September 21, 2014 | 2091 users online

Lipstick - Maybelline - Superstay Jewels

rated 5.0(1 review)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2006 10:28:00 AM More reviews by lareine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Maybelline Superstay Jewels is the newest addition to their Superstay line of 16-hour lipsticks. Jewels comes in four sparkly shades: Dark Amber, Pink Amythest, Rose Quartz, and Fire Garnet. I have it in Dark Amber, which is a bronzy colour in the tube, but comes out a rather nude shade on my lips.

The Superstay lipsticks come in a cardboard packet containing a tube of liquid lip colour with a foam applicator wand, and a separate tube of solid clear gloss. The colour is easy enough to apply with the wand, although the foam doesn't make it easy to do precision edges. After applying to clean lips, leave to dry for a couple of minutes, until it is no longer tacky. That's the base colour done, and this is the part which Maybelline claims will last 16 hours. After that, just apply the clear gloss as and when you feel the urge. You can buy extra tubes of gloss separately, so don't worry about having to ditch the whole thing just because the gloss has run out.

I'm not sure whether I like Dark Amber or not. It is much nuder than I expected, and doesn't really show up on my lips, but it does have a nice metallic sheen to it, even without the gloss on top. But it's certainly not as sparkly as the Maybelline adverts would lead you to believe. Maybe one of the other shades would be more jewel-like, I don't know.

Lasting power is great. I haven't put it to the full 16 hour test (yet!) but so long as you steer clear of greasy foods, this should certainly last all day. It doesn't flake off lips like some other long-lasting lipsticks, either. I would buy again, but probably not in the same shade. continued >>