Kate Somerville Exfolikate

3.9

Water, Lactic Acid, Polyethylene, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Pectin, Carica Papaya Fruit, Lactobacillus/Cucurbita Pepo Fruit, Ferment Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Papain, Bromelain, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Mel, Acetic Acid, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Pogostemon Cablin Oil, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Salicylic Acid, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Cinnamal, Potassium Sorbate, Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Geraniol, Citronellol, Cinnamal, Eugenol, Benzyl Benzoate, Beta-Carotene (CI 75130), Chlorophyllin-Copper Complex (CI 75810). 6/26/09

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I can't believe I bought a full size of this at some point in 2014. I still haven't made a dent in it. Not because "a little goes a long way", but because the product SUCKS.

First things first, if you have thin skin - run away now. You do not need physical exfoliation. I myself have skin thinner than paper. Microdermabrasion or any type of scrubbing just equals broken capillaries and further irritated skin for me. Chemical exfoliation (IE alpha hydroxy acids or retinoids) followed by a proper moisturizer yield the best results for my acne-prone, oily skin. If you have thick, tough skin on the other hand - be my guest.

My other big issue with Exfolikate is that it's overhyped and overpriced. I can name many similar products on the market with a much lower price point. Boots No 7 currently makes a similar product. Efolikate throws in anti aging ingredients that, although beneficial, are useless in this formula. Why? Because you're not leaving this on as a mask. It's not going to be on your skin long term like a moisturizer. Even the directions state to leave it on your skin for 20 seconds. Do you *really* think that's long enough for the ingredients to work their magic?

No, I clearly won't repurchase.

Received the $22 tube of it in a sample bag from somewhere; didn't bother with it because I have dry and sensitive skin. For whatever reason, I pulled it out and used it one night....HOLY COW, this stuff is amazing!!!! I use a VERY small amount, gently scrub and let sit for a minute and rinse....skin is like glass and glows!!! I only use it once a week and this small tube has lasted me 6 months so far; I will DEFINITELY buy a full size tube once this one is gone.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

The only thing that I hate about this product is the price. It hurts my soul to ever pay over $80 for something I literally wash down the drain. $80!?! That is one ATM button away from hundred bucks and that hurts my soul. However, there is no denying in this case you get what you pay for. I've been skeptical about peels and exfoliators for a while, not because I don't believe they work but because I have never found an at home system that comes anywhere near a professional spa treatment. And professional spa treatments definitely work. At least for me.

When it comes to my skin care, the problems and solutions are pretty straight forward, dull skin needs buffing away, clogged pores need opening up, and a few spots need brightening. And here's the thing folks. These solutions have been known for a very very long time. They aren't new and they aren't changing. So any time a box reads "New Solution" or "New Discovery" they are lying. They just are. There's nothing new. Steam opens poor. Acids kill dead skin cells. Rough surfaces like sand and beads will buff your skin too. This is science, but it isn't new science. The question then is, what's the right combination for me (and for you).

For me, and a large number of women with common skin problems, it's Exfolikate, because it does exactly what it says it will do applying knowledge known for ages. I use this once a week in the shower (because the steam opens up my pores!). I leave it on for about half a minute if my skin is feeling good that week, or a full minute or two if it's been a bad week (I like to rinse my hair conditioner out while I let Exfolikate set in). My skin feels noticeably different after. Sometimes I'll do an extra application during the week before a heavy make-up night or something like that. Every other week I add a more intense treatment like a peel pad or intense face mask. If I'm worried that my skin is getting used to any of my products (because skin does that) I switch things up. Then I swap Exfolikate for a gentler daily exfoliating wash and add it back in after a few weeks. No matter what, Exfolikate gets the job done. My only issue is I have to use it sparingly because I'm trying to make that eighty plus bucks last!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have never really exfoliated regularly with my St. Ives scrub, but I purchased the the smallest tube of this a few months ago after trying and liking a Sephora sample. Now, I am officially on the chemical exfoliant band wagon, if there is such a thing.

I use this once a week int the shower and follow it with a hydrating mask. My skin is smooth, hydrated, and happy, but I do feel like my little tube became less effective over time. I experienced a mild burning sensation the first time I used this product, but after using it a few times, that burning sensation following application went away. I don't feel like my skin could get used to something I use once a week, which leads me to wonder whether my tube of Exfolikate became inert after a while. I would probably give Exfolikate another shot and see if the same thing happens again, but I'm also eager to try other chemical exfoliants, like PTR's Pumpkin Enzyme Mask.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Kate Somerville's Exfolikate is hands-down the best skincare product I've ever used. Nothing has made my skin feel better or smoother than this. But the price. Holy shit. It will be so difficult justifying repurchasing this. But seriously, this product is easily holy grail status.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I can't believe how much I love this stuff. Like most people, I jumped on the 'chemical exfoliant acid' bandwagon years ago and banished all grainy scrub type products from my routine. But, I recently got a deluxe sample from Sephora and it makes my skin feel amazing. So smooth, and after using this my night time products glide on and soak right in. I don't have sensitive skin particularly, but I breakout easily - this doesn't sting or cause any reaction, and so far hasn't caused any clogs. I only use it once a week, sometimes 2, as I still use a mild chemical exfoliant every morning and prescription retinoid at night. Price point I don't think it's too bad, considering how little you use. Less is definitely more, slathering on loads like you would a mask will just be a waste. Love this!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Um....NO. This stuff is not for me.

I can honestly say I tried to use this abt 5 times in an attempt at giving it a fair shot but with each new try, my skin hated it more and more. This product contains a ton of skin irritants so I can't really say if any specific one was the culprit of irritation, or if it was a combo. This left my skin raw and irritated and it really burned. Keep in mind I have straight up leather skin which can easily take on glyco and lactic peels at home (up to 50%) without batting an eye, as well as hardcore professional peels in a derm office - YET this product was the only mask/peel I have ever encountered where wanted it removed before the time was up. That says a lot to me.

While I am glad this works for many (per all these pos. reviews), it is not a good product for me. I also would not recommend it to anyone with dry skin, and def if your skin is sensitive stay far away from this product.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

It's been several years since I've bought this and unless the formula has changed in the last 5 years, this stuff is the bomb. Seriously the best exfoliating treatment I've ever used. Expensive but worth it if you can afford it.

I bought the small version of this a few months ago. I have large pores on my nose and cystic/ hormonal acne breakouts sometimes along my jawline. What I love about this is after only 30 seconds my face feels MUCH smoother and most of my pores are noticeably clearer (not necessarily smaller but definitely clearer). When I use this during a hormonal breakout, it calms the really red bumps and dries them out a bit, making them easier to cover with makeup.

I only use this every few days as it can feel a bit harsh with overuse but I seriously recommend this. I actually asked for a free sample of it first at sephora to just give it a try without committing, then loved it and purchased the smallest size. Give it a try!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

It has a light spicy scent and I only need a small amount for my face. It doesn't feel harsh on my oily, but sensitive skin and it rinses clean. It also does a great job of getting the flakey areas around my nose and chin smooth and soft. It doesn't aggravate my skin or clog my pores. There are cheaper scrub I like, but this is nice.

Top Rated Kate Somerville Products