September 2, 2014 | 1216 users online

Hair Color - Manic Panic - Temporary in Vampire Red

rated 3 of 5 on 8/12/2014 10:18:00 PM More reviews by JustEissler

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Out of all the red dyes that I've tried over the years, Manic Panic Vampire Red is definitely my favourite with regards to colour. I've dyed my hair red many times (with box dye), and I've always kept a jar of this stuff on hand to enhance/touch up the colour.

That being said...

It's messy. Very messy. By far the messiest hair product I have ever used. So messy, in fact, that I do not believe I shall ever use it again. I have made that promise to myself before, and always seem to wander back, forgetting about the stained clothes, the stained skin, the stained bathroom, the stained...everything...but I'm going to try to stick to my promise this time. The colour is awesome, but in my opinion, it just isn't worth the hassle. Yes, all hair dye is messy to some degree; however, when I talk about stained skin and clothes, I don't mean that things get stained WHILE I'm dying my hair (they do, but that's to be expected). I mean that the dye constantly leaks and drips and stains even WEEKS after applying it. You sweat a little? Red stains on your skin and clothes. Your friend flicks some dishwater on you for fun? Red stains. It rains, or snows, or is humid, or hot? Yup, red stains. No matter how well you try to rinse your hair in the shower, it still somehow ends up dripping the second it is exposed to any moisture.

Manic Panic is fabulous, and this is a fabulous colour. If you can handle the maintenance and the staining issue, by all means, give it a try. I am simply too lazy to bother.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2014 5:51:00 AM More reviews by NOLACreoleGirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This review is on the original Manic Panic Vampire Red in the jar, not the Amplified version. I Picked up 2 of these semipermanent dyes in Vampire Red from Sally's. I recently bleached the very front of my hair to try and go purple but I was too chicken to let it lift all the way so I got purple roots and plum-ish ends. Do not want. I originally used ColorFix from Sally's as well to lift LAYERS of black hair dye before I bleached the front of my hair. Once I saw that this was possible (with minimal damage) I started thinking that I wanted my red hair back. IMPORTANT: do NOT attempt to dye hair immediately after using ColorFix. Your hair will go back REALLY dark. Trust me. So I lifted it as much as I could and a few days later I dyed my hair with Red HiColor HiLights for Dark Hair Only from L'Oreal then again with Magenta from the same brand to make it vibrant. Yes I know bad bad bad. The front was TOO bright, but I figured this would happen using a For Dark Hair Only dye on bleached hair. So I used the Vampire Red to tone that down some. You KNOW it had to be bright if this toned it down. I added a FEW drops of Adore Indigo and African Violet to make it a little darker. It really made a huge difference. It's a DEEP red and the front just looks highlighted. I left it in overnight to intensify the color and to see if this would make it last any longer. My hair felt really overprocessed after dying it 2 times in a row. I didn't condition it, but put this on immediately after rinsing all the dye from my head. When I rinsed my hair it felt VERY soft and almost as if I had conditioned my hair anyway. That was a BIG plus for me. This is my 1st time using Manic Panic so I can't speak on run off and fading just yet. I'm assuming as with any temporary (or permanent) red hair color, it'll fade really fast. This is a process I could imagine doing 2 times a month. Anymore and I'll be aggravated lol. I don't wash my hair with shampoo but maybe 2-3 times a month so I imagine that'll help with making this color last. I do cowash often so the plan is to add a red semipermanent dye to whatever conditioner I'll be cowashing with to help renew the color each time. All in all, I'm happy with this product. It did stain my skin a bit, but I'm hardheaded and I didn't use any block or Vaseline to prevent this from happening. I wish for the price you got more product. I used 1.5 just to cover my hair. With a lot of the more inexpensive ones, I'm able to cover my entire head with one bottle. Depending on how long this lasts, I could see me buying this again. I'd like to try the Amplified Vampire Red (same company but it's said to last longer) but I can't find it in my area.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2014 9:58:00 AM More reviews by MerokoYui

I've been looking for a dark unnatural red dye for a while. When I saw that the reviews for Manic Panic Vampire Red were mostly positive, I decided to try it. My hair is a couple of inches past my shoulders and 1 jar was just enough.( If your hair is very thick and longer than mine, you will definitely need to buy 2.) Prior to applying the vampire red, I decided to bleach my hair with L'oreal Blondissima, since my hair was very dark from previously being dyed dark brown. I only bleached my hair to a light brown shade since I was afraid of damaging my hair. After washing the bleach out I noticed that some parts of my hair were significantly darker than others. However, since I did not have any more bleach left I decided to just go ahead with the vampire red and hoped it would turn out ok. I used a brush to apply the dye and it wasn't as messy as I thought it would be. (I've used way messier box dyes before using this!) I was careful not to stain my bathroom, however the dye that touched my skin ended up staining it a light pink color. When I rinsed and dried my hair I liked the color a lot, even though some parts were very dark. However, that was my fault due to the uneven bleach job I did. The color by my roots came out a brighter red and the rest of my hair was a very deep red.I dyed my hair 5 days ago and I still have stains on my skin. In my opinion the worst part of vampire red is the fact that the water will never run clear when you rinse your hair! My towel is covered with pink stains and every time my hair gets wet it bleeds. I should also mention that the dye has no unpleasant odour at all as it is a vegan product .It also left my hair feeling very soft and conditioned. Overall I like the color and the fact that the product left my hair in excellent condition. I washed my hair once since dyeing it and the color has only faded a little bit so far. I am considering trying a mixture of Vampire Red and Purple Haze next time, but first I will even out the bleach color of my hair as I would like a more even color.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/6/2013 5:00:00 AM More reviews by blackhalo

I didn't have good luck with this. It was the most beautiful color initially, my ideal hair dye color, but after one wash it was only auburn and lasted a week at most. I have medium brown extremely soft and fine hair. In my experience when I use burgundy shades the purple washes out on the first wash and this product was no different, however it was more expensive than a box dye and much less pleasant to apply. One of my biggest beauty disappointments!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2013 9:15:00 PM More reviews by alinacross

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my ultimate favourite hair colour. Given I've bleached and dyed my hair so much, I thought I'd give it a break by staining it with manic while I let the blonde grown out... the result is a phenomenal ombre that has lasted me almost a full year already! I re-dye about once a month, and use colour depositing conditioner by revlon in between retouching.

I switch back and forth between Vampire Red and a Vampire Red-Purple Haze mixture (which is also beautiful, a little richer, and gets me a lot of compliments)!

I have a photo of myself on my profile with Vampire Red in my hair - I like this colour because it's not too hot of a red, instead its deeper and richer.

The only thing I do not love is the packaging... I find it messy and once you open it, it seems to forever leak! This isn't usually a problem for me though as I have a ton of hair and always require the whole bottle.

I highly recommend for anyone planning to go red!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2013 1:39:00 PM More reviews by hellion603

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've used manic panic vampire red for 2 yrs now, and I still love the color especially in the sun, it's beautiful. I have naturally dark brown hair and I wanted to try something new, but didn't wanna bleach or damage my hair to much. When I dyed my hair I left it in over night hoping to achieve the best color. After rinsing and all I thought the color was a purple till I went outside and saw the beautiful deep red shade, I touch up every 4 months when I turn a slightly dark fushia/magenta.
I do love this product and in this color I've bleached my little sisters hair and used this color for her she loves it too.
The only issue I have is the bleeding and staining factor, my tub turns red with every dye I do and I have to break out the comet. I've ruined countless towels (black ones at that) a few t shirts and pillows, but beauty has it's draw backs too.
I do plan on continuing to keep my color and $9.99 at sallys beauty supply isn't so bad but I stock up around Halloween from party city when they are on sale for 5 dollars.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2013 1:06:00 PM More reviews by Megatonisforlovers

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I absolutely love, love, love this hair product. To the color is gives me, to the fact it's animal testing free. I love the red is pink based not orange, that its a darker more magenta red & it never damages my hair, actually it leaves it feeling great. i even used it on my hair extensions, amazingly even on my hair extensions which are of course a different type of hair than my own I got the same color I always get compliments on my color. I wouldn't know if it fades quickly or not for I do wash my hair as little as possible & I color every two weeks. My only complain is the color literally stains everything & anything though it easily comes out with a good hit of Shoot & a wash or two. & when my hair is wet the color it will "leak" everywhere. Other than that I really really wish Manic Panic made permeant hair dye, oh well. Still love this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2012 6:22:00 PM More reviews by KacieLuebke

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I work at hot topic and we carry manic panic and raw hairdye. I usually prefer the raw because its more vibrant and lasts longer but we were sold out of red so I thought I'd give the vampire red a shot. I just died my platinum blonde hair a dark burgundy three days ago and it turned out a dark purple/fuschia color. It was pretty but i have warm skin so it was very unflattering to have such a cool red and I also wanted something more vibrant. So, I bought the vampire red and put it over my burgundy hair yesterday and VOILA. It added such a beautiful hue and was crazy vibrant! I only left it on for 25 minutes and it worked like a charm. My only complaint is after dying I rinsed my hair for a good 30 minutes and couldn't get the water to run clear and my two showers since it's still bleeding, but oh well! The best thing is it doesn't leave your hair damaged at all:) Look under my photos to see the results.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2012 3:10:00 PM More reviews by DamnSatyr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

"Vampire Red" is one of my go-to hair colors. I'm naturally a very dark brown, so even with no lightening it comes out a lovely dark red wine shade, and if I do lighten it pops to a near firetruck red.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/24/2012 2:35:00 PM More reviews by DarkSideChic87

I used this color to dye my hair for part of a Halloween costume. I dyed over my dark brown hair and was pleasantly surprised at how vibrant it came out. It looks different colors in different lights - in sunlight it looks like a bright, true red; in low light, it's a dark merlot; in some fluorescent lighting it looks almost fuchsia (which I'm not super fond of, but whatever). After dyeing it, my hair was in great condition, not dry or brittle like it would be with some permanent dyes.

The reason I gave this product a 3 is because of the overall inconvenience that goes along with using it. First of all, it comes in a little tub and you have to scoop it out to put it on your hair. This can be extremely messy and will stain your sinks and floors if you're not careful. Then, you have to leave it on for a LONG time (I did 2 hours, but I know some people recommend overnight). Bleeding is also a horrible problem with this product. Every time I take a shower it looks like I've murdered someone in there because of all the red dye that comes out. My fingernails are also stained from washing my hair. I've tried using cool water to rinse my hair to prevent bleeding, but A) it didn't work, and B) who wants to take cold showers in October (I suppose you could wash your hair in the sink, but again, inconvenient). Then, as I take my showers at night, I have to blow dry my hair to avoid ruining my pillowcases and sheets from all the bleeding (I've already ruined a towel). Again, this is very inconvenient, especially since I don't get home from class until 9PM most nights.

In conclusion, I would not purchase this product again. Maybe when I was younger and had more time for my hair, I would have enjoyed this, but all the extra steps that go along with using this dye are just not worth the trouble, despite the gorgeous color it gives.

UPDATE: Not changing my rating, but I just wanted to say that this color continued to bleed from my hair into late December (I dyed it in mid-October). Every night the water in my shower would turn pink from this stuff bleeding. Such a pain to deal with.