October 2, 2014 | 1851 users online

Lip Gloss - Physicians Formula - Plump Potion - Spice Potion

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2014 4:22:00 PM More reviews by DLYNN

I purchased Physicians Formula Plump Potion in "sunkissed" over a year ago in what now would appear to be a discontinued shade. I picked up Physicians Formula Plump Potion for its summery, peachy-gold color, without much thought for the purported lip plumping properties. At first use, it went on way too thick and even though I like gold shimmer it looked really frosty. I put it away and basically forgot about it until now. With the usual drugstore lip gloss, the consistency is too thin and the pigments too sheer to resemble in one pass what one sees in the tube. Consequently, if you use the same application technique to apply Physicians Formula Plump Potion, this will likely gross you out. On the other hand, if you apply sparingly with the brush applicator, it can layer over lipstick or wear alone very nicely. Yes, it's tacky (in a sticky way!) but that's the price one pays for something that actually stays put, in my experience. As for plumping properties, the formula tingles for a short while but doesn't numb my lips the way a CoverGirl product of the lip-plumping type once did. And the best part? There is indeed just enough of a "plump" to modestly reduce the look of lip lines. Ladies, this is a drugstore product that actually works, providing you don't expect the look of cosmetic surgery (which even on celebs looks terribly fake, IMHO). The color choices in Physicians Formula Plump Potion would appear more limited now than they were originally, but I was surprised recently to find it is still available at least in a clear version and a rosy pink shade.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2009 3:25:00 PM More reviews by HeatherlyBreezes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This color was 75% off at CVS. I would repurchase for $3 but not $10, and I would try a different color - maybe the Crystal Pink. This is a nice coppery nude, though - pretty well pigmented, but not in your face. Frostier finish than I would prefer.

Generous sized product, and I like the brush applicator as opposed to the usual sponge-type wand. Slight tingle, but not out and out burning like some plumpers.

Can't say as I noticed any real plumping or smoothing affect - I'm mid-40s and an ex-smoker so it'd pretty much take a miracle product to do that.

Sticky consistency, but this made it last a bit longer than many glosses.

All in all not a bad product - watch for clearance or BOGO and you'll be getting a pretty good gloss for your money.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2008 10:34:00 AM More reviews by sakecat22

This particular color is much frostier than I anticipated with more pigment. A very frosty brownish pink. If it were bluer, it would be 80s. I have to be in the mood to wear this one. Still impressed with the longevity and moisturizing ability of this formula. Still think that black pepper smell when you first put this stuff on is a bit strange (but, to me, not offensive).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2008 6:03:00 PM More reviews by WendyW

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love the staying power and the color. Always get compliments. Lasts through lunch which is pretty unbelievable with a lip gloss. Yes there is a mild burning tinkling sensation, but not bad at all.

I'm only taking a lippie off since sometimes the brush bristles stick out at times.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/23/2008 11:08:00 PM More reviews by lovemylippie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is going back to Shoppers Drugmart tomorrow. OMG if you have asthma stay away from this toxic potion. First of all it's too expensive for a drugstore brand, $14.99 CDN. The packaging is too big and bulky, looks like a large glass syringe. When I opened the tube the smell nearly knocked me on my ass, it's putrid. I applied it with the brush applicator and it does apply quite thick with great staying power. However, the burning and stinging on my lips is a price I'm not willing to pay for luscious lips ! I can get the same results from any other gloss on the market. The most disturbing part of this experience is that it burns my lungs and causes my asthma to worsen. After wiping it off over 4 hours ago my lungs still hurt and my breathing is still laboured. This is a hazardous product IMHO. I really don't recommend. I will also be calling the company to tell them about my reaction.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/29/2008 1:24:00 AM More reviews by tw

I have this is Spice and Berry. Both are very slightly pigmented and probably work on any skin tone. I'm very fair and cool-toned and I have a horrible time finding nude/bronze lip color that doesn't look orange. I don't find them to be particularly metallic-looking, either. I hate metallic-look or very shimmery glosses. These glosses darken my lips substantially and plump slightly. Spice gives them a sexy, super-shiny, barely-bronzy tone that's beautiful for summer with sheer foundation, bronzer, and a touch of blue or green on the eyes. I'm usually pretty sensitive to scent/taste in glosses but I haven't noticed anything offensive here as other reviewers have. Like anything with Maxi-Lip, you won't notice major plumping right away. The effect is cumulative and takes several weeks of fairly consistent use to see significant results.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2007 7:09:00 PM More reviews by lucky7597

Wow I am really impressed with this product. First of all this is probably THE longest lasting gloss I have ever used and I have used about a thousand!!!! I am a lip gloss/stick junkie!!!!! I LOVE this. The color is a peachy, pinky, metallic gloss with a very slight almost rosy scent. To me it is very nice not overpowering at all and I am extremely sensitive to smells. If they don't smell good I get rid of them or return them even. The gloss is very thick which makes it stay on but it has a brush not a doefoot applicator so you can put it on easier I think. This really surprised me because I was looking for some eye shadows and came across this stuff. The eye shadows are FABULOUS as well! It came with a freebee clear gloss as well (same formula but in clear). The color is very natural and gorgeous. I will definitely repurchase this in other colors. Wow for only $8.00 what a bargain!!!!!!!:)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2007 4:34:00 PM More reviews by theluscioushellcat

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is THE MOST shine you can get other than Chanel Glossimer or Dior Addict UltraGloss. To find this in a drugstore brand, and not even a premium drugstore brand at that, is pretty amazing.

I wish this color were a wee bit more bronze, because on me it's just a touch orangey. But I wear it over any brown lipstick I have.

It has a little sensation to it - not a sting, more of a tingle.

The scent doesn't bother me.

It has good staying power and, as I said, amazing amazing shine.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2007 3:35:00 PM More reviews by fetishdolly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

These are really pretty colors, but OMG at the scent! It smells like a musty old rank basement! The scent is a HUGE problem considering this is placed very close to the nose. It made me gag, and I hope they DC this new product, avoid!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2007 8:04:00 PM More reviews by ahryb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was dying to try this new product out since I saw them in a magazine a while back, but I couldn't find them until today. I found them at my local Meijer, in the regular Physician Formula section for around $8. I thought they would have been "on display" but they weren't. There were several colors-- I think Clear, Nude, Pink, Spice, Rose, and Berry. I bought the Nude, Spice and Rose and I may go back to try the Berry. The Spice Color is nice and neutral, not as red/copper as I'd wanted, but more of a nudish brown/pink. The gloss is definitely shiny with an almost metallic sheen and that's what helps make the lips appear somewhat fuller. The amount of actual lip plumping is very minimal, if at all, but there is some tingle and a definite scent. The packaging is too bulky--typical of PF products--but at least it is a brush applicator instead of a sponge applicator. There are quite *a lot* of promises made on the box--most of which I will chalk up to marketing! This is a decent gloss if you aren't expecting too much out of a gloss.