December 21, 2014 | 1840 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2014 9:45:00 PM More reviews by luhhsetty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Background- I have VERY oily skin. I get oily about 1 hour after applying my foundation. I have olive, brown skin with a yellow undertone.

I have found my PRFECT match: #53 (references Mac NC 40-42)

This foundation is medium coverage and is very build-able. It makes your skin feel super soft after setting with powder and doesn't feel sticky.

I have to repowder about every 3 hours and I'm ok with that.

Cons-

I think this foundation may be breaking me out. I'm applying now with my Beauty Blender for less coverage and it's helping some. If I continue to break out, I may need to invest in a more protective face primer.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/12/2014 9:18:00 AM More reviews by luusk1125

This founadation is horrible for combination dry acne prone skin. It looks and feels heavy and super flat matte no demension. It did not control oil it clings to dry patches makes pores look more noticable. It causes bad cystic breakout and bumps.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2014 4:02:00 PM More reviews by catarinaarantes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

No words...velvet skin...stays all day...and nigth.
Applies very well and doesn't look plastic or artificial.
When i use it, sometimes i don't even put a concealer

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2014 10:54:00 PM More reviews by Sandylynwalker

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I purchased this foundation in #15, the lightest shade, because this was literally the ONLY foundation in all of Sephora that I color matched to with their nifty little machine. As far as the color, I was so excited to have my face and neck match, and the coverage is great. It's not difficult to work with initially, though I did feel applying it with my fingers rather than my imitation-version of the Beauty Blender sponge. The finish is definitely matte, the coverage is a solid medium with no effort, but buildable from there. There's no smell or anything like that, and the packaging is simple and lovely.

Here's my issue: While I rejoiced at the pale shade, as a person with very dry skin and especially dry in winter, this product is not a good fit. The lady at Sephora did suggest I wear it over a thick moisturizer, so I tried Aquaphor and a shea butter lotion, but had no luck. It was actually uncomfortable to wear, and my face felt noticeably dry throughout the day. It also began to look terrible as the day went on, and it clung to the dry spots (while it dried out my face, making more dry spots....) and left me with a patchy, dull looking mess. It's so matte and I'm so pale that I struggled to look alive.

Because the coverage is so good, and the formula is so easy to work with I'd probably recommend this only to people who have never had any dry skin issues at all. If you have dry skin- avoid this one!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2014 4:18:00 PM More reviews by NaeNae1227

So, after searching and stressing about finding a good foundation that would actually last more than an hour of my workday, I decided to splurge and opened my mind to the idea of a high end foundation. I always research products before I buy them, and after reading countless reviews on the matte velvet MUFE, I thought OK ill give it a shot.
A lil bit about my skin, for starters; I am extremely acne prone, sensitive, scar prone, and combination of oily t zone, and even cheek area is oily, and dry skin in random spots as Well. so finding a foundation that can hide blemishes but not accentuate dry areas and flakes, is so hard. I need a matte foundation plus hydrating one at same time. I also suffer from some cystic acne on jawline too, so my skin can be a bit fussy and irritable. 9/10 times if I get a zit, chances are It'll leave a Lovey scar.
So, I went to my nearest sephora and it was my first time ever being in a sephora, so naturally I was intimidated and nervous. I looked around at their selection and was lost, I had no idea what shade I was and stood there 20 mins before I got aknowlodged, surprise surprise. The girl that finally stopped screwing around came over to help me, and honestly was a prude. She didn't want to help me hardly at all, except I will say she helped me pick a shade, I'm a #35 in this foundation. Then she just went back to screwing around, finally another girl helped me, and made me feel better about purchasing such an expensive foundation. I got a sample and went home and applied this product
Here are my findings:

-it's a medium coverage but very very buildable
- definitely need a primer and moisturizer (I use cetephil cream lotion and smashbox color correcting primer)
- need to work and blend fast as it does dry quickly
-tube doesn't bother me that much, it's a squeezy tube
-#35 shade matched perfectly, I have yellow undertones but am very red due to acne
-it is mattifying as it claims, I don't have to blot as much as usual but by hour 3 I'm wanting to blot, I am very oily tho
-it is a very smooth consistency and feels very lightweight while providing great coverage
-it can cake if you apply too much powder over it, I like to apply MUFE HD pressed powder over top, it's so amazing.
-it hasn't helped nor caused more acne that I can tell, I will know in more time I suppose.
-no scent that I can detect
-on the expensive side, for me at least 36$ at sephora
-covers blemishes and scars pretty Well
-doesn't last all day but does hold up better than most, still experimenting on ways to make it last longer such as setting powders, sprays, primers, application.

Overall, I really really like it so far. ✌✌✌

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2014 12:26:00 AM More reviews by ham409

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Beautiful foundation. I received a very generous sample of this and so was able to test this out for a couple of days. I was matched to color 53. It goes on very easier and smooth than my Holy Grail Hourglass Immaculate foundation. HOWEVER, this foundation does go oily on me. I have very oily skin, and only the Hourglass Immaculate foundation can stop the oil and remain perfect on my skin all day. When I put on the Makeupforever Mat Velvet foundaton, my initial reaction is wow, so smooth - it looks better than my Hourglass. It really makes my skin look matte and velvet, exactly like the name. The only problem is: my skin still gets only from it in the afternoon. I am so glad that I didn't immediately purchase this foundation on the stop and was smart enough to get a sample because even though it's beautiful, I still go back to my trusty Hourglass Immaculate. I think Mat Velvet is a great foundation and could work for some oily skin girls. The texture and how smooth it goes onto the skin is wonderful.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/15/2014 8:11:00 PM More reviews by beautylover105

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Did not like this product! it broke me out :(

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2014 5:07:00 PM More reviews by Kimmacious

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really do love this stuff. It's clear it's high quality stuff. It's very pigmented and definitely full-coverage; if you're looking for a light foundation this is NOT the one for you. Because it is so very pigmented, it doesn't take much to get the job done which means the bottle should last a decent amount of time (though not long enough to justify the price if you're using it daily, in my opinion). I recommend stippling it on because that's what has worked best for me and I tend to use less of it with this method.

As long as you use a good setting powder this won't oxidize and turn orange on the skin, and it won't reflect light in photos. It's best for oily skin, though I think as long as someone with dry skin uses a good moisturizer, this stuff would be fine for them as well.

Cons:

It is OIL-BASED and that makes it difficult to remove. I use a wash cloth and a little bit of organic extra virgin olive oil to make sure I get rid of all of it. Face-wash on your fingers probably won't do the trick and this will clog your pores and cause breakouts if you leave it on too long.

Make Up For Ever is EXPENSIVE and the only reason I buy this foundation is because I wear a full face of make up so very rarely these days (mostly just for special occasions and photo shoots). Due to the price I would NOT recommend this as a daily foundation unless you have the expendable income.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2014 12:20:00 AM More reviews by carachristine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my HG foundation, absolutely no doubt about it. If I'm having a bad skin day, a good skin day or in between I'm always happy with the way this looks after I'm done applying my makeup. It always covers up my blemishes, and makes my skin look good without looking cakey. It does keep me relatively mat, but I do use the Becca mattifying primer with it to help keep it in place since I'm so oily. The best part about this foundation is that it doesn't break my out! Thank goodness for this stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2014 6:15:00 AM More reviews by Sarita88