MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Lightscapade

4.3

on 5/26/2015 5:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I've wanted Lightscapde since I first saw in online last year (yes, I'm late to the MAC highlighting party). Not so much because of the near rave reviews but because it's just so nice to look at and the name is rather groovy. About a year ago, I went to the MAC counter with the intent of purchasing this but the SA made a face and said it was likely too light for me (I'm an NC30 for reference). I was bummed but she recommended Soft and Gentle instead which I bought. I ended up returning that because there was just too much shimmer in it for my taste and it struck me more as a bronzer which I honestly don't need. Despite being told Lightscapde was too light for me, I still kept it as a "Need to Get" product in my mind, tan skin be damned.

Cut to late last year when MAC released their 9 billionth collection of the year - Lightness of Being. I wasn't terrible interested in anything the collection had to offer but I did read reviews for it. Most were indignant that two of MAC's more popular highlighters - Lightscapde and Perfect Topping - were being re-promoted but the coloring was completely different. I took this as a sign that I should buy the "new" versions mainly because I was still lemming after Lighscapde and just couldn't accept that it was too light for me. Both shades ended up working out for me as I suppose the new batches aren't as light. The Lightness of Being version of both highlighters aren't as interesting to look because the cool veining that is present in the ordinary version is obscured by a quilting imprint. No idea why MAC chose to do that but they're still workable.

For whatever reason, the new versions of these highlighters work well on my skin tone. Since I'm already naturally tan, I generally avoid brown/bronze highlighters as they tend to make me look a bit Kardashian-esque. After years of tinkering, I've realized that I prefer the effect that highlighters with actual color (like blue, green, etc.) produce. Although Lightscapde is pretty light, it doesn't end up looking chalky or ashy on my skin. It just give my cheek and brow bones a nice sheen with a very small amount of glitter that is really only noticeable in sunlight (and you still don't end up looking like a Club Kid which is a plus). If you pile it, you likely will look like a glazed donut so unless that's your intention, use this sparingly. I highly doubt I'll need to repurchase this because the amount is more than enough to last years (yes, I said years) provided you're just using this for yourself on a daily basis. I rotate between different highlighters anyhow which makes most last much longer than I'd like to admit.

I would highly recommend Lightscapde to anyone who is looking for a subtle yet glowly highlighter. If you think the original version may be too light, give the Lightness of Being version a shot.

on 5/26/2015 5:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

UPDATE I found my old PF mineral glow pearls in the finish translucent is a close duplicate of this. I did some comparisons tonight. The PF is pinkier, but it's honestly close enough for me. Problem is that it's too tightly packed and picking it up is murder, even with fingers. For that reason I'm glad I got the MSF.

Lightscapade is almost exactly what I had hoped strobe cream would be. Word to the wise though, there are actually two different types of this product available from the Mac website. Both of them are called lightsapade, but they are different. Just beware when ordering.
Where the strobe cream is concerned, I saw no discernible difference between before I applied it and after. Which is a little bit sad to me, as I had high hopes, but at least I only got the $10 bottle.
Anyway, Lightscapade is a subtle, beautiful, natural glow powder. It leaves a very sublime luminescent glow to the skin and can be applied all over. As yet I have detected no discernible glitter flecks. It is very hard to overdo this product, but it can be done. And when it is over done, it becomes kind of white and chalky. The formula is very smooth and somewhat creamy, and the powder is easy to pick up.
PROS: I believe that for the price this will last me a couple years so I think it's a good value. It is a subtle highlight suitable for all over application or accentuation on certain parts. On my particular skintone it works very well. I have found no trouble applying it all over my foundation, it is also easy to apply after moisturization/primer. I use a fluffy brush and it goes on like a dream. The keyword here is subtle, if you were looking for something more apparent I would suggest using a different product. Personally I keep some Mary Lou on hand for when I want that all out shine. Yet for everyday wear, I find this perfect and I use it quite often.
CONS: applying it to a dry skin without moisturization or primer or foundation first is a bad idea. This product can become very chalky and exacerbate crepeiness and lines. I am not a huge fan of powders and only use powder highlighters wearily. But this is a great product and I certainly recommend at the very least swatching it the next time you're at the Mac store.

on 4/19/2015 5:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Lightscapade is gorgeous to look at, it's gorgeous to own, it's just so gorgeous! It's a really subtle highlighter that requires some building up of the product, the pigmentation isn't the best, but the glow is really subtle and it's just so beautiful! It separates at the end of a long day, but it holds up well even when I'm out and about, at the end of the day there are still traces of it left. I do like the packaging, and there's a slight scent to it which I like too. I'll be honest I got it because it just looked so pretty, and it didn't disappoint me. Works great on my light-medium skin! The very first ingredient on it is Talc though, and I'm not so sure if I should be bothered by it though I do try to avoid cosmetics with such ingredients. MAC should stop with the false promotion of natural/mineral makeup if it contains ingredients like these.

on 4/12/2015 11:12:00 AM

LOVE THIS HIGHLIGHTER! Especially for pale skin, use to highlight cheek bones or all over my face for that subtle glow, lasts forever for the price, am a MSF junkie!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is an amazing highlighter for pale skin - and I'm quite pale at the moment (NC15-NC20). It gives that perfect glow like the other Mineralize Skinfinish (I also own it in Soft and Gentle) while there is enough product to last me a lifetime.

When I get a little more tan in the summertime I will probably use my Soft and Gentle instead.

on 4/7/2015 12:35:00 AM

I love that this is a permanent line because for my NW15 (winter)/NC30 (summer) skintone, it's a perfect highlighter year-round.

Unlike most other MSF that they put out, this one has a subtle sheen that looks lit from within that looks good for a daytime look. I've noticed that the new formulra is slightlest bit more frost but I don't think the difference is huge. The cool ivory-champage is wonderful for me and I think it will work up to a light olive skin tone.

It's got a buttery texture and last all day unless you have oily cheeks, for which I recommend priming with a setting spray beforehand.

I love this as an inner corner highlight, browbone, and the cheekbone, so pretty much anywhere that can be highlighted. In the 2 years that I've owned it, this I've just manages to flatten down the dome a teeny bit.

Definitely worth the money! :D

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Although I probably wouldn't repurchase this highlighter because I like trying new things (I only repurchase things I LOVE completely), I do really like it.

The packaging is kinda awkward but very pretty. The highlighter itself looks beautiful, as I'm sure you've seen from photos, and I'm a sucker for pretty things. I'm quite disapointed with the pigment, because usually that is something that MAC does well. But saying that, it is a natural highlighter anyway, but you can definitely see the glow on your face as it isn't translucent at all. It is a white shade, and it is quite longlasting. I would recommend.

on 3/30/2015 10:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

The one highlighter I always go back to. It gives my NW20 skin an ethereal glow, but never looks overtly shimmery. In the pan, it's a gorgeous pastel rainbow of pink, blue, white and beige, but the beige is the part that translates to the skin.

on 3/30/2015 10:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This highlighter gives the best finishing touch to your look.
A natural glow that doesn't shimmer and glitter.
Perfect on fair skin tones, but even more prettier on medium skin to give extra definition.

If your thinking about getting this highlighter then stop thinking and just go get it! I honestly can't rave about this product anymore on my pale skin its the perfect highlight! It's gives such a glow that doesn't look shimmery or glittery its beautiful.

I've had mine for almost a year now and its still going strong so for that reason I dont feel the price is too bad as you do get your monies worth.

Love , love , love it.