Denman Grooming Brush

on 4/4/2015 3:24:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Brilliant grooming brush, excellent for back combing too. Not so great at detangling, but it is a grooming brush after all. I have the large and small handbag size. Compared to my Mason Pearson it almost performs as well, but doesn't have that luxurious feel. It is quite bulky & isn't heat resistant.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My hair is fine and breaks easily so brushing with this keeps it from breaking off as much. Definitely recommended for anyone with hair that breaks easily!

on 3/14/2014 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I have about 6,000 of these (exaggeration slightly!) I use them to smooth back my hair, and my mum and I have nicknamed it "The Brush-Back Brush!" I get paranoid if I can't find it in the mornings! It is perfect for my frizzy mixed race hair. I use it frequently with a few squirts of ELVIVE EXTRAORDINARY OIL by L'Oréal. Definatly buy it. I also like to use the other denman brushes for when I do a FULL hair wash.

on 9/2/2013 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I just really love Denman brushes. Also have a styling brush, which I've been using for 10 years now, so when I was in the UK a few weeks ago I decided to buy a grooming brush as well. I have a boar & nylon mixed brush inMedium (D81M), which is perfect for me as I have very long & thick hair. It smoothes my hair, it redistributes the natural oils to the ends, it even keeps me from having to wash my hair for an extra day or so. It's just love, love, LOVE!!!
EDIT: I have bought an extra, the small one (D81S) for in my bag. That's how much I love it!

on 8/30/2013 12:13:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I love my Denman brush. I have the large, natural bristle brush.

I purchased the brush in 2000, so it's 13 years old and only just starting to show any wear and tear. Some of the rubber cushion pad holding the bristles are started to perish, and some of the bristles are coming loose. But after 13 years of brushing hair it's done pretty well.

I like how the brush feels on my scalp, and how it's quite gentle on my hair.

I wash my brush with warm water, an old toothbrush and some shampoo. It's possibly not the best way to clean it, but it's been fine so far.

If I lost this brush I would certainly get another, especially since the price of Denman brushes has come down over the years. When I bought my brush it was $70NZD. Rather expensive really, but they are much cheaper now.

on 8/29/2013 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love this brush! I own the small sized brush so that I can keep it in my purse if I need it. It helps lay down some of the baby hairs I have around my hair line and feels great against my scalp. It helps distribute natural oils through my hair and doesn't snag. It can also be used to detangle or distribute light leave-ins. It is a sturdy brush and with proper care, can last a long time. I spent about 16.99 plus taxes on mine at a local beauty supply but I am sure you can find it a little bit cheaper in other places like Sally's. The bigger brush is a couple of bucks more. Highly recommended.

on 8/23/2013 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

I was first introduced to quality brushes with the Mason Pearson years ago which I have always loved. while looking for a less expensive alternative, I found the Denman brand, also produced in England. Years later, I own nearly all of them and there is nothing like it. They are inexpensive (under $20), last a VERY long time, and make such a difference in protecting your hair and promoting shine, softness, and detangling. Wonderful scalp reach, detangling without breakage, softness/shine. My favorite combs are stlll Cricket and the Conair Shower Detangler though. :)

EDIT...Update :
Denman D81 Grooming brush Review :
I absolutely loved this brush. Brushing my hair isnt a painful task anymore !!! yayy ! I've been using plastic hair brush my entire life so you can imgaine how this has taken me by surprise.

Also this made my hair a lot more healthy, less frizzy over the days. It distributes natural oils of the hair root to tip - so my hair looks a lot more healthy

This is a mixed nylon-boar bristle brush. The nylon bristle helps penetrate the hair, while the boar bristles tame my hair. I am told this is the best brush if you have thick, coarse hair. Boar bristles alone cant penetrate well if you have thick hair.

It is great for heat styling. I kinda run my little test- One side I blowdryed using my nylon bristle round brush and the opposite side I blow dryed using denman brush.

On the side I used nylon bristle one - good volume, a bit frizzy, a bit coarser to touch. Looked dry too.

On the side I used my denman - no volume (not a round brush,so), smooth to touch and super sleek !!

I am falling in love with all of these brushes :D
I own one denman and I put an order for other one , I wanted to review both of these at once but I cant contain my excitement lol. I am soo impressed by the one I used so far.

The denman grooming brush that I used was :

Denman D91 Dressing Out Brush :
I am looking for a good quality teasing brush and we dont have sallys beauty supply in India so I was looking for boar bristle teasing brush. When I found this at local store it seemed identical- it essentially had the same design - three rows but 'Nylon' bristles. I couldn't seemed find a boar bristle brush so I ended up getting this. Plus it looked pretty in the purple color. So i got this for $4.99.

For Teasing - excellent,period. I mean I used to tease with my ordinary rat tail comb and I lose volume after 1 hour but with this one , the volume stayed out the entire evening.

For Taming Baby hair and flyaways - This part of it just blew me away. I have a lot of baby hairs - a lot of them really. I used the hairspray + toothbrush thing but that just felt icky and my scalp became oily very soon :(
This brush is awesome for taming the flyaways. I didnt even need hairspray. I just smooth out my baby hairs with this brush and they stay put. Without hairspray, it helps taming my baby hair for like a couple of hours. I think it would probably hold much longer if I used a hair spray.

I am so impressed with the quality that I ordered another brush from the same lime . Denman D81. I'll post a review as soon as it arrives.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

WOW! My first experience with a boar bristle brush and I am not looking back!!!!!!!! :) $20 seemed like a lot but it was the best purchase ever! Can't believe I wasted so many years tearing my hair out!!!!

on 10/7/2012 9:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I bought the Denman with 100% natural boar's bristle. I love this brush. It makes my hair so soft and shiny. It feels great on my scalp and brings the natural oils to the ends of my hair. I have a round 100% boar's bristle for styling, and these brushes have made such a difference that I won't use anything else.

My hair is long, fine, thick & wavy. I understand it doesn't work as well for coarse hair.

Popular Hair Styling Tools