Vanderbilt

4.1

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

One of my favorite perfumes. It's powdery, sweet and has tinges of wood. The sweetness stems from a wonderful combination of flowers and fruits. I also smell a hint of vanilla.

It makes me kind of sad to see that this is considered an old lady scent. I'm 23 and it smells surprisingly sweet on me. I have some other powdery perfumes as well, but Vanderbilt is the least powdery of them all. I think that's because of the fruit and floral combination that works sweetening and uplifting. I love it, it's classy, feminine, elegant and reminds me of vintage black and white Hollywood.

This scent is really diverse too. It works as a both a daytime and night time scent. I personally prefer to wear it on cooler, sometimes windy days. I don't think it works very well for hot summer days, but then again I don't really like any powdery perfume for a hot day.

I would definitely recommend this!

on 12/17/2013 4:38:00 PM

old lady-ish but to me after a few hours it turns into this nice, warm soft fragrance. Also my Boyfriend gave it the me for my first bday that we spent together :-)

on 4/10/2013 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I'm not an old lady, nor elderly but late 50's. This was my first fragrance I bought when I had a good job back in the 80's when it first came out. Everybody in the office then was wearing Ralph Lauren's Lauren. And an occasional Obsession. We were wearing the strong perfumes back then. All the guys in the office were more drawn in on my side in the cubicle, lol. I just bought a huge bottle of the EDT in my local Wal-Mart for 20 dollars! And I put it on today ( squirted on my wrists) and it is still there later, just a faint whiff which means that while it fades during the day, I can still smell traces of it on my just washed hands. A little goes a long way, ladies!

on 4/7/2013 1:25:00 PM

My grandmother loves this.... I hate it. Its another one of those strong old women scents tbat are outdated. Only people wearing these thpes of fragrances are elderly people. Too strong and powdery.

on 3/25/2013 10:34:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

This has a similar feel to White Diamonds. But of course... they were both composed by Sophia Grojsman. While WD is a Floral Aldehyde that dries down to 'meh' bitter powder on me, Vanderbilt is a sparkling Floral Oriental with a sweet, powdery base. I especially love the pineapple in this (don't be scared off by the civet listed in the notes below... I detect NONE whatsoever in the current formulation). Many reviews here & over at Fragrantica have compared Vanderbilt to Oscar... I have yet to test the latter, but Oscar fans might want to check this one out. I also have to commend the quality of the spraying mechanism -- the nozzle never fails to squirt out an even, fine mist of perfume, unlike many expensive fragrances with crappy atomisers that either squirt out too much or too little.

The notes from Fragrantica:

Top: Aldehydes, Bergamot, Green Notes, Neroli, Pineapple
Heart: Jasmine, Orange Blossom, Rose, Tuberose, Ylang-ylang
Base: Cinnamon, Civet, Musk, Opoponax, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Vanilla

on 1/20/2013 11:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is a big, beautiful floral that smells expensive but costs very little, the definition of affordable luxury. Others have already mentioned that this is one of the creations of famed nose Sophia Grojsman, so if you enjoy her style (YSL Paris, Lancome Tresor, Estee Lauder White Linen, etc.) this is definitely a must-try. Heck, if you like fragrance this is a must-try.

There's a reason Vanderbilt is still so widely available in Europe and the States: it smells beautiful, projects just the right amount if worn considerately (it is quite potent so don't douse), and lasts all day (even on my infamously fragrance- eating skin.)

I have deducted one lippie simply because I find the opening a tad too aldehydic/sharp and GREEN; however this phase soon gives way to the development of a rich, well- blended, seamless floral. The dry down is somewhat honeyed/vanillic on me and not too powdery.

I think this is the rare kind of fragrance that works during the day and for evening occasions, both formal and informal settings. I'll be honest here--I have smelled current designer fragrances I liked less, even from the luxury sector.

While I think that Vanderbilt might not appeal to very young girls still attracted to current and hip marketing (CK In2U, anyone??), I think Vanderbilt would appeal to women anywhere from their 20's to their 90's simply interested in smelling lovely, feminine, and classy.

I bought a 100 ml bottle here in Germany for 9,95 EUR and consider it the perfume score of the year where bang for my buck is concerned.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I got given this as a gift one year for my birthday. Its very "Old Lady" ish but, to me its very nice and great for all year round.

on 10/22/2012 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I remember buying this years ago because it was cheap, but not disappointing. I loved it and used to wear it all the time. I'm not sure if it's for me now but it was perfect for me in the summer of 95. It's light, fresh, flowery and unique ... and it would last on me forever. Not one that would generate a lot of compliments from men ... strangely women seemed more drawn to this who would always say it smelled really good :-)

Reminds me of sixth grade. I used to cover myself in this. I feel bad for it now. This was way before I learned about proper perfume application. I remember it having a sweet smell. Wasn't bad but not something I would wear now. Nostalgia in a bottle.

on 6/1/2011 8:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I agree that this fragrance is a feminine one--not sporty, not androgynous, not too light. I actually don't want to wear it every day. As with other fragrances that I wear, I like Vanderbilt once in a while. To me, Vanderbilt is a very romantic fragrance, and a very rich one. I think the richness of it is what appeals to me. The floral notes really linger, and I can detect vanilla notes. I think the swan is a brilliant marketing strategy. I admit I greatly admire the grace of the swan. Vanderbilt really intrigues me. I almost have to wear it whether I want to or not.

Popular Fragrances