Desert Essence Italian Red Grape

3.5

Not tested on animals

Aqueous Infusion of Certified Organic Extracts: Vitis Vinifera (Grape)¹, Urtica Dioica (Nettle)¹ and Macrocystis (Kelp) Pyrifera¹, Cocoamidopropyl Betaine**, Sodium Coca-Sulfate**, Decyl Gulcoside*, Polyguaternium-7**, Resveratrol, Red Wine Extract, Panthenol, Certified Organic Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil², Proprietary Blend of Natural Essential Oils, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Glutamate, Potassium Sorbate ¹ Certified by QCS ² Certified by QAI *Vegetable Derived **Coconut Derived

on 5/26/2015 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used this last fall nearly every weekday for a couple of months together with the Italian Red Grape conditioner and since then have used both off and on just to use them up. They were fine (though not spectacular) at first and when used inconsistently, but used long term they made my hair stringy and flat and something about my hair color seemed less appealing. It seemed as if the conditioner either left some buildup or the shampoo did not cleanse properly (or both). It was not a problem of being overly moisturizing. Used alone or with another conditioner, I still felt the shampoo did not clean properly unless perhaps I used a large amount.

Note I do NOT have color treated hair as the bottle states it is meant for - "Protection for color treated hair". I have long, fine, straight blond hair and lots of it. My scalp can get a little oily in summer. When I started using this my hair was probably a little dry as I had earlier in the year done some damage to it by trying to go "no-poo". I used this in both arid and semi-humid environments. Purchased from my local co-op.

This shampoo was not that great. First of all, the smell was not pleasant to me. Sort of like sweet wine, fermented grape like. Not my thing. Also it felt kind of harsh yet it didn't clean my scalp all that well? For reference I have straight, fine hair that tends to get dry because I get highlights. It also tangles easily. I had such high hopes for this shampoo but had to return it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I am familiar with the Desert Essence brand. I have tried some of their skincare products in the past, & also tried the Desert Essence Lemon Tea Tree shampoo, which I find quite similar to the Italian Red Grape in terms of the effects it has on your hair. A couple years ago I also remember trying the Raspberry shampoo by Desert Essence and liking that one as well.
First of all, the smell of the Italian Red Grape is delicious. Like other reviewers have said, it's scent is like a combination between grape bubble gum and wine. Yummmmmy! Whenever I use this shampoo the scent revives memories of when I was a child having a bubble bath. The bubble bath soap my mother used smells almost identical to this shampoo. Lovely :)

In terms of the effectiveness of the product - I wash my hair every day (really oily hair), & I find that it does a great job of cleaning your hair, very much like the Lemon Tea Tree shampoo. However, I find that the Lemon Tea Tree formula cleans a little bit better, probably because of the oil-removing properties of the tea tree oil and the lemon peel extract. The Italian Red Grape shampoo ranks a little bit higher than the Lemon Tea Tree shampoo in term of effects to the shine and softness of your hair. All I really ask of a shampoo is to clean my scalp and hair & leave it soft and shiny with no residue - and this does the job.

In terms of price, I get this at my local healthfood store and it is around $9.00 which isn't that bad compared to a lot of shampoo brands out there IMO. However, I still think that for the price they could maybe make it so that we get a little more product. For packaging - it is a tube with a cap on the bottom that you can open to squeeze product out. So fairly hygienic. The design on the tube is pretty and simple. =3

Overall, the Desert Essence shampoos that I have tried all perform very similiarly and are fantastic natural shampoos. This is my favourite line of hair products and I would recommend you give them a try :)

on 1/23/2014 2:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have purchased this about two or three times. I've tried a lot of natural shampoos & conditioners, and this brand is by far the best I have come across! I have tried all of their shampoo & conditioner combos (minus the scent free), and this totally beats them, in my opinion!

The scent smells like grape bubble gum to me. Like, opening a new bag of Big League Chew. Soooo amazing! It does have a candy twinge to it. It's not sickly sweet, bath & body works type of scent by any means. May not be everyone's cup of tea, but I love it! If you have a Whole Foods, try smelling it first.Hands down the best smelling bath product I have ever owned. This does not linger long at all, which is so sad. If they had a hair refresher in this scent, my olfactory bulb might explode out of sheer ecstasy.

I switched off of this to use a new Giovanni shampoo, and my hair turned out so awful. I had to give myself a haircut because that shampoo horribly damaged my hair. My hair stays shiny and super soft with this and the conditioner. I get the best air dries when I constantly use this as well. I will never be without this stuff again.

That being said, there's some downsides. The availability of this product in person, and I hate the retail price. Nearly $9 is cray-cray for shampoo, especially for only 8oz of product! I can get it online way cheaper, but that's not always convenient.

on 8/2/2013 5:20:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I rotate my shampoo/conditioner every few days and I don't always buy the same one but I really do think I will have to repurchase this pair.

I have very long curly layered hair--down to the small of my back. My hair is straightened approximately once a week.

This is the first natural shampoo and conditioner I have known to actually work SUPER well. I have tried many natural/organic shampoos but always found myself going back to unnatural products--which made me very unhappy and feeling guilty for putting chemicals on my body to be absorbed into my pores and especially my scalp on a daily basis. TOPICAL PRODUCTS DO AFFECT YOUR INTERNAL HEALTH. I also love anything animal friendly!

Desert Essence Italian Red Grape shampoo and conditioner is up to par with my former favorite--Pureology. (<---Super pricey and not as natural. Pureology products contain parabens) I have been looking for products that are sulfate and paraben free. This is the sole reason I purchased this product.

Well, guess what?! My hair feels SO CLEAN and my curls are bouncy and super shiny after using this grape shampoo stuff! Even after straightening my hair is so sleek. The conditioner is superb and hydrating and does not leave any residue behind!

I don't even feel the need to wash every day like most other products make me feel. This product is so gentle and doesn't leave gunk on my scalp! I can literally go 2-4 days without an oily scalp using this shampoo. UNHEARD OF!

As far as the scent is concerned--I don't love nor hate it. It's just a scent. It doesn't linger in my hair unless I don't notice it like other reviewers have said. But honestly I'm not very picky with my scents.

TRY THIS SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER SPIRITUALISTS, ANIMAL LOVERS, AND HEALTH FREAKS. it's $9 each per shampoo and conditioner. Such a huge improvement from the $30 a bottle per pureology product. I won't go back. Trust me.

on 3/31/2013 6:51:00 AM

This smells so good, just like grape bubblegum! It foams nicely and makes my hair smell lovely and fresh. The red grape version is for coloured hair and I have noticed my hair colour has faded less since using this.

on 4/27/2012 12:47:00 PM

Really nice. Grape smell. Hair Type- Oily roots, normal ends, med-long, fine yet thick

on 12/14/2011 12:24:00 AM

The most delicious shampoo I have ever used. Like showering in wine. I tried it at a friend's house and went out and bought it for everyone I know. Intoxicating. My hair was soft/manageable and smelled amazing

on 12/13/2011 11:22:00 PM

In full disclosure, shampoo is shampoo is shampoo to me. I'm much more of a conditioner girl--in my life, shampoo is just to curtail oil and grime and the conditioner does the REAL work in making me look good.
Soooo...I got this as a gift because someone like me doesn't pay $9 for shampoo and when I read the label, my first thoughts were "Antioxidants for my hair? Are we really doing that now? Didn't I learn in like, eighth grade that hair is comprised of dead skin cells?" Yes, yes, I did. You probably did, too. And if there was any question as to the necessity of antioxidants for your hair, look up the statistics on "adult-onset hair cancer" and "pediatric tress tumors." Riiight. Man, even dogfood can't quite match this sort of marketing pizzazz and your pup's actually ingesting that.
Among the other claims from Desert Essence is that this shampoo contains UV filters as well as a healthy dose of extra vitamins and minerals. Which is all very well if you go for that sort of thing, but like I said, you asked me and we're talking about shampoo. Did I notice my hair feeling noticeably softer, healthier, magazine-worthy after using this? Nope. But it didn't make me angry because it didn't make my hair like straw and it didn't disappoint me because I'm not out nine bucks.
In my view, the $9 pricetag all comes down to a few factors:
1. ECO-FRIENDLINESS: label says it's biodegradable; doesn't have parabens or laureth sulfate/sls; petroleum; silicone; not tested on animals; and made in the USA (with wind power, natch). However, label also says "Organic" and they're not certified as such by the USDA (hence why they don't have the requisite seal), so that kind of makes the label suspicious.
2. SMELL: It's strong, it's sweet and fruity and some people like it, but it's also synthetic: grape is sort of tricky because there's no way it can't have a hint of Jolly Rancher. And this stuff smells precisely like Dimetapp. Luckily, it seems to fade from my hair when I wash with it.
...or maybe it's my expensive conditioner that covers it up.

on 10/27/2011 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Great for thick, colored hair. I think I am the only positive review for this product because of my hair type. I was blessed with very thick strong hair ( but cursed with lousy skin) This shampoo and conditioner made my mostly gray, coarse, colored hair soft and manageable. It was much better than aubry organics which is too thin and drying for my hair type. The smell is very nice and not overpowering. I love it.