April 16, 2014 | 1904 users online

Hair - Nioxin - Thinning Hair System 3

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 9:57:00 PM More reviews by alliecat1234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have Hashimoto's thyroid and I was diagnosed when I was thirteen years old. After that my hair started to thin, and by the time I was 22 it had rapidly thinned to the point where I had large bold spots all over my head, and my hair was very thin everywhere else. And, the hair that I had was dry, breaking, knots everywhere...dying. After it had gotten so terrible, I cut all my hair off. It was a nightmare to say the least. I went on a serious researching mission - my hair was beautiful once, couldn't it be again?

I did 3 part system on my hair after researching the internet and trying everything!! Here's what I did and after two longs years later, my hair is soo close to being what it was when I was a thirteen year old girl, with beautiful thick long hair. My problem was that not enough (probably very little) blood and nutrients were getting to my scalp that thick layers of skin dried over areas and was so thick that hair could not penetrate through.

Garlic juice (pressing garlic) every night for eight months gave my hair a much needed nutrient boost and after 8 months all that dried up skin peeled off in thick layers. (Disgusting, but satisfying). Just press the garlic and put the juice on the problem areas.

Messaging your head every day for 5-10minutes so allow the blood to get there. Try and get the skin off the scalp! And, your scalp should be red where you messaged. Two fingers pushing together like 1inch apart. SUPER EFFECTIVE.

And, last but not least, Nioxin. It changed the little hair that I had from shitty, brittle, dying state to shinny, thicker and smoother. All other products I had tried, store bought and salon could not help the dire state that my hair was in. I would recommend using the Scalp Therapy as it gives your hair vitamins that it needs.

What I've learned from loosing almost all my hair as a 22 year old girl:
Getting blood to your scalp to deliver the nutrients it needs and keeping the holes where your hair comes through open and clean is the best mechanism to fighting balding.

I hope this review helps!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2014 4:52:00 PM More reviews by Lilypily93

I'm a stress head. A big one at that! So when my hairdresser pointed out that all my hair was falling out, my heart dropped. I love my hair. I've been growing it for over a year now. No heat products are allowed near it! I want to achieve that flawless & perfect length we all dream of! She recommended I use nioxin 3 (I have baby fine hair). There seem to be a lot of bad reviews, so I was extremely nervous to use it. I don't know why. This is amazing! Everything weighs my hair down, but this is doesn't. It seems to have cleaned everything off my hair and it looks beautiful. My hair is full of bounce & just looks amazing. I even have waves! Thin hair? Buy this!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2013 6:58:00 AM More reviews by Alexandra123Y

I am not convinced by the system. Being formulated for fine color treated hair it feels bit heavy. I could feel that my hair is weighed down a bit after using the products. I wish the shampoo and conditioner left my hair lighter.
Maybe I misunderstood the concept as I was not using the system against hair loss. I have no issues with losing hair and was intending to use the system as regular products.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2013 6:28:00 PM More reviews by ebonykeys

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used to have fine but thick hair and didn't used to have much hair loss while showering, combing etc. When I started colouring my hair it became quite dry and brittle so I started using Keratase products to remedy it which worked really well initially. However, I started experiencing product built up in my roots and scalp (eek!) which was really hard to wash off.

I then switched to TREsemme Deep Cleansing shampoo which helped with the built up but stripped my hair and made it more brittle than usual even though I continued to condition my hair with Kerastase Nutritive Masquitense. I then started noticing more and more hair in my shower drain and in my comb. The last straw was when my mum pointed out that my hair looked limped and thinner than before.

For the next few months I desperately searched and tried different hair products including Aveda but nevertheless failed to find a solution. Finally, I found Nioxin. I initially thought the whole concept behind the product was quite gimmicky but gave it a try even though I was pretty skeptical.

I used the Hair System 3 everyday plus the Deep Repair Hair Masque (mid to ends only). It's been a month since and I must say Nioxin is WONDERFUL. My hair is noticeably thicker now, almost back to the way it was (even my mum noticed!) and there's less hair clogging the shower drain! The shampoo did a great job cleaning my scalp without stripping it and I've not had any problems with product built up. One word of caution though is that the Scalp Treatment stings a little on first use but it's fine after the 2nd, at least it was for me. The products don't really smell nice but who cares! As long as it works! Definitely sticking to it.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/16/2012 2:58:00 PM More reviews by decoded

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tried this last Christmas because the J.C.Penny's salon in my mall had the kits and the bigger bottles on super discount because they were clearing merchandise, and because a worker there highly rec'ed it to me for my hair problems. I got several bottles because my hair has significantly thinned out in the last four years, sometimes due to depression sometimes due to me dying and fussing with my hair too much. I used this for about a week and started noticing that there were a lot more strands of hair being lost when I washed. I looked up some reviews and saw this can do the opposite, and make you lose hair. I returned it immediately, and won't use that again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2012 1:28:00 AM More reviews by kateST

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have very long hair that is bleached platinum blonde. It's damaged because of coloring and using hot tools. recently I burned off the top layer of my hair with a new curling iron that turned out to be too hot.

My hair was fried and lifeless. It became much thinner. It had zero bounce.

I bought the system on a whim at Marshall's for $10 - I got the trial size.
after two uses my hair has become MUCH MUCH BETTER. It has bounce again, my scalp feels great, it's shiny, it doesn't break off as much and the burn off ends have "calmed down".

I've been trying so many drugstore things, and nothing did the trick. I am in love with this product. Whatever it is doing, it's making my hair look much thicker and healthier. Although it is a little drying on my ends, it doesn't cause them to break off- it just makes them "feel" a little dry. Therefore I use biosilk on wet ends and it solves the issue. I am planning on purchasing the full sized system.

Highly recommended, not only for "thinning hair", but also for damaged hair. It will not make your hair grow faster- it will make ur hair healthier as it grows out. ( for faster hair growth I've been taking 5,000 mcg of biotin everyday for the past 3 years )

rated 1 of 5 on 5/27/2012 11:42:00 AM More reviews by 1258762841233245555

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Do NOT buy the Nioxin line of products for hair thinning until you do your research. My hairdresser recommended it and I have lost at least half of my hair - and the hair I have left is dry and brittle - and still coming out. Do you homework. I was not having any hair loss or problems when I started this product - just wanted something to stimulate growth and add volume. My when I hairdresser said to stick with it when first bought it, because it might take a few months to work. I only wash my hair twice a week because it is fine and dry and difficult to style after washing. So, I used Nioxin for over two months and started noticing my hair was dry and the conditioner was not getting the tangles out. When I combed my hair out, lots of hair was coming out. For the first time in my life, I had to remove hair from my shower drain. Also, my hair was coming out when I brushed it. The slightest tangle would cause hair to come out. Hair was everywhere! I have done nothing else differently - other than Nioxin. So, I know that's what it is. I have not had stress, no health issues, no diet issues or thyroid problem, etc. After doing research, I learned that Nioxin does cause hair loss as it is "cleansing the scalp environment." When I told my hairdresser this, she said she did not know that. Also, Nioxin contains two "harsh detergents" in the main ingredients -- in its very expensive shampoo that is supposed to be GOOD for your hair. I can't believe it. This is a very upsetting experience. My hair is now very thin, and I can't style it to look good. It's going to be a long time before I recover from this nightmare.

I HATE Nioxin!
Yes, I called customer service. They acted like this was unusual. )Read various reviews; it's not) And offered to give me money back.
I don't care about the money!
I want my hair back.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2012 9:49:00 PM More reviews by fragrance

What can I say..... saved my hair. I have been using it for over 10 years. Try it. If you have fine baby hair, what do you have to loose ?

rated 2 of 5 on 12/30/2011 5:34:00 PM More reviews by MM43

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have always had long, fine hair and lots of it. But over the past year lost a significant amount of hair due to a protein deficiency and now that it is growing back I wanted to give it the best chance by using Nioxin. I washed and conditioned then used the scalp treatment...and within an hour washed it all out because it was so toxic to me. First of all, the shampoo and conditioner has a minty chemical smell that is offensive and the scalp treatment smells like minty vitamin B. The smell alone was disgusting and I felt an almost allergic reaction to the products. It just didn't seem right. I believe this works for some people, but I would not recommend it if you are sensitive to chemicals or fragrances.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2011 10:41:00 PM More reviews by smartigirl13

Do not buy this product! I have experienced horrible results from it. Not only did it completely dry my hair out, it caused severe chest pains and dizziness. I had no idea that they were related until I was searching "Nioxin side effects" on the internet and came across this article: http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss-articles/404-nioxin-side-effects.htm
It described a problem exactly as I was currently experiencing. Since then I have stopped using the product and feel much better each day. Please take this seriously and DO NOT use this product. I have tried to contact Nioxin and have yet to received an answer. These side effects are extremely painful and scary. Do not take this risk. I will never use Nioxin again!