April 20, 2014 | 1444 users online

Treatments - Kate Somerville - Exfolikate

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2014 12:01:00 AM More reviews by missashleyosu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

absolutely my favorite exfoliant. definitely worth the money for the outcome.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2014 8:07:00 PM More reviews by PinkDogwoods

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

i have had several of the small tubes of this and always it smelled of dill. Recently I got another and I braced myself for the smell but immediately realized something was different. I smelled the cinnamon and thought so this is what people mean by it smells good. This one was less harsh on my skin also. So, I'm wondering if I've always gotten rancid product. Can't do anything about it now but would like to know. Even so, this is one of my favorite products because I get immediate results, my dry patches wipe right off. I use it more often than is recommended because my skin is extraordinarily dry. Will at some point try the Dr Dennis Gross products but for now I can recommend this product-if it smells like cinnamon. And the price? well I feel that most of the time you get what you pay for. The packaging is fine I've never had one dry out on me and you can remove the cap and sqeeze it as it gets to the end and you can always cut open the tube.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2014 12:24:00 AM More reviews by StupidUserNames

This is such a major let down I'm so disappointed. I've been hearing people rave about this product for years and I finally broke down. I'm a veteran when it comes to tingling burning sensations from peels,washes,and enzymatic peels such as this one. I have lots of whitehead breakouts on my cheeks and one side of my neck and they're so annoying nothing makes them go away not even extractions can get them out sometimes I've been doing the 10% glycolic wash by dermadoctor and that gives a good tingle and I quit that and started doing the doctor denis gross one step acne eliminating pads and that burns as well but highly recommend those!! I recently ran out of those and I decided to give this a try I've always heard this gives a good tingle and it burns and it can also leave the skin very raw and irritated so I being a tingle burning sensation addict I gave it a try! I'm laughing at all the women who said this burned because this did absolutely nothing for me oh and I did try the intense version too! I followed the instructions and did what the package said and nothing I even left it on for an HOUR!!!! Then on top of that I said well I'm gonna try it again back to back and well this time I exfoliated longer and left it on again for another hour same thing nothing!! By then I gave up I know the enzymes had to at least do something and I thought I must be tolerant to this product and as an esthetician I know better but you know everyone's skin is different I'll give it another shot next week and update but I didn't really notice anything from this product and that a shame because I love Kate's products!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2014 3:27:00 PM More reviews by abbyfxx

This is my favorite exfoliator I've used in a long time. All the drugstore exfoliators tend to over dry my skin and produce more blemishes. This one is partially physical exfoliation (the beads and rubbing in circular motions) and chemical exfoliation. I love the smell and you only need a tiny bit to really work up a good scrub. The only downfall would be the price, but depending on what size tube you purchase it can be reasonable.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2014 8:03:00 PM More reviews by lipglossandabackpack

I've always been a fan of ultra-finely textured microdermabrasion-inspired home exfoliants. Many years ago L'Oreal made one (I bought all I could find when it was discontinued), then Biore made one (I still have half a tube) and now Kate Somerville has her version, with the added benefit of active enzymes. You only need a pea-sized amount, which allows me to easily get twenty uses out of the small tube that Sephora sells for $25 or so. I love the green color and the herbal scent of this product, but it doesn't deliver an added bonus over the drugstore versions I used to buy in the past. It will leave your skin feeling soft and smooth, and if you've got a special event it's a great morning-of treatment to ensure your makeup goes on flawlessly that night (don't be crazy, patch test a week in advance!), but I believe there are comparable products out there for much less.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/4/2014 3:21:00 PM More reviews by dragongirl26

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm glad I received samples of this before deciding to purchase - not sure I understand the excitement over this product.
From the moment I put it on my face, it started to burn like crazy, and didn't stop until I couldn't stand it anymore and had to wash it off (I did leave it on for the full two minutes, though). The scent is nice and initially reminded me of my Mychelle Pumpkin mask, but compared to some of the other masks/deep cleansers I've used before, it doesn't do anything remarkable. Plus, for being such a steep price point, I would expect the product to be full of good natural ingredients and not chock full of parabens. I've never had a scrub that stung this badly, and I don't generally have sensitive skin. Even when I washed it off and used a cleansing cloth to wipe my eye makeup off later, the skin around my eyes immediately started to burn on contact with the cloth (and I have never had that problem with my cleansing cloths). There are definitely better, much cheaper products out there. I'll stick with my Mychelle, thanks.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2014 7:56:00 PM More reviews by Arpita1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My face feels extremely clean after using this. It does not make my skin glow as much as I would like, but it is pretty good. It is kind of pricey for what it does - I prefer Tracie Martyn's scrub, you are guaranteed a glow with that one. I don't care for calling everything Kate - sort of stuck on herself.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2013 11:42:00 AM More reviews by HunterGray

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Pricey, but this does do a nice job at perking up my skin when it starts to get a little dull looking. If I have breakouts under my skin this also seems to help bring them to the surface, so they heal a little quicker. I usually buy the small size and keep the tube in my shower. I apply it to my wet face/neck and let it sit while I do other things (shave, condition my hair, etc) for about 5 minutes. I don't get any lasting irritation from this, just a slight itchy/tingling feeling on the more sensitive areas of my face when I first apply it. I don't notice any redness on my face when I rinse it off, just clean, smooth skin. I tend to use this once every couple of weeks. More often than that isn't necessary for my skin type, and I like to make it last. You really don't need much product either, about a pea sized amount will take care of business. Don't let the beads confuse you, this isn't a manual exfoliator. Let the enzymes do the work!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2013 2:56:00 PM More reviews by katgolightly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

It's a biweekly exfoliant with enzymes. It kind of looks like a bug turd. Seriously, who designs this stuff? My skin isn't particularly sensitive but this stuff stings enough to make me freak out every time I use it. It subsides pretty quickly so I'm able to leave it on the recommended 2 minutes. My skin looks a little bit red afterwards but seems to calm down pretty quickly. I only use it before bed for that reason though. After use my skin does feel very smooth and soft. I like that the grit in it isn't super large. Sometimes it seems like it takes forever to rinse off a physical exfoliant and I keep finding pieces of almond hull or sand or what have you every time I touch my face. This stuff is pretty crazy expensive if you ask me so it's not one I would go out and buy, but I'll happily use up samples and trials.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2013 10:18:00 AM More reviews by Triscuits

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I was so impressed by this product after receiving several samples, that I recently ordered the .5 oz size at $22. I wasn't willing to plop down $85 for the 2 oz size, and quite honestly, ordering the 2 oz didn't seem very economical anyway. A savings of $3? Big whoop. I'd rather just order a fresh new .5 oz tube when I need one and forgo the measly savings.
Especially so, since this product contains enzymes which are activated by WATER. Given that, a fresh tube that you'll use up more quickly, rather than an economy tube that may run the risk of becoming contaminated by water and/or less efficacious over time, is probably ideal.

Since so many people in reviews either admit to not reading the directions or seem to not read them, or read them wrong, or use this product however they want and then wonder why it doesn't work and/or complain about it burning, I'm going to include the directions.

This is what the directions say, word -for-word, on the sample (I haven't received my order yet, but presumably the same is said on the tube as well):

"How To Use: AM or PM. Use once or twice a week. Apply a thin, even layer to a clean, wet face, massaging in a circular motion for 30 seconds. Leave on for up to 2 minutes. Rinse and gently pat dry. This product may cause the skin to tingle and flush slightly for a short time. For sensitive skin, leave on for less than 1 minute, or use ExfoliKate Gentle instead."

Why I liked this product:

*Instant and remarkable results - Just in the first 30 seconds of mere application wherever I was applying it I could feel the texture of my skin becoming smoother beneath my fingers. When I rinsed it off, my skin was glowing, my pores had drastically shrunk, my skin was smooth, and my skin wasn't raw or tight/stinging anywhere. It definitely felt like the dead skin was exfoliated away only, and not any new skin. My glycolic acid product (my HG chemical exfoliant) had its tail between its legs because the results of this Kate product were so phenomenal.
*The results last a long time - I had several samples of this product, and though the directions say to use once or twice a week, when I used the remaining product left in one of samples in the same week about 4 days later, it was unnecessary because my skin was still smooth and my pores were still shrunken and tiny. I didn't open another sample until more than a full week later, and I could have gone longer than that. My typical routine is that I had to regularly exfoliate my skin, 2 times a week at least for my foundation to apply the way I want it to, but I think this product produces such lasting results, I think I could definitely get away with once every 1.5 weeks to 2 weeks.
*LIP EXFOLIATION - Best lip exfoliator ever. Gets all the dead skin and takes none of the new skin, unlike lip scrubs that either are too abrasive and take new skin with the dead skin, or not abrasive enough and don't take all the dead skin. The the .5 oz of this is about the same price as Fresh's lip scrub, and this is a worlds apart better lip exfoliator. It's just perfection.
*The smell - Love the smell of this stuff. I don't know how to describe it, but the closest thing I can think of is **something like** tea tree oil, but not that. It's a bit more herbal and spicy than that. It's intoxicating, I love it. Even if I had hated this product, I would be all over any Kate Somerville Aromatherapy line that had this scent, lol.

What I don't understand about this product:

*The granules - why are they there? This isn't a scrub, the exfoliating is from the enzymes, what's the point of the granules? The granules seem to me to only lend to confusion about how to use this product, and increase user error.
*Why must this be taken off so quicky - My understanding is enzymes break down dead skin, and don't act on living skin. Shouldn't I be able to leave this product on all day then with no ill effect? There must be something else in this product that makes it hazardous to leave on for more than 2 minutes. Why is it in there? Is it necessary?
*Price - Seems quite steep. I really probably shouldn't have "price" here under my list of things I "don't understand", because given that it works so well and lives up to its claims and delivers amazing results, and that it's not a daily treatment but one you'll use maybe 2x a week at most so even a seemingly measly amount will last a while, and the Kate Somerville brand is fairly prestigious, the pricetag is probably warranted. But the price still stings a little...

Get your hands on some samples, and see what you think. And follow the directions. Remember to keep your face and the product wet during the application and treatment process.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No