily skin for reference. this is a thick creamy foundation, but it emphasized my dry patches, as well as my pores on the cheeks. i really didnt like the finish on me. it was not natural. and there is no way i can use this product, let alone summer. its that cakey. i use it only as a concealer around my nose.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2012 11:08:00 PM More reviews by henrysmom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I originally bought this foundation a year ago when my dermatologist recommended it. There were only two colors, and at the time I told her that even the lightest one was way to dark for my NW20 skin. She told me it would work (she used it and she is paler than I), and if I didn't like it, I could bring it back. I got it home, felt it looked like greasepaint, and threw it in the back of my drawer.

A few weeks ago we were going to Arizona for a week, so I decided to give it a try due to the high SPF. I wore it the entire week, and applied it with the sponge since I didn't take my brushes with me. A strange thing happened...I actually started getting compliments on my skin! My skin is not my best feature...age spots and freckles, discolorations and crepiness which show my age (53). But I did look pretty good! The color is admittedly not an exact match, probably a bit warm for me, but blends it very well and gives me a healthy look. It does not completely cover imperfections, but blends them in quite nicely. I didnt use concealer when I used this, and really didn't need it. I do apply it over moisturizer so it goes on more evenly and smoothly.

Since my trip I have used it a few times and am pleased with the ease of application and the nice finish. It does apply nicer with a brush, but I grabbed this when I didn't have much time, so the sponge was fine.It goes on creamy, but quickly dries down to a silky powdery finish. I would buy it again, especially to use for those times when I am outdoors for an extended period during the day. I doubt it would become my everyday foundation, especially since Ive already hit pain and it was pricey. A very pleasant surprise.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2012 11:01:00 PM More reviews by shbeth16

Originally purchased this (beige-colored) at a MedSpa prior to a sun-filled vacation. Initially, it appeared like cake make-up from the 70s. I sat on it for a while. I let a fiend try it first, she loved it. Now I swear by it. Like others I use moisturizer underneath for ease in applicatin, and more even coverage. I use wet yje sponge, use just a few swipes, and it looks as if I am not wearing very much make-up at all, which I could never muster. Just repurchsed on amaxzon for 1/2 the price.

To note, the beige tint doesnot appear too dark for my fare skin.

I'm loyal to my foundation, till the day it's discontinued :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2012 9:51:00 AM More reviews by amanda23

Holy crap is this stuff amazing! Initially I didn't give it much of a second glance because it looked like grease paint and I couldn't imagine it controlling my oily t-zone. But after using it, I am floored! This gives a beautiful, matte but not too matte finish and it lasts! After 10 hours, it still looks good! I am a true blue Studiofix powder foundation lover and never dreamed that I might switch to something new. I'm so stoked I tried this! I might also add that I notice 2 sets of reviews for this, the other set being rated very low. I am wondering if they maybe reformulated their product because my experience with this stuff was amazing, I couldn't imagine anyone rating this poorly. Update: I was a little disappointed to hit pan so quickly but I've found that if you scoop out the sides, it really does last much longer than you would think! I've gotten an entire months use out of digging product out of the sides! Still HG.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2012 7:32:00 PM More reviews by mooneyes89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Goes on smooth and great. Color blends welil. Not moisturizing OR drying. I must wear a cream under it so it doesnt cake, but other than that its amazing, it looks natural and beautiful and its the best quick sunscreen for on the go! I love the container and sponge! Great to put on makeup when your hands are not washed on the go.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2010 8:08:00 PM More reviews by Tovah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I've been regularly purchasing this compact for 4+ years, and I'm very happy with its performance. I use it for sunscreen protection when I'm outside for many hours gardening, or swimming, etc. I don't use this as my "makeup" for a couple of reasons: 1. Out of only two choices,( I use Beige), there isn't a color match to my skin, and 2. This is really THICK. Avene Tinted Compact offers fantastic non-chemical sun protection. It coats skin, creating a protective, water-resistant barrier. In order to get this kind of protection from other products, no matter how "micronized", I'd have to deal with the whitening or grey discoloration. As a high-powered sunscreen, this gives me protection without looking like I'm wearing white greasepaint. This sunscreen is fairly water/sweat resistant, and I can apply it whenever I need it, over makeup, and over bare skin. I keep it in the Family Sunscreen Bucket, and I carry it with me for the beach or days with long sun exposure. This does not have the light texture of today's cream-to-powder compact foundations, but feels more like old-fashioned pancake makeup. It definitely looks like rather thick makeup, so, unless your usual look starts with Ben Nye or Mehron, you'll probably use this only for non-whitening sunscreen when you need something heavy-duty. However, unlike "stage/theatre" makeup, this doesn't cover discoloration, but it does help to even-out my coloring, and it has a smooth, non-oily finish.

UPDATE 1/5/14 - I have replaced this product with Per-fekt Beauty Skin Perfection CC Creme SPF 30, in Radiant. For my skin, the Per-fekt CC is everything I wanted Avene to be, and I can wear it as foundation.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2010 9:35:00 AM More reviews by JudgeJudy41

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I received this as a gift with purchase ( full size ) and can't comment on price. What I can comment on is, my love for this powder. It is identical to Benefits Some-Kind-A-Gorgeous! The only difference is, Avene's cream to powder has a SPF50 ( Benefits doesn't ). It starts out as a creamy, silky luciousness and dries down to a nice powder finish. Perfect for my NC20 dry complexion. With this having excellent sunscreen ingredients, I can wear this and know, I'm getting great protection. Don't hesitate in giving this a try, but try using it sparingly! I had to take off 1 lippie, because it is a small amount for the price. I'll use this during the winter months only.

Box states: active ingredients Titanium Dioxide 18% and Zinc 4.9%