October 24, 2014 | 1039 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 205 Mascara Fan Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2012 10:00:00 PM More reviews by pablowiley

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Great for separating lashes and removing mascara clumps and goops. In fact, better than any lash combs (plastic or metal) or spoolies for this purpose. As others have pointed out, it's not a "necessary" brush, but I love mascara and consider lashes central to my makeup looks, so I love this brush and use it often. It's great for applying mascara to bottom lashes and if I have lots of time, I do like to use this brush to apply mascara to get a gorgeous, feathery, full, natural lash look on top. But that's not quick. It's also useful for using up product from mascaras with brushes I don't like (of which there have been many).

I would say this brush is a must for any lash/mascara lover. It's also easy to clean.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2011 6:34:00 PM More reviews by lehzheng

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

great little tool if you have extra moolah for buying make up, get this! I got it for $11 at an outlet. Good for separating lashes, makes it really easy to clean up too!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2010 8:25:00 PM More reviews by jejkim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

This brush works for some but not for others. Was super excited to find it at the Robertson Pro store. But, after a couple of uses, it didn't do much for me in terms of making my mascara apply or look any different.

I can see how this brush can work well for a lot of people: it really depends on your own lashes. I have just enough lashes to be in the "blessed" category and the length is good, but using this brush didn't help them look any better. As for lower lashes, it does an above average job of applying mascara, separating and declumping. If you have a good, go-to mascara formula, you probably don't need this brush. The only reason I would need this brush is for extreme costume makeup, which is pretty limited to just Halloween.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2009 9:34:00 PM More reviews by glossyxlipz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

After the reviews here, I went to a cosmetic outlet store and found one.I really wanted something to separate my lashes and this seemed like something that would do the trick.

I used it at home with my extra clumpy L'Oreal Voluminous Mascara and it worked great. I was able to make it reach all the way to the tips of my lashes leaving it separated. Thanks everyone for the great reviews and letting me know about this brush.

I took a lippie off because I have a mascara that can do all of this by Bourjois. But what is great is that now I can use any mascara and get clump free and separated lashes. I wish it would lengthen though.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2009 11:21:00 PM More reviews by ChaiSahara

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I picked this up at the NYC Pro store. Sometimes my lashes clump up after I put mascara on, and this is the perfect tool for separating lashes and unclumping! It has the perfect amount of stiffness to get the job done without creating a huge mess everywhere else. I've also used it to fix my lashes after crying, haha, as silly as that sounds! Nifty little tool, nice to have in my kit. I don't use it daily but I sure love to have it around when I do need it!

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2009 8:56:00 AM More reviews by misskho

This brush is fab, it gives a lot of control and unlike lash combs the other lashes are not disturbed and faced in the wrong direction when combing.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2009 10:14:00 PM More reviews by Tjlove23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Just bought this brush at the CCO yesterday for $12.50! It was just too cute. Plus I read a review on Temptalia and got excited. I will update this review, once I try my brush out.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2009 9:53:00 PM More reviews by snickersforsnuggles

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't know how I survived without this brush. After searching for a cheaper dupe, scouring art stores, returning again and again to MAC to fondle its bristles... I finally gave in. And hoo boy am I glad I did!

I hear this brush is now a "pro only" brush, so unless you have a pro card, you'll have to visit a pro store or order over the phone to get it. But if you have light lashes like I do, get it you must! I can't imagine going a day without this. I use it to coat the tops of my lashes with mascara. Sounds like such a little thing, but it makes a huge difference on me. No matter my contortions, I could never get the mascara brush to coat the tops. I just got mascara all over my lids. So I had dark lashes when my eyes were open and light ones when they were closed. I was leading a double life. It had to be stopped. Enter 205!

This brush is synthetic and stiff, but not inflexible. When I use regular mascara, I clean it with water and a little bar soap. When I use waterproof mascara, I use a little oil then foaming cleanser. I've had this brush about 9 months and it's going strong. It was almost as lash-revolutionary as tightlining for me, and tightlining changed my lash-life!

8 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2009 12:16:00 AM More reviews by venused

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

Amazing brush! I have long blonde lashes and I find it impossible to get to the root on the top side of them with traditional mascara wands without getting mascara everywhere. So I usually end up with black tipped lashes and blonde roots, which can look kind of wonky. This brush is a quick solve for that problem.

It works with any mascara formula and is great for use as a mascara comb, too. It's not the best separator since the bristles are quite flexible, but it removes clumps well. Since that wasn't my main reason for purchasing the brush, I am very happy with it and can't believe I've gone so long without it.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2009 8:04:00 PM More reviews by sanderlees

I <3 this brush! I bought this on a whim, just cuz i wanted to buy A brush/ANY brush when i was at the the store... I picked this up because honestly, i was surprised to see it there (it's no longer on the mac website) cuz i thought it was discontinued. I tried it out as soon as i got home and i loved the results. I NEVER use mascara on my lower lashes because they are practically non-existant, and using a regular mascara wand (of any size) is just a disaster... very messy and results in very clumpy bottom lashes.
With the 205, i can effortlessly use mascara on my lower lashes, giving them some 'oomph' without overdoing it... they are still puny and sparce.. but at least they are more noticeable than before =)

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No