April 24, 2014 | 1467 users online

Liquid - Physicians Formula - CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2013 5:28:00 PM More reviews by DLYNN

Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation is (or was) a truly amazing product with build-able coverage and a better match for my skin tone, in Creamy Natural, than any other product I have tried. Unfortunately, this foundation was destroyed in the market by its poor brush-on squeeze applicator, which always began to break (leak) about half way through the bottle. The secret to successful application, I found, was to pull off the brush from day one and just dispense it in that manner. Sadly, the applicator was just frustrating enough that many people, including myself initially, did not get past their frustration with the product's packaging to appreciate the formula itself and this frustration pretty much skewed any and all reviews for this product online from Day One.

I used Estee Lauder Double Wear Light foundation for my wedding and while I appreciated the staying power it really felt and looked, due to both the color and texture, very artificial. In fact, the gal who sold it to me suggested I use a primer but doing so with any foundation, in my experience, only alters a foundation's staying power for the worse. For this reason, I am of the belief that a decent foundation ought to deliver a pleasing texture without having to layer on multiple products.

What I like about this PF product, by contrast, is that it provides department store foundation staying power but without the unnatural or heavy feel. Notably, it did not transfer to my cell phone like so many "luminous" or tinted moisturizing (anti-aging) formulas, yielding instead a neutral finish with the blemish, wrinkle and discoloration concealing power I was looking for. In fact, I would say this is the first foundation I have used that offers better-than-average coverage yet somehow manages to remain natural without an overt made-up finish. This is also the first foundation I have used on my combination skin where I have found it actually looks better by the end of the day than it did starting out. That NEVER happens with any other product I've owned.

Needless to say, I am seriously disappointed that nobody is stocking CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation any more. Although the manufacturer, who does not officially list it at this time as "discontinued", still stocks this product, what actually occurs is that buyers are redirected to check out through Drugstore.com, at which point one is informed that the product is no longer available.

In comparing the new line of PF YouthWear products to this line, there is very little overlap. From what I recall, the YouthWear foundation does not have GABA or any other "cosmecutical" ingredient. The new formula/product does not claim to minimize wrinkles, just the "appearance" (which is subjective, regardless).

As drugstore brands go, Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50 Wrinkle Therapy Foundation was in a class by itself. I was able to ditch under-eye concealer and it did not dry my skin or break me out with regular use. When applied without the brush in the way I typically apply foundation it had no streaky, cakey, plastic, pasty, waxy or greasy "issues" (I also believing that *not* using the same brush every day to apply it made the application of this product more sanitary, probably another reason I broke out less). In conclusion, absolutely every other foundation I have tried is flawed in one of the aforementioned ways but not this one. In fact, the worse I can say other than the brush-on applicator is that it had a mouthful of a name.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2012 9:16:00 PM More reviews by mirageangelhope

I hated this!I only paid 3 dollars for it thank goodness full price here is 18 dollars.
My issues with this
There was no coverage
It's streaky(with a brush tip applicator)
The first one I bought the product didn't reach the tip and just started leaking out the middle where the brush part and foundation container meet.
Just stay away

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2011 9:03:00 PM More reviews by GMJAG

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am here to give this wonderful product justice! I don't understand the bad reviews at all. CoverTox is great! I am actually a teenager believe it or not! So I don't know about the wrinkle part, but for coverage, it's excellent! I had 2 zits that were at a head and I couldn't resist popping them :( So anyways they looked pretty bad after doing so, but they did get flattened out, so it was easy to conceal them with this gem. The brush makes the application go on smoother and blend for a 'no makeup on' look. The shade I used was in sand beige. It matches me perfectly. I actually stole it out of my mom's makeup drawer when I was in a dilemma and am so glad I did! I guarantee she will be missing this one! P.S. I know she uses it to conceal mainly, and to use for under her eyes for fine linesand she loves it and she looks sooo young for her age! So its great for all ages! Must buy at the drugstore!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2010 9:05:00 PM More reviews by Kathy123

The first time I bought this, I hated it but now I know why. The product looked hard to spread and the brush was too hard to apply. Also, the shade was off. The product that I got before was an old product and that is why the product was completely useless. I gave this another try because of the ingredients. My skin responds so well to GABA. I am NC 30 and the Natural Beige shade was a perfect match. I apply this without a primer under my bronzer and my skin looks and feels great. I had these little break outs around my lower lip that disappeared after starting using this. Overall, this is a great product but you need to make sure that it is not old and it has not been sitting on the shelf for a long time.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/31/2009 2:54:00 PM More reviews by cejohnson28

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the worst foundation I have ever used. I DO NOT have sensitive skin but this stuff set my face on fire. No coverage, awkward to use... uneven texture. Truly a disappointment from Physicians Formula. I sent them an email and tried to contact them to express my dissatisfaction and received no response.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2009 8:23:00 PM More reviews by Mckinley

When I moved from Michigan to South Florida I found that my regular foundation now felt like a mask and I started breaking out due to blocked pores. After trying maybe a dozen different types of foundation and getting little success I tried covertoxten and found the foundation that really worked for me. It provides an even coverage which is light and doesn't make my skin feel like it is covered with a layer of plastic. I really love this product however I hate the container. The brush always starts leaking at the base and only about 2/3 of the foundation can be squeezed out of the container. Also when using a powder over it if not used carefully it tends to cake. I will continue to use this product because it works for me in this (extremely humid) climate.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2009 11:58:00 PM More reviews by smrtblnd

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the WORST foundation ever! Found this at 40% off at Long's drugstore and thought I'd give it a try. My usual HG Revlon colorstay was out of my color. My skins been looking a little dry. Probably because of having to use my heater more than ever due to record cold temps in Southern Calif (35 at night!). ANYWAY when I attempted to squeeze out the product the tube split below the lame application brush. The coverage was minimal and I made the mistake of wearing it all day. My face was an oily mess by the end of the day and 3 days latter I have 5 huge cystic zits. Run away from this toxic product!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/15/2008 5:21:00 PM More reviews by Chellynae

I really expected to hate this product because of the terrible reviews. In fact I almost returned it without even trying it because I was so sure I would hate it. I don't though. I actually like it pretty well so far. It has medium coverage and will not completely cover blemishes, but I think it looks very nice. It's not heavy like I expected it to be. It doesn't feel or look masklike to me. I did notice however that it WILL grab a hold of the powder you use over it and therefore using too much powder gave me the mask look. I recommend a translucent powder with this product. My skin looks really smooth and it actually makes my pores look really small. It's a very humid day today in Texas and my hair is frizzy, but my makeup looks just fine. I will wear this for a few days and give an update, but so far I think this stuff is super and am hoping that it can be my HG.
**UPDATE: I used this foundation for about a week and took it back. It felt nice and looked ok, but after one week my blemish free skin looked like a Totino's Pepperoni Pizza. I am NOT happy about this. I work very hard to keep my skin clear only to have it destroyed by one week of this foundation. Also, the crazy thing is, I swear it actually accentuated my wrinkles! I'm only 30 and am really not wrinkly but noticed myself seeing lots of new wrinkles while wearing this foundation. I thought it was just because I was focused on them since I was using a wrinkle fighting foundation, but now that I've quit using it for about a week I never see those wrinkles anymore. So, it made me look old and pimply. ICK! Never again!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2008 6:16:00 PM More reviews by kristinpece

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Great for deep forehead wrinkles and brow furrows. Also seemed to finally give me a poreless, velvet complexion. The trick is to sleep with it on. Then wash face in morning and don't wear it during the day. Nothing else has ever helped my forehead lines or my oily skin and large pores. I do not wear this during day, I don't have too, this has literally changed the look of my face and I don't even need make up in the day time. I wish I had found it years earlier, I think my forehead and brow lines would never have progressed to the depth they are now.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2008 11:02:00 PM More reviews by innamorata

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Quite possibly the most sucktacular foundation I've ever tried.

First of all, the price. I paid thirteen dollars for this crap and you better believe I took it back to the store and got my money back.

Second, the attached brush. Since I'd done my MUA homework, I knew that the brush was pretty much useless, so once I got home I immediately unscrewed the brush from the base (really not hard at all, you just twist it a few times while pulling) and put it in the cabinet. The makeup itself flows out of a few holes with a plug in the center, so it's easy to just dab some on a makeup wedge and apply.

Last, the wear. The color I chose, Classic Ivory, was the lightest and was an okay match. It didn't give my face much color or brightness...it's pretty much a neutral ivory color, not warm nor cool (I have oily, PPP, very cool-toned skin with no yellow tones whatsoever). I applied some one evening at home over clean skin and the few hours that I had it on, it wore okay. No nasties or shinies or whatever (I wore Corn Silk loose powder on top to set it). I didn't really notice a great deal of wrinkle reduction, but then I've been blessed with a "young" look so I don't have a lot of wrinkles to start with. People always think I'm younger than I am (I am 38), but I've started to notice little lines at the corners of my eyes and on my forehead that I'd just like to cover or camouflage if at all possible. While this did cover nicely, I didn't notice any huge, remarkable difference. The texture of my skin really didn't change.

The next day, I applied around noon and went about my day. I would like to point out that I did not apply a ton of this...in fact, I was pretty conservative in my application, considering I was using a makeup wedge and could therefore more accurately control how much product I was using than if I was using the brush. I again used the Corn Silk powder to set it. After a few hours, I noticed the foundation was starting to break down around my nose, and I was getting the dreaded "spotty nose syndrome". You know, where the foundation wears off on the skin of your nose but stays in the pores, leaving a spotty look. I looked in the mirror while outside, and even with a very conservative application this looked cakey after a few hours. By the end of the day, my face was an oily mess, with the foundation breaking down and looking splotchy and goopy.

But the best was yet to come. That night, I noticed a weird red, bumpy rash along the right side of my jawline, extending down onto my neck area under my chin. The next morning, the red bumps were still there, but they were joined by their friends the pimples, which had appeared all over my chin and cheeks. That sealed it...I was going to try it with a primer underneath, or trying it with the matching pressed powder, but if it's going to give me zits and a rash then forget it. I work too hard to keep my skin clear to have some stupid, nasty foundation ruin it.

Oh yeah, and about SPF? Putting SPF in makeup is just to fool consumers into buying a product. You can't put on makeup with SPF and expect it to protect you all day. In fact, you can't put on SPF lotion/cream alone once a day and expect it to protect you all day. You have to reapply during the day for continuous protection. So unless you're prepared to take off all your foundation at least once a day, possibly more, and reapply, then SPF is pretty much useless in makeup. Carry an umbrella or wear a hat.

If it works for you, great, but it didn't work at all for me. I would say, if this is a foundation that works for you, just take off the stupid brush (why does PF resort to such gimmicks, anyway?) and use a makeup wedge. Once you've applied, stick the square fat part of the makeup wedge over the hole and screw the lid back on, with the skinny flat part scrunched up in the lid. This keeps the foundation from leaking all over the place.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No