April 17, 2014 | 1379 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - one-step gentle cleanser

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2013 8:08:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

I'm on my second bottle of this and it's a great gentle cleanser that removes make-up as well. Doesn't strip my skin either, and no heavy or offensive fragrance. It is a foaming gel cleanser but it won't turn your face into a bubble bath or anything like that!

I prefer to use this on days I wear make-up (after Bioderma Sensibio Micellar) and rotate with Neutrogena Ultra Gentle cream cleanser or jojoba oil in the morning or days when I have very little to no make-up on. The One-Step does a much better job of removing any make-up compared to the Ultra Gentle. I use it around my eyes to get pesky traces of mascara with no problems, no redness, no stinging. I use a warm wash cloth both morning and night with either cleanser.

I just wish the bottle was bigger, it's only 153mL compared to the Ultra Gentle which is 354mL - my first bottle of One Step barely lasted me a month when I used it for both day and night. One Step is still one of the best cleansers I've tried so far and I will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2013 3:53:00 PM More reviews by Fotze

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I've been using this cleanser for a couple of months now, and I really love it. I bought it on a whim at Target and now it has become my favorite cleanser. I have very sensitive skin, and I find that this does not break me out or dry out my skin. I do not like to use it in my eyes since it can be pretty harsh and irritating there, so I use Maybelline's Clean Express lotion first and wipe away all my eye makeup, then I use this as a face cleanser. Afterwards, I like to use some witch hazel just to tone my skin and I hardly ever see any makeup residue on the cotton ball, so I know the cleanser is doing a good job getting all my makeup off. And like someone else said, this product can be hard to find. I've looked but I can never find it at my Walmart, so I end up just having to buy it at Target which can be a pain. But since you only need to use a very small amount of this product with each use, it does last a while so it's not too big of a deal. And at a price tag of around $7, I think it's a great value.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2013 10:21:00 AM More reviews by smittycar

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

LOVE IT !! This is the ONLY facial cleanser I use. It removes make-up and doesn't strip your skin. I have sensitive, easily breaks out skin and this doesn't cause any problems with my skin. I use this with my Clarisonic and I use a little drop right in the middle of the brush and it works great!. It can be hard to find, it's not found with the usual Neutrogena products, it usually found in the make-up isle of the drugstores not in the skin care isles.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/6/2013 10:07:00 PM More reviews by pollinad

This does a good job of removing all my face makeup. It even removes the Revlon Colorstay foundation, which can be tricky to get off. It does not perform so well with eye makeup, unfortuately. And it is NOT gentle on the eye area- it made my eyes burn pretty badly.

If you have a separate eye makeup remover that you use and are just looking for something for your face, this is not a bad choice. If you are looking for a cleanser that is truly "one step," I would suggest something like MAC's Cleanse Off Oil.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2012 2:28:00 PM More reviews by AuNatural716

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm surprised there are any bad reviews to this product at all, bc as someone with oily sensitive, super allergy-prone skin, this has been a savior for my makeup removing efforts!!! I have tried a million makeup remover and baby wipes along with oils to remove makeup, and have always stayed broken out because of this...then when I randomly switched to this on a limb, the breakouts and blackheads galore have since been minimizing!! I make sure to wash with another cleanser after this anyway b/c usually i need to use some salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide to kinda treat my skin, but this serves as an excellent makeup remover b/c you can even see the makeup washing down the drain as you rinse your face! Totally a fun end-of-the-night sighting to know you're finally getting your face really clean and I'm so glad I found this product!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/13/2012 11:51:00 PM More reviews by XFOLI8R

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

For me, the trick with this cleanser is to use a TINY amount -- about 1/4 of a pump, the size of a small pea. If I use more than that it's too drying, but if I put a tiny bit on my already-wet face and massage very gently for 10-15 seconds, it foams nicely, cleans well, and removes makeup (I don't wear foundation) without leaving my skin feeling tight. Of course I rinse it off very thoroughly. I sometimes use this at night before serums or other treatments, since active ingredients penetrate skin better when it's super-clean. This also works as a follow-up to oil cleansing if it feels like there's too much of a film left after rinsing off the oil. The light fragrance doesn't bother me. Good value, too -- I'll probably buy again if it's still available when I run out of my current bottle in 2014 or so.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2012 5:32:00 AM More reviews by ishara

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great cleanser. Cleans up really well, especially around the eyes.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2012 12:46:00 AM More reviews by calitrendy05

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

holy grail cleanser! removes all my makeup. i dont need to use any eye makeup remover before this. it never broke me out. super gentle, great for daily use and it smells great not to strong. they are kinda hard to find though. it could be a little drying

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2012 6:12:00 PM More reviews by misssornia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

BEST product ever! i don't even know where to start with this review. I originally bought this cleanser because the neutrogena makeup remover wipes broke me out like crazy! i have very acne prone skin. got my 1st pimple in the fourth grade. i'm now a senior in college and still have issues with it. anyway, going off topic this product works wonders with not breaking me out. i purchased this product after finding it very difficult to completely remove my revlon colorstay foundation in one rinse. this cleanser definitely does the job. i made sure everyone in my family knew about this product and now their all hooked! i recommend this product for anyone who suffers from acne and find that wipes are to harsh on their skin. i wish everyone knew how awesome this product is, hopefully this review helps you out in discovering that.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/17/2012 7:22:00 PM More reviews by october10

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't even know where to begin because this product is just soo bad.
Take my word for it and don't buy it if you're a person who is used to make up cleansers that are actually usable.

I love their eye remover so much i thought i'd give this a try since it was right next to it and words can not explain the disappointment i had.

First off, it smells like cheap deoderant mixed with sweat.

Second, it dried out my oily and acne prone skin to the extent that i have never felt before. It's VERY drying and damaging even to my youthful skin. I wouldn't recommend this for ANY age.

Third, it's not that good of a cleanser. I've seen better products for the same price.

Lastly, it doesn't even remove make up that well. You have to really rub it in to just remove your foundation. Don't even try your eyes. You will need to use bottle of eye creams with its drying effect.

Again, I am very disappointed in this product.
I assume Neutrogena will have to reformulate this product if they want to continue selling it.
I usually never leave bad reviews for makeup products but this, this, is so worth every caution that i'm writing.

Don't be fooled by the awesome eye remover from the same line of product! This is nothing like it!