Vanderbilt

4.1

This was another christmas present perfume so I don't know the exact cost, but I do know that it is sold for under $10AU in australian discount chemists.

It starts off with an unusual combination of aldehydes, bergamot, neroli and pineapple. At this point is smells slightly sharp, casual and green. After about ten minutes the flowers begin to take over and the mixture of orange blossom, ylang ylang, rose and jasmine combine form a velvety smooth floral where no one note stands out. There's a heavy dose of civet (which I personally love) that is present in the top, middle and base notes. I love the drydown of sandalwood, orris root, musk, vetiver and vanilla. It's hard to describe but somehow this fragrance manages to smell both cool and warm at the same time. It's like the olfactory equivalent of running your hand over suede. Very elegant, very romantic and utterly lovely.

However, I have skin that eats some fragrances, and unfortunately, this is one of them. After half an hour it is almost a skin scent on me. After that it lingers gently for about four hours. If this was available in eau de parfum or parfum I would repurchase, because I absolutely love the way it smells.

Ignored because of it's super cheap price, this is a fragrance that is definitely worth trying, and if it lasts well on you, lucky you.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Oohh where do I begin? I smelled this on a classmate one day, thought it' lovely and reminded me of something from when I was little and immediately asked her what it is. She said "vanderbilt"and I thought the name sounded familiar and expensive. Nevertheless I looked it up online and was very pleasantly surprised to find it priced at only approx 14 £ for 100 ml . I like big bottles of perfume so I can use as much and as often as I like without feeling guilty. My boyfriend got it for me for Christmas and I couldn't be more pleased.
I find this perfume to be quite complex. First when I apply it it doesn't smell as good, way too overpowering, but after 5-10 minutes it turns to this gorgeous, powdery, flowery, vintage scent. If you get too close when smelling it it has a note of some imaginary flower that smells good but may kill you if inhaled too much, but from afar it smells like classiness, innocence and fragility. I would imagine a married mother that likes to keep her house tidy, the curtains ironed and her appearance modest but elegant smells like this.
This will definitely be my go to perfume from now on, because when I used to get small bottles of expensive perfumes I used to wear them very sparingly (irrationally so), carefully not to waste them. This is an incredibly nice perfume for the price and quantity.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

One of my favorite perfumes. It's powdery, sweet and has tinges of wood. The sweetness stems from a wonderful combination of flowers and fruits. I also smell a hint of vanilla.

It makes me kind of sad to see that this is considered an old lady scent. I'm 23 and it smells surprisingly sweet on me. I have some other powdery perfumes as well, but Vanderbilt is the least powdery of them all. I think that's because of the fruit and floral combination that works sweetening and uplifting. I love it, it's classy, feminine, elegant and reminds me of vintage black and white Hollywood.

This scent is really diverse too. It works as a both a daytime and night time scent. I personally prefer to wear it on cooler, sometimes windy days. I don't think it works very well for hot summer days, but then again I don't really like any powdery perfume for a hot day.

I would definitely recommend this!

old lady-ish but to me after a few hours it turns into this nice, warm soft fragrance. Also my Boyfriend gave it the me for my first bday that we spent together :-)

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I'm not an old lady, nor elderly but late 50's. This was my first fragrance I bought when I had a good job back in the 80's when it first came out. Everybody in the office then was wearing Ralph Lauren's Lauren. And an occasional Obsession. We were wearing the strong perfumes back then. All the guys in the office were more drawn in on my side in the cubicle, lol. I just bought a huge bottle of the EDT in my local Wal-Mart for 20 dollars! And I put it on today ( squirted on my wrists) and it is still there later, just a faint whiff which means that while it fades during the day, I can still smell traces of it on my just washed hands. A little goes a long way, ladies!

My grandmother loves this.... I hate it. Its another one of those strong old women scents tbat are outdated. Only people wearing these thpes of fragrances are elderly people. Too strong and powdery.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

This has a similar feel to White Diamonds. But of course... they were both composed by Sophia Grojsman. While WD is a Floral Aldehyde that dries down to 'meh' bitter powder on me, Vanderbilt is a sparkling Floral Oriental with a sweet, powdery base. I especially love the pineapple in this (don't be scared off by the civet listed in the notes below... I detect NONE whatsoever in the current formulation). Many reviews here & over at Fragrantica have compared Vanderbilt to Oscar... I have yet to test the latter, but Oscar fans might want to check this one out. I also have to commend the quality of the spraying mechanism -- the nozzle never fails to squirt out an even, fine mist of perfume, unlike many expensive fragrances with crappy atomisers that either squirt out too much or too little.

The notes from Fragrantica:

Top: Aldehydes, Bergamot, Green Notes, Neroli, Pineapple
Heart: Jasmine, Orange Blossom, Rose, Tuberose, Ylang-ylang
Base: Cinnamon, Civet, Musk, Opoponax, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is a big, beautiful floral that smells expensive but costs very little, the definition of affordable luxury. Others have already mentioned that this is one of the creations of famed nose Sophia Grojsman, so if you enjoy her style (YSL Paris, Lancome Tresor, Estee Lauder White Linen, etc.) this is definitely a must-try. Heck, if you like fragrance this is a must-try.

There's a reason Vanderbilt is still so widely available in Europe and the States: it smells beautiful, projects just the right amount if worn considerately (it is quite potent so don't douse), and lasts all day (even on my infamously fragrance- eating skin.)

I have deducted one lippie simply because I find the opening a tad too aldehydic/sharp and GREEN; however this phase soon gives way to the development of a rich, well- blended, seamless floral. The dry down is somewhat honeyed/vanillic on me and not too powdery.

I think this is the rare kind of fragrance that works during the day and for evening occasions, both formal and informal settings. I'll be honest here--I have smelled current designer fragrances I liked less, even from the luxury sector.

While I think that Vanderbilt might not appeal to very young girls still attracted to current and hip marketing (CK In2U, anyone??), I think Vanderbilt would appeal to women anywhere from their 20's to their 90's simply interested in smelling lovely, feminine, and classy.

I bought a 100 ml bottle here in Germany for 9,95 EUR and consider it the perfume score of the year where bang for my buck is concerned.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I got given this as a gift one year for my birthday. Its very "Old Lady" ish but, to me its very nice and great for all year round.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I remember buying this years ago because it was cheap, but not disappointing. I loved it and used to wear it all the time. I'm not sure if it's for me now but it was perfect for me in the summer of 95. It's light, fresh, flowery and unique ... and it would last on me forever. Not one that would generate a lot of compliments from men ... strangely women seemed more drawn to this who would always say it smelled really good :-)

Popular Fragrances