November 27, 2014 | 984 users online

Lips - C.O. Bigelow - Spearmint Mentha Lip Shine

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2014 2:08:00 PM More reviews by stimwink1

I am a huge fan of the menta lip shines. I like to use them on top of lippies for extra shine and by themselves when I don't really want color but I want something more than just a balm on my lips.

Packaging is convenient. Sometimes I wish they were not so sweet as I at time not thinking will lick them off. Ugh. So when I'm in that mine frame I go to a different balm. These do give you a bit of a breath pick me up if you don't have any gum or mints.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2013 5:13:00 PM More reviews by KellyLee1988

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First off, I believe that this has been reformulated. I compared the ingredients on the tester at BBW yesterday and they listed all sorts of oils and good-for-your-skin plant based things...the new version can pretty much be described as "Chemical soup"...

Here are the current ingredients:

Ingredients: Polybutene, Petrolatum, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Menthyl Lactate, Octyldodecanol, Quaternium-18 Hectorite, Saccharin Propylene Carbonate.
- See more at: http://www.bigelowchemists.com/c-o-bigelow-mentha-lip-shine-breath-freshener-no-502.html#sthash.ouMqf8hf.dpuf

That said, I don't consider this a con. I bought this to wear over top of a long-wearing lipcolor, and I wanted to avoid as many oils, butters etc. as possible. So I actually picked it out after reading reviews and ingredient lists online out of a few different options.

I really love MAC's Lip Conditioner (in the tube) for this purpose, but wanted a cheaper (and more easily available) alternative. The main difference (other than the ingredients) between the two is that this is sticky (not horribly so, but still more so than I expected) which is not something that I prefer, but will put up with since it does the job at half the price.

My lipcolor lasted reasonably well through a party with a lot of eating and drinking (including a BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich!!!!) so I can pretty safely say that it wears well over top of my Revlon Colorstay without compromising the Colorstay too much (some balms/glosses are better than others in this regard, and one melted the stuff right off my lips!)

The gloss has a pleasant mint taste and tingle on your lips when first applied. It also has a sickly sweet taste, just like sugary spearmint candy. I rather like this, but some may. The scent/flavor doesn't last very long, but the sweetness hangs around.

I also love the squeeze tube, these are becoming my favorite way to apply lip gloss.

I would definitely repurchase this.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/14/2013 3:30:00 AM More reviews by miyamurai

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i have repurchased this product before so i believe that i am able to rate this product well. It's an amazing lipgloss it taste great last a long time gives a great shine last a very very long time. It lasted me one year and i applied it at least twice a day. But i'm not going to mislead you and tell you that you should buy it because it's amazing it has a major con and that is it's sticky. It is very very sticky which ruins the entire product and because of that i wouldn't recommend this product. If you are ok with sticky lip gloss then i this is a great product, but if you are like me and don't like a sticky residue on your lips. THIS PRODUCT IS NOT WORTH $8 FIND A DIFFERENT ONE!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2013 10:35:00 PM More reviews by Mford11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a great buy if you like lip glosses, but i would'nt recommend it if you don't like that glossy, sticky look. It has a great mint smell and leaves your lips feeling fresh and moisturized.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2012 11:14:00 AM More reviews by sabz94

Price
Got it dirt cheap as it was on sale, picked up a few of them as I was drawn in by the cute, colourful tubes. I think the Spearmint Mentha Lip Shine is definitely my favourite.

Packaging
Like I said, cute but I don't actually use the applying part of it, I used my finger for the right consistency and spread.

Smell/Taste
Love the smell and the taste. A lot of people wondering how you would TASTE the product, and you do when you unwittingly lick your lips and so on. It's very fresh and cool. Not necessarily a breath freshener, but smells great nonetheless.

Longevity
It lasts on your lips but not long enough (in my opinion) and this is the reason why I rated the product a 4 and not a 5. Need to reapply if you want to wear it all day. Good thing the tubes are pocket-sized!

Appearance
Definite shine upon use. I use my fingers to dab a little bit over lipstick/lipgloss/lipstain/lip-pencil for that extra shine factor. Works well on all, but like I said, it doesn't last too long.

Lip condition
Definitely softens, but don't forget the best thing to do for lip conditioning is to use a Lip Srub, like the Lush Lip Scrubs! = ]

Hope this helps girls x

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2012 5:09:00 PM More reviews by kikidoll27

In love with these babies. I have around five of them, and they are all compleately amazing. This one has a very nice, minty taste and a glossy sheen. I love how it's not overpoweringly scented, but it's just the right amount to where someone sitting next to you can smell just a hint of it, which is really nice. The best thing about this gloss is that it doesn't drip down my lips like a cover girl clear gloss I've tried. Also, this one can be layered for a really shiny look or dotted on for a natrual looking sheen. I love these. Would I repurchase? Already did.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 2:10:00 PM More reviews by Haruhi13

Oh my god, these are AMAZING. I usually hate lip gloss, but my lips were sunburned and this was the only thing my sister had. At first, I hated the stickiness... but that was before I realized that a) this smells and tastes incredible, and b) it's SUPER MOISTURIZING. In the span of an hour my lips stopped being dry, painful and cracked. It also looks really pretty and glossy! I don't think it really has breath freshening properties (unless you eat it?!) but they make up for it by using natural ingredients like spearmint, peppermint, canola, eucalyptus, menthe arvensis, and basil oils. The packaging is just a normal lip gloss tube, but the color and design are really cute!
This is, hands down, one of the BEST lip treatments I've ever tried (and I've tried a LOT).

rated 4 of 5 on 5/29/2011 12:01:00 PM More reviews by NurseKaren

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Yum. Great flavor, great moisturization. All around great!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2011 5:49:00 PM More reviews by combatmedicwife

Great clear gloss! It tastes great, nice and minty. Smells great, adds gloss, glimmer, and shine! It's petrolatum based. Doesn't last a really long time, but it's a lip gloss so what can I expect? Love to reapply it anyway.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2011 3:53:00 PM More reviews by plumbum

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

New favorite lip glos EVER!! A delicious minty sensation in a tube is what this is! It reminds me of exactly the smell of that Trident Spearmint gum!! It does not dry my lips out and it's not too sticky. <3 Spearmint Mentha Lip Shine!!