April 20, 2014 | 1670 users online

Lipstick - MAC - MAC Couture Lipstick in Red No 5

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2008 1:40:00 AM More reviews by missvox2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

MAC, this is not a red? but a deep pink with a golden sheen. Pretty alternative for anyone who can't wear most reds. I like the texture, its a light and smooth, very pigmented--reminds me of Givenchy lipsticks, and the case also is very similar to Givenchy's? guess that's why they call it couture lipstick, lol!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2007 11:39:00 AM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

BEE-YOO-TEE-FUL!!

"Red No.5," from MAC's Couture Collection(December 2006) is absolutely marvelous!

True to its description on the MAC site, this lipstick is a rich red raspberry with soft pinky red pearl. Besides being an absolutely ridiculously gorgeous color, this lipstick feels light and moist on lips. It's sort of like a MAC Lustre lipstick, only with more coverage. Staying power is not the greatest, but it does leave a lovely pinky-red stain on the lips.

I have pale pink-ivory skin, dark brown hair, dark green eyes, and full lips, and "Red No.5" seems to just magically light up my whole face!

It's too pink to be considered a true red; I would describe it as a "ruby red." In fact, the appearance on me is rather jewel-like, and I love it!

I'm not wild about the angular, finger-print revealing packaging, but it does have a rather chic, cosmopolitan look about it.

And I didn't buy it for the packaging, anyhow ..

I'm off to try to get a backup of this outrageously gorgeous LE! continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2006 6:22:00 AM More reviews by stolenlife

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It is described as a "[r]are, rich raspberry red with soft red pearl," on the MAC website. The Couture release is only available at MAC online, freestanding and pro store.
This is not a true red color, if you are expecting a red as in MAC's Russian Red. Put your money towards Russian Red if you want that. Once put on, Red no. 5's color ends up being a pink-toned red raspberry color. I really like it because it is very wearable, unlike a true red.
The color has a lot to do with the lipliner you choose to wear it with. With red enriched cremestick it is redder/less pink and bolder. You'll pretty much have lips like Eva Green in Casino Royale, but with a little more lustre. With the lure lip pencil it looks truer to its raspberry color and softer. I HIGHLY recommend wearing a lip liner with this lipstick. I usually avoid lipliners, but they are a must with this lipstick [and any red lipstick]. Not just because of bleeding/feathering, but because reds need a clean lip shape and without a lipliner it looks a tad washed out and messy.
The formula feels like a lustre and the color payoff is good. It stains the lips a little, so the lasting powering is good for a lustre. It even stained my new 316 brush. It is still a bit pink after 2 deep washes with MAC brush cleanser and water, so you may want to watch out for that.
Prestigious lipglass will make it look better, but I belive a dab of any clear to pink lustreglass on top of it would work. I used flashmode on top and it looked great and I also tried Shu Uemura's pear gloss on top and it was similar in results.
Right, and the most important part of Couture: the packaging.
The packaging is a big gimmick and though some might like it I find it more trouble than it is worth. It is cute in the store and fun to see. However, the metal casing gathers fingerprints like no other and scratches easily. I would not put it in my purse, because it would come out a mass of scratches. It was an interesting idea and fun for a season, but if all MAC packaging was like this I would be very annoyed. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2006 12:18:00 AM More reviews by Jnnlis

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This lipstick is part of the MAC Couture launch. MAC Couture is marketed as a high-end launch of luxury MAC lip and face products. I love this lipstick! I would describe it as a warm metallic garnet colour. Reminds me of the metallic finish from a sports car. The lasting power of this lipstick is definitely more than the average MAC lipstick. The packaging is lovely too. It comes in a metallic square case. Highly recommended.