April 20, 2014 | 1598 users online

Hair Color - Manic Panic - Temporary in Vampire Red

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2014 9:58:00 AM More reviews by MerokoYui

I've been looking for a dark unnatural red dye for a while. When I saw that the reviews for Manic Panic Vampire Red were mostly positive, I decided to try it. My hair is a couple of inches past my shoulders and 1 jar was just enough.( If your hair is very thick and longer than mine, you will definitely need to buy 2.) Prior to applying the vampire red, I decided to bleach my hair with L'oreal Blondissima, since my hair was very dark from previously being dyed dark brown. I only bleached my hair to a light brown shade since I was afraid of damaging my hair. After washing the bleach out I noticed that some parts of my hair were significantly darker than others. However, since I did not have any more bleach left I decided to just go ahead with the vampire red and hoped it would turn out ok. I used a brush to apply the dye and it wasn't as messy as I thought it would be. (I've used way messier box dyes before using this!) I was careful not to stain my bathroom, however the dye that touched my skin ended up staining it a light pink color. When I rinsed and dried my hair I liked the color a lot, even though some parts were very dark. However, that was my fault due to the uneven bleach job I did. The color by my roots came out a brighter red and the rest of my hair was a very deep red.I dyed my hair 5 days ago and I still have stains on my skin. In my opinion the worst part of vampire red is the fact that the water will never run clear when you rinse your hair! My towel is covered with pink stains and every time my hair gets wet it bleeds. I should also mention that the dye has no unpleasant odour at all as it is a vegan product .It also left my hair feeling very soft and conditioned. Overall I like the color and the fact that the product left my hair in excellent condition. I washed my hair once since dyeing it and the color has only faded a little bit so far. I am considering trying a mixture of Vampire Red and Purple Haze next time, but first I will even out the bleach color of my hair as I would like a more even color.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/6/2013 5:00:00 AM More reviews by blackhalo

I didn't have good luck with this. It was the most beautiful color initially, my ideal hair dye color, but after one wash it was only auburn and lasted a week at most. I have medium brown extremely soft and fine hair. In my experience when I use burgundy shades the purple washes out on the first wash and this product was no different, however it was more expensive than a box dye and much less pleasant to apply. One of my biggest beauty disappointments!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2013 9:15:00 PM More reviews by alinacross

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my ultimate favourite hair colour. Given I've bleached and dyed my hair so much, I thought I'd give it a break by staining it with manic while I let the blonde grown out... the result is a phenomenal ombre that has lasted me almost a full year already! I re-dye about once a month, and use colour depositing conditioner by revlon in between retouching.

I switch back and forth between Vampire Red and a Vampire Red-Purple Haze mixture (which is also beautiful, a little richer, and gets me a lot of compliments)!

I have a photo of myself on my profile with Vampire Red in my hair - I like this colour because it's not too hot of a red, instead its deeper and richer.

The only thing I do not love is the packaging... I find it messy and once you open it, it seems to forever leak! This isn't usually a problem for me though as I have a ton of hair and always require the whole bottle.

I highly recommend for anyone planning to go red!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2013 1:39:00 PM More reviews by hellion603

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've used manic panic vampire red for 2 yrs now, and I still love the color especially in the sun, it's beautiful. I have naturally dark brown hair and I wanted to try something new, but didn't wanna bleach or damage my hair to much. When I dyed my hair I left it in over night hoping to achieve the best color. After rinsing and all I thought the color was a purple till I went outside and saw the beautiful deep red shade, I touch up every 4 months when I turn a slightly dark fushia/magenta.
I do love this product and in this color I've bleached my little sisters hair and used this color for her she loves it too.
The only issue I have is the bleeding and staining factor, my tub turns red with every dye I do and I have to break out the comet. I've ruined countless towels (black ones at that) a few t shirts and pillows, but beauty has it's draw backs too.
I do plan on continuing to keep my color and $9.99 at sallys beauty supply isn't so bad but I stock up around Halloween from party city when they are on sale for 5 dollars.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2013 1:06:00 PM More reviews by Megatonisforlovers

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I absolutely love, love, love this hair product. To the color is gives me, to the fact it's animal testing free. I love the red is pink based not orange, that its a darker more magenta red & it never damages my hair, actually it leaves it feeling great. i even used it on my hair extensions, amazingly even on my hair extensions which are of course a different type of hair than my own I got the same color I always get compliments on my color. I wouldn't know if it fades quickly or not for I do wash my hair as little as possible & I color every two weeks. My only complain is the color literally stains everything & anything though it easily comes out with a good hit of Shoot & a wash or two. & when my hair is wet the color it will "leak" everywhere. Other than that I really really wish Manic Panic made permeant hair dye, oh well. Still love this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2012 6:22:00 PM More reviews by KacieLuebke

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I work at hot topic and we carry manic panic and raw hairdye. I usually prefer the raw because its more vibrant and lasts longer but we were sold out of red so I thought I'd give the vampire red a shot. I just died my platinum blonde hair a dark burgundy three days ago and it turned out a dark purple/fuschia color. It was pretty but i have warm skin so it was very unflattering to have such a cool red and I also wanted something more vibrant. So, I bought the vampire red and put it over my burgundy hair yesterday and VOILA. It added such a beautiful hue and was crazy vibrant! I only left it on for 25 minutes and it worked like a charm. My only complaint is after dying I rinsed my hair for a good 30 minutes and couldn't get the water to run clear and my two showers since it's still bleeding, but oh well! The best thing is it doesn't leave your hair damaged at all:) Look under my photos to see the results.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2012 3:10:00 PM More reviews by DamnSatyr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

"Vampire Red" is one of my go-to hair colors. I'm naturally a very dark brown, so even with no lightening it comes out a lovely dark red wine shade, and if I do lighten it pops to a near firetruck red.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/24/2012 2:35:00 PM More reviews by DarkSideChic87

I used this color to dye my hair for part of a Halloween costume. I dyed over my dark brown hair and was pleasantly surprised at how vibrant it came out. It looks different colors in different lights - in sunlight it looks like a bright, true red; in low light, it's a dark merlot; in some fluorescent lighting it looks almost fuchsia (which I'm not super fond of, but whatever). After dyeing it, my hair was in great condition, not dry or brittle like it would be with some permanent dyes.

The reason I gave this product a 3 is because of the overall inconvenience that goes along with using it. First of all, it comes in a little tub and you have to scoop it out to put it on your hair. This can be extremely messy and will stain your sinks and floors if you're not careful. Then, you have to leave it on for a LONG time (I did 2 hours, but I know some people recommend overnight). Bleeding is also a horrible problem with this product. Every time I take a shower it looks like I've murdered someone in there because of all the red dye that comes out. My fingernails are also stained from washing my hair. I've tried using cool water to rinse my hair to prevent bleeding, but A) it didn't work, and B) who wants to take cold showers in October (I suppose you could wash your hair in the sink, but again, inconvenient). Then, as I take my showers at night, I have to blow dry my hair to avoid ruining my pillowcases and sheets from all the bleeding (I've already ruined a towel). Again, this is very inconvenient, especially since I don't get home from class until 9PM most nights.

In conclusion, I would not purchase this product again. Maybe when I was younger and had more time for my hair, I would have enjoyed this, but all the extra steps that go along with using this dye are just not worth the trouble, despite the gorgeous color it gives.

UPDATE: Not changing my rating, but I just wanted to say that this color continued to bleed from my hair into late December (I dyed it in mid-October). Every night the water in my shower would turn pink from this stuff bleeding. Such a pain to deal with.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2012 6:00:00 AM More reviews by Kattami89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like Manic Panic dyes generally, they always add a really vibrant color to your hair and it fades out into a shade that isn't too cringe-worthy.

I think shades like this look nice on dark hair, as well. I don't like to bleach my hair, as my scalp is very sensitive and will burn upon contact of the stuff x_x It gives a gorgeous sheen.

Not keen on the bleeding though.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by Maretia

Vampire Red is hands down my favourite colour I've tried from Manic Panic. The colour is great and it seems to be super pigmented - some of their other colours I've tried, even the dark ones which you would expect to be super pigmented, have not turned out nearly as deep or vibrant as Vampire Red. As with all non-permanent dyes, I try to keep the colour on my hair as long as I can stand before rinsing it out, so usually 2-3 hours, to get the deepest colour I can and hopefully longer lasting result. I know some people sleep with it in, but I wouldn't be able to stand that.

I've used this colour both in the regular and the Amplified formula and had great results with both. With the regular formula I bleached the bottom half of my hair to a light blonde, and did the Vampire Red on top. It turned out a great bright red, like fire engine red.

But my favourite results with this colour have been over darker hair - I use the amplified formula between permanent colourings to give the colour a boost and keep from damaging my hair too much from doing permanent colour too often. The results are always fantastic - ranging from cherry red to burgundy with purple tones, depending on the starting shade/colour of my hair. I always get tons of compliments on my red hair when I do this. Also, if you bleach in some highlights before doing the Vampire Red you get a great multi-tonal look.

I've also used the amplified Vampire Red to cover up hair mistakes - I had dark brown hair and decided to put a dark blue streak in my hair. The blue did not stick at all and I was left with a patchy pale green streak. I was too fed up over the failed dye job to try redoing it, and instead used Vampire Red on my whole head. It turned the dark parts deep burgundy and the failed streak turned a nice deep red (and this was without bleaching out the green first... I just put the red right on top). So I love this colour for the fact that it turned a disaster into something amazing.