September 3, 2014 | 1039 users online

Foundations - Max Factor - Pan-Cake [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 2 of 5 on 8/27/2013 8:17:00 AM More reviews by Tahlia91

Doesn't do nothing at all. Makes skin look chalky

rated 3 of 5 on 5/14/2013 8:22:00 AM More reviews by EmiriamdD

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm not a devoted fan of Max Factor Pan Cake foundation but I wanted to point out to those who are that it's still available at drugstore.com in two shades: Tan (#109) and Amber Rose (#105). I feel for you, Pan Cake lovers!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 8:14:00 AM More reviews by corrette

First of all I must say that I wanted to try this product after hearing that it is discontinued. Well, I always wanting to try it, but this kind of things gives you the final push to do it...
    And after using it I must say that I am AMAZED!!!!. I really didn't expect at all such result, but it's true that is not an easy foundation to deal with... but if it works with your skin type and, above all, your colour, then you have found a stunning product.
    Applying it was not that complicated as many girls says, in fact it was reasonable easy... maybe I'm much skilled for applying make up as I thought, but I found it very easy. Just with a damped sponge, using very shortly strokes, working the texture well and that was all. Even did not take too much time, and all these things makes my surprise huger after reading all those things 'bout how complicated to use is or how long does it takes to apply it. As I've written I'm maybe much more skilled applying make up as I thought. :-)
    After doing it I felt the skin kind of dry, not comfortable. But when my skin started to produce its own oils, then the sensation changed completely and I felt the skin comfortable.
    Many people have written that, in close ups the make up is very obvious, others says that you can see it even from 5 meters!!!, Well, I looked VERY close and I don't see it at all, I asked a couple of friends and they said they didn't see any make up, just the gorgeous effect of it. I must say that the colour matches my skin perfectly, so that probably will help...
    And now comes the most amazing thing for me: my skin is combination, so as you can imagine, when I use foundation, after a couple of hours the shine "visits me". Double Wear and Colourstay have been the best foundation I've ever try to deal with this problem. The great but natural covering power that they have makes them even better. But even with those foundations I ended having a shiny T-Zone. It's not a problem, it happens and it's quite okay, but the later that the shine appears the better for me... with those foundations it takes around 4 hours. But with Pan cake, after 8 hours, I mean 8, I still didn't have ANY shine at all, literally nothing at all.
    My skin was still matt, the texture of the skin totally improved, it looks way much better than with other foundations. The covering power is great too, very easy to build from translucent to total cover ( I apply it on the hole of the face very translucently and then a second time on targeted areas that may need more covering).
    So I really don't know why it seems to be so bad for other girls, I find it simply gorgeous. I was so amazed by it, that after one day using it, seeing how it developed on my skin and asking friends how they find it, I saw that the Ebay seller listed again two more of them and I bought them immediately!!
    Is a very classic product, with a great formula that survived decades, and I think is a pitty that it discontinued...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2010 12:34:00 PM More reviews by misscurlylocks

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Great coverage works older skins. It had come in this stick like packagine for years nd has a unique scent that is very old fashioned just thinking of it makes me heady I really cant bare the smell and it makes me dislike this product. Just who still buys and wear this the formula has been around for ages. This is super creamy and oily at the same time and the colour range is vrey limited and for organey skins not tanned or light skins becausde they all seem to have an orange hue. I love the packaing and the idea of a foundation stick but really this will be used up to conceal the odd spot but it will ned to be mixed with another founation to get the right colour and then topped with powder. This is so oily it melts in heat I really couldnt detest a foundation more. Perhaps it doesnt suit my dry skin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2010 9:47:00 AM More reviews by TheReviewLady

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

You know those people that test a product and claim that it gave them a pimple THE VERY SAME DAY on the EXACT SPOT the make-up (I mean, Pan-Cake) was applied? I'm one of them.

Also, this isn't cheap in Australian pharmacies. A cake will sell for around $20AUD.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2010 3:34:00 AM More reviews by BBrazilian

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I just keep coming back to this foundation. There is no comparison to the finish you get with this and I can see why it was used in the movie industry for so many years. I do not need a separate concealer when I use this as it does the job perfectly. I use a sea sponge to apply it. I use the sea sponge quite moist, not dripping wet, but so that it holds some water. I do not wet the pancake first, I rub the sponge around the makeup and then rub and pat it on my face and eye area. You do not have to work quickly because you can blend it easily with your damp sponge. When I have applied enough product, I rinse my sponge so that it is just moist. I then blend the foundation until it looks smooth. The finish is absolutely flawless and amazing. They used to suggest only using a sea sponge with this product, but I don't know if that is still the case. I have tried other sponges and they just don't do the same job IMO. Another important thing to remember with pancake is not to apply moisturiser or primer underneath as it will competely ruin the effect. You must make sure that you evening routine is the important one. People have said that this is a hard product to work with. I find it really easy to apply and very hard to make mistakes with.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2010 6:55:00 AM More reviews by lauren5millar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this is a tough one to review, i am very very pale skinned and was very pleased to find the pan cake that i had bought was a perfect match for my face. i had been expecting the same kind of coverage as max factors pan stick, but its a much much much lighter coverage. i am a sucker for all things old hollywood so that was my main reason for buying this product. i wasnt overally impressed though as i think its hard to get it right on your face, you can end up looking really caked in pale flaky makeup, but maybe i wasnt applying right! i would probably buy again out of curiosity to see if i could get it right, but i wouldnt use it as my favourite foundation.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2010 12:33:00 AM More reviews by botitas1977

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I remember this!!! Awwww. So first of all you get a lot of product for your buck. If you can find a shade that fits you really good then youve scored with the DS foudation. I would suggest this to anyone with already good skin that wants to even out the color or wants a really made up look, like the old movie stars. Hence its over 40 something years old. If you have not so perfect skin, stay away from this because it WILL give you cake face and enhance everything thats wrong with your skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2010 12:25:00 AM More reviews by Neopatra

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I went looking for an official website for Max Factor, and ended up on Cover Girl, where they were shilling their liquid foundation as a "substitute" for PanCake.

Pffffft!

I emailed them and said NOTHING was a good enough substitute for PanCake and that I would be boycotting Cover Girl until they brought Max Factor back.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2010 4:51:00 AM More reviews by rezdechausee

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Green

devastated that this is being discontinued as there is nothing else quite like it. Gives you total control over the exact amount of coverage. Beautiful matte finish I've never been able to get with any other foundation with the possible exception of air brushing.

Pan-Cake was developed by Max Factor himself for use under the hot lights used in film production. It has not been improved upon since, nor does it need to be.

Have used this faithfully for 40 years (yes really) and will be buying up all I can get my hands on. When that's gone, I will have one major panic attack, and will face the awful prospect of sorting through the various foundations that are out there now and settling for less than perfect.

Thank God I'm 59 when this happened and not quite as obsessed with my looks; if they'd discontinued it when I was 25 it would've killed me. [update: all Max Factor was pulled from WalMart here in late February...and the price for a Pan-Cake on Ebay has skyrocketed.]