September 17, 2014 | 1326 users online

Moisturizers - Paula's Choice - Hydralight Moisture-Infusing Lotion

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 8/6/2014 11:42:00 AM More reviews by jhenley

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This was a miss for me. I didn't like the texture, and as others have pointed out, the smell leaves much to be desired! I ended up going with the Skin Balancing Moisture Gel, which is much better for my skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/25/2014 3:39:00 PM More reviews by SummerDay89

Felt cheap and did nothing for my skin. I really love her products and stance on research, but this product isn't as good as her others.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/25/2014 1:33:00 PM More reviews by geeemm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this product during the Winter months, when my skin was becoming more combination than oily. I needed something that provided more moisture than my gel based moisturiser, and this product sounded like the ideal solution.

As already mentioned at length in other reviews, the first thing you notice is the smell. I wouldn't say it's unpleasant, but it's not particularly nice either. It's worth noting that the samples smell far, far worse than the full size tube, and that the smell doesn't tend to linger on the skin in my experience.

The moisturiser is very much a standard lotion base; it sinks in fairly quickly and doesn't leave the skin feeling greasy. I wouldn't say it was much more moisturising than the Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Gel, so it was a shame that I didn't find it helped as much as I'd like with dry areas. There's not a lot else to say for this product - like all of the Hydralight products I've tried it struck me as very average. I didn't find it did anything for my skin really; as great as I'm sure all the antioxidants are, I couldn't help feel this product was unnecessary. I know I said similar about the Skin Balancing Gel, but I realised I perhaps hadn't given that product the credit it was due. As for the Hydralight Lotion, I've since been using it up as a hand cream, which seems to work ok. I'll either go back to the Gel or the Resist Clear Skin Hydrator, both of which run rings around this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2014 6:01:00 PM More reviews by Eire1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I HAD THE SAMPLE
This may be too heavy for oily or combination skin. It would be a good choice for those who have normal skin types. This is moisturizing but nothing to write home about. The ingredients are blah and the most beneficial ingredients start on the third and fourth lines.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2014 9:24:00 AM More reviews by emily0212

The other reviews were not lying, the smell of the sample packets of this stuff is absolutely revolting. I don't mind natural scents (I'm quite sensitive to artificial fragrances) but this is absolutely awful. It makes me think of rotten produce. I had to wash it off immediately. Which is a shame because it seems that it would have been the perfect amount of moisture for me for the spring/summer. I am going to have to stick with Moisture Boost and just use less of it or thin it out with water or something.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2014 6:53:00 PM More reviews by babyjane14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

You would think that moisturiser is an easy product to like but for me it has been a struggle all of my skin care and make up using years for me to be as impressed with one until I started using this. I have combination/oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin with hyper pigmentation, clogged pores and redness, (a lot of issues in other words) and surprisingly something as simple as a moisturiser has made a noticeable improvement in my skin.

I apply this day and night after cleansing and exfoliating but what impressed me is that every time I apply this before bed, I wake up in the morning to see a calm no redness face looking back at me. Amazing! No break outs and this also doesn't irritate my skin which is great. It has a lotion texture that is heavy enough to hydrate combination skin without being too rich for me when I am more oily. I have dry patches at times on healing blemishes and this works well at reducing the look of them. It spreads easily so not much is needed to cover my entire face.

I first used a sample of this and even though I loved the product the scent is definitely something to get used to. It has a cucumber/vinegar type scent that I don't enjoy but its nothing off putting. Though, the sample was much stronger than the actual full size product which it is honestly barely noticeable. The scent dissipates within a minute or two.

I did try a sample of Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Gel, which I found not hydrating enough, it didn't calm the redness in my skin unlike this and I did break out more than usual while using it.

Overall, I am glad I found a moisturiser that works for my picky skin loaded with good beneficial ingredients and that makes a noticeable difference. I would highly recommend this.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2013 10:45:00 PM More reviews by princessplumjade

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

FYI: I am a 43-year-old Latina with very fair, olive skin (slighty oily/combination, moderately sensitive, mature -- slight redness and facial lines). I'm a non-smoker and teetotaler and have used sunscreen pretty regularly most of my adult life, so my skin is pretty "well-preserved" for my age.

USAGE: I have been using PC RESIST Anti-Aging Clear Skin Hydrator, but I've switched to the slightly more emollient Hydralight for winter use. I purchased this product at paulaschoice.com and have been applying it nightly (following cleanser, BHA liquid, antioxidant serum and retinol product) for approximately 1 week. I stroke lightly all over my face, patting it around my eye area and lips.

REVIEW: My overall impressions are very favorable. This is a light, fluid lotion with good "slip." It comforts my sensitive skin, calms redness, and absorbs quickly without any tacky, greasy residue or heavy afterfeel. It's very comforting, lightweight, non-drying, and makes a nice "final touch" product to my evening skin care routine.

PC promotes the Hydralight line as suitable for Combination/Oily and sensitive skin types. I've had mixed results with this product line, but I definitely like this moisturizer for evening use and the Shine-Free SPF 30 Daily Mineral Complex for daytime wear. My skin is only slightly oily (and even less oily in winter) and I think this might be too rich for super oily skin types.

This moisturizer is fragrance free. It does have a faint, cucumber fragrance, crisp and clean, not rancid or rotten. I'm pretty sensitive to odors and I didn't find this unbearable. The fragrance dissipates quickly following product's absorption.

In the morning, I've noticed my red patches appear noticeably lighter than they did prior to using this product. It definitely gives me a better "canvas" to work with.

Although it might be a little too fluid for tube packaging, I had no problems controlling the amount squeezed out.

I removed one star from my overall rating because I'm frustrated with recent price hikes of PC products. I'm buying less PC and waiting for sales whenever possible. Also and seeking alternatives when possible.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2013 7:28:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

This is definitely my least favourite Paula's Choice product, and I've tried many. I really love her Moisture Boost lotion, Skin Recovery line, her BHA's , serums and more but this was just a no-go for me. I may not agree with everything she says but she does make some excellent products. Just not this one. . .

First problem - it stinks. It smells strongly of something sour, like vinegar, rotting cucumbers, fried onions and garlic. Not good. It's really pungent too. It does dissipate somewhat quickly but it's still very unpleasant. None of the other PC products I use smell, so I thought it was odd this one did.

I literally can't even use this before work because even though the scent seems to fade rather quickly from the face it clings to drier areas like my hands. I know other reviewers have mentioned this. I noticed as I was typing at work, the putrid stench started to waft up from my hands. I could feel a headache coming on. I'm sure my co-workers loved me that day. I tried to use it at night only, but then my husband would complain about the smell.

I called PC's and asked if this was normal, maybe this was a bad batch. They said it was the "natural scent of the ingredients". I'm used to unscented products but sorry, this is too much. It really doesn't feel good at all to be applying lotion that smells so bad. PC sent me another tube in the mail. The day I opened it - same thing. The stench filled my bathroom and I knew I was done with this. The results were not worth it. It left my combo skin dry and was too matte for my liking. It also felt sticky and tacky. I can't speak of any long-term benefits because I never made it past 2ish weeks. I think this formula could use a few improvements.

I don't know if every batch smells this awful, and have heard mostly conflicting opinions (smells worse as you use up product, others say smells less bad as time goes on). Maybe I'm too sensitive to the smell - and like I mentioned above - my skin loves so many of her products. I know a lot of people really like this lotion and it's also possible this just wasn't right for my skin. I feel bad this one didn't work out. Luckily their customer service is amazing and they sent me a tube of Moisture Boost, so all is well.

I would definitely NOT repurchase this unless maybe they reformulated. It's a BIG maybe though.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2013 6:02:00 PM More reviews by Romyw

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I found it!!!!
Finally!!!!!!! After searching high and low, I have found a lightweight oil free moisturizer that doesn't make break me out!
I have struggled for around 5 years now with crazy peri menopausal skin issues. It has been an ordeal for me, and the only positive thing that I can say has come out of it would be that I basically have an honorary PHD in skincare.... And!! good skin too:)
I follow Paula's advice religiously ---and also that of my acne guru (dan kern of acne.org)
I have read and read and read about skin care products and ingredients..... and after some consideration and prayer:) I decided to try one of her her moisturizers. I actually was on the fence about which one to try so I called her 800 number and asked for advice and was advised to try this for sensitive oily combo skin...(now keep in mind that I feel I'm pretty dry on my chin area, but I also can break out at the drop of a hat) With that info, the awesome customer service rep told me to try this one, but sent me samples of the other two I was on the fence about...free!!
I have used this now for over a month and have had no breakouts whatsoever from it. What I have seen is dramatically improved skin ...its amazing stuff, very light and calms redness.
If you are acne prone and struggling to find a lightweight moisturizer, I urge you to give this one a shot.
Paula's choice has excellent customer service, so if you are not happy, they will take it back.
***Most important note!!
If you read the reviews, there are several complaints about the smell.
I will attest to the fact that indeed there is a smell of cucumber to this. My samples smelled really bad actually, but the results were so astounding and immediate that I decided it was worth it...
Im so glad I did because my regular size product really doesn't smell as pungent....
I have had two regular sized bottles now(I've applied it quite heavily at night and to my neck and chest, it should last some people longer per bottle:) and they both just smell cucumbery and fresh..

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2013 4:18:00 PM More reviews by katwalker

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really wish I had tried a sample of this before I bought an entire bottle because, wow, this stuff is totally not for skin that is the least bit dry. It's not even for skin that's normal. I would say it's for oily skin that need hydration. I tried it because I have normal to dry skin and need something light at night, but I also have to wear Elidel cream on my face for seb derm and eczema. This dries to a matte finish, so oily-skinned folks will love that. It's just too drying for me; my skin actually felt drier with this on than if I'd not used a moisturizer.