April 18, 2014 | 2010 users online

Lipstick - Maybelline - Wet Shine Diamonds - Gem Crushed Merlot

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2006 2:38:00 PM More reviews by LittleGnome

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I like the initial color of this lipstick, it looks darker in the tube, but it applies very sheerly like a garnet-amethyst wine color. Does not stay on long without a lipliner on; lasts maybe 3-4 hours with lipliner and a bit filled in on the lips. The texture is very glossy and goes on thinly. The "diamonds" part wears off quickly but it does leave a colored stain on your lips for quite a while. Find it to be a bit drying but I love the color.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2005 2:48:00 PM More reviews by tooextreme4you

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this one on a whim, and I never really used it until now. It's not as scarily dark as it looks in the tube. It goes on my lips as a sheer reddish pink with shimmer. It makes me look "made up" without being so...made up.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2005 2:04:00 PM More reviews by meltywarhol

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This looks so pretty in the tube, and nothing like that on my lips. I was expecting a deep wine color with shimmer, but I got a natural red that was just a bit shimmery, not strongly so, which quickly (like within half an hour) faded to more of a dark pink. Seriously, the color payoff sucks, and that's important with a drugstore lipstick that you can't try before you buy. I would definitely not buy another one of this line because even if it's cheap I don't want to play lipstick roulette! I keep trying it with different shades of lipliner and with a red liner it pretty much just makes the underlying red more glossy, because the lipstick is so sheer, and with a nude liner it's more subdued red but it still fades quickly; the only advantage is that you don't have to rub it on as much to get color. At least the fade color is wearable, not some awful fuscia. If I were experiencing a lipstick shortage I'd keep this, but I have so many other nice red lippies that I really have no need for this under-performer. Oh, and those advertisements are CRAP; the lipsticks are nowhere NEAR that glossy. They're just sheer lipstick like Clinique moisture sheer but way worse in terms of color. Don't buy one just to satisfy your curiosity.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/5/2003 7:05:00 AM More reviews by Shanrae

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I so wanted to like this. It looked so good in the ads, and I love the color in the tube. But, alas, I am not a fan. It's way too dry for me, the color isn't as shiny as I wanted, and it lasts like half an hour. Will NOT purchase again.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2003 2:31:00 AM More reviews by calyx_girl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Maybelline have done it again! This lipstick is a beauty must-have, and at its price ($AUD11.00) it's a steal.
'Gem Crushed Merlot' is a wonderful deep shimmery-red shade. With my pale skin tone, there aren't many red lip colors that look 'right' on me, but this one looks great! (If I do say so myself. :)) Lipstick goes smoothly and does not have that horrible 'taut dryness' that some other budget lipsticks have. I often use this shade sparingly layered over the top of a clear gloss for a subtle daytime look, or blended with a similar-shaded lipstick for a great evening shade. All in all, it's a great lipstick and I highly recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2003 5:29:00 PM More reviews by smash

I originally bought this for someone else, but after trying it, I kept it for myself! I never would have picked out a shade this dark, but I like it. (After reading others' reviews, what works on me might be the fact that it does go a bit pink upon application.) The microglitter does not bother me at all, but YMMV. It's a nice, moisture-rich lipstick and a lovely deep color. I highly recommend it for PPP gals like myself who otherwise shy away from such dark, deep colors. ETA: Yesterday I put this on before going to brunch. After brunch, I ran several errands, went home and took a nice, long nap. When I woke up, this lipstick was still on! I'm bumping up my overall rating to 5.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2003 12:45:00 AM More reviews by DanielleWilliams

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's a deep red, but a bit too fuchsia based. I'm quite picky with reds - this one did not flatter me at all.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2003 5:34:00 AM More reviews by mriaow

This is a sheer, dark but bright red with microglitter. The glitter doesn't feel as gritty on my lips as some of the other shades- no more so than Chanel Infrarouge. I love this colour, but I wish it was more 'merlot'- it quickly turns a brighter ruby hue. Still pretty though!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2003 12:53:00 PM More reviews by JGardella

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a dark ruby red colored lipstick with tiny micro-glitter for a sparkly effect. It has a shine to it which saves me the trouble of needing to top it with a clear gloss. I like it because it doesn't feel dry on my lipes. My only gripe is that it wears off pretty quickly and leaves the micro-glitter on my lips.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2003 1:04:00 PM More reviews by CoverModel

This is a very nice dark red shade.
It is not shiny like the exagerated advertisements they do in the magazines but it's still a good lipstick. I like it paired with an Avon Glazewear lipstick like Lolita or Tickled Pink,it gets very shiny that way!