October 21, 2014 | 1251 users online

Mascara - Chanel - Mascara Base

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2014 10:38:00 PM More reviews by Shelly2015

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really have to thank this Chanel Beauté Des Cils for making my pathetic puny lashes into va va voooom lashes!! I was weary trying this, but was convinced by the Chanel beauty consultant that this was an excellent product coupled with Chanel Inimitable Volume Length & Curl Mascara. I had, for years, convinced myself that I didn't have to pay high prices for mascara, and that the chemist versions, for example...Maybelline's massive range of Mascaras (Le Grand Curl, being one of them-before they discontinued it!) and other mascaras would do the same as any "top notch" brand could. I realised one day that the best I could get from the chemist range would mean I was applying it over 30 times per eye just to get a reasonable result. This was insane ....and time consuming! I had a sample of a Chanel mascara and thought ok let's give this a whirl. OMG literally 2 sweeps of the brush and my lashes looked amazing! So this spurred me on to get down to Chanel and see what they had to offer. (The sample I had wasn't waterproof, and I have really runny eyes so its imperative that my mascaras are at least water resistant) After using the Chanel Beauté Des Cils for over 6 months now as a base coat underneath a few different Mascaras (Chanel & Dior) I have really noticed how long my lashes have become! I'm not sure if the product is supposed to do this but the length has really improved that even without mascara they look long!! Yes it's expensive but it lasts a good while. I've bought 2 in 6 months. And for the results it's worth it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2013 3:54:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

Not sure why the Chanel mascara base is not so popular on MUA... I decided on a whim to purchase it when I got a new tube of the Inimitable Intense mascara, and I really like it.

About my lashes: Thin, short, straight, puny. I don't have much going for them, so I am always on the hunt for a good mascara.

About this base: It comes in a similar tube to Inimitable/Inimitable Intense, and the brush is similar (plastic bristles.) It goes on white, but dries clear.

I've been using it for about a week, and noticed that my lashes feel much softer at night after I remove my makeup, so I decided last night to apply it before bed, too. (I'm always wary to do this, because the Dior primer says you should/can apply before bed, too, but it flaked into my eyes.) I woke up without any eye irritation, and my lashes felt so soft.

For those of you who are complaining about this base taking the curl away... make sure you coat both the top and the bottom of your lashes. I usually close my eyes first and coat the backs of the lashes, then open my eyes and coat the fronts. Doing this seems to really help with the curl.

Also, this is not like those traditional fiber extending mascara bases. it does add a bit of length, but I think the main purpose is to nourish the lashes and help keep the mascara on the lashes. Just keep that in mind when trying.

Overall, very pleased with this mascara base, and will definitely repurchase. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2013 2:11:00 PM More reviews by Beauty4Ashes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I typically don't use lash primers. However, I was so impressed with Chanel's Inimitable Intense mascara, I decided to buy the lash primer to see if it would make the look even better. Unfortunately, it really didn't do enough to warrant the price. It helps the mascara glide on more easily and keeps it from flaking, but I don't notice an increase in length or volume when using the base. Overall, it's not something that I'll buy in the future. From my experience, Dior's got the best mascara base on the market, but even that isn't worth its high price tag. Not a product I recommend.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2012 11:21:00 PM More reviews by tabbycam

I'm currently on my second tube of this (suffice to say, I love it.)

My initial reaction was merely one of "Oh, is it all?" because I was trying out a new mascara simultaneously and didn't really notice that much of a difference. I used it for a week or so and then decided to just give it a rest and put mascara straight on my eyelashes. I could tell SUCH a difference! My lashes looked much thinner and the mascara didn't seem to go on as smoothly. Needless to say, I kept up with this mascara base from then onwards.

One side effect that I've been noticing, and this is actually both a blessing and a curse really, is I am very aware that since I've started using this, I've been growing eyelashes like crazy! As in, even in places where I feel like I've never grown them before (like right above and right below my normal lash line.) These lashes are long and think, but they grow in layers and I've had one or two that seem to grow in kind of a wonky direction.

Judging from the rest of the responses I may be overly sensitive to their growth formula or I'm just using it more often (I never use mascara without this, and I have use it overnight several times.) Either way, being such a fan of big lashes, I'm loving this stuff. The big big big downside of my life? Having thick, layered lashes that are totally blonde!! I feel like I never get every single one of them coated with mascara. Anyway, that end part was just my little rant. I do think this is a fabulous product! I took off one lippie just because I've never tried any others, but given the success of this one, I don't think I will be.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/20/2012 5:16:00 PM More reviews by YuuuS2

Pretty expensive for a mascara base that completely kills the curl. I initially went to the store to check out Lancome mascara bases, but was dragged to the Chanel counter, and guess what.. I will probably never try Chanel mascaras either.

My application: curl lash, apply base.. wait for 5 minutes until it dries, curl again (base comes off), repeat...

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2010 10:53:00 AM More reviews by GabrielleCoCo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is one of my favourites both as a a lengthening base, volume up the lashes as well as using it at night time as a treatment serum. Yes! You can use this at night on its own, it contains Vitamin B5 to build up and strengthen lashes. I felt this weights down my lashes. Thus i need to use Fix mascara to "fix" the curl on my lashes before i plump and lengthen with this precious find. It is white color, thus need to be careful to cover up with mascara to prevent the base from peeking out.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2009 9:42:00 PM More reviews by TwoBostons

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

So, I ended up with this product by accident. I asked the S.A. for the eyeshadow base and ended up with this--too lazy to take it back! I have never used a lash base before, so my opinion is solely based on this product. It does help to lengthen and thicken, and helps find the lashes on my lower lid--which for the most part are nonexistent. So it's good there, and I will use up all the product I have. However, it also immediately uncurls the results of my lash curler! It literally re-straightens my lashes (which point downward), so I have to re-curl. I will try another mascara base, probably Lancome, but will not repurchase this one.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2009 2:11:00 AM More reviews by miranets

Awful. I have straight fine lashes, short and point downwards. This stuff could at least hold a curl if not anything else, it kills my curl completely, which defeats my entire need of a base. Yes it does help keep mascaras in place, but it does not help create any length or volume at all. The brush is a traditional spiral wand which I don't like as it clumps my lashes easily. Perhaps if you already have nice lashes and just need something to hold mascara in place, this may do it.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/13/2008 5:46:00 PM More reviews by littosnack

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This mascara base is very bad. Shiseido is so much better!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2008 11:58:00 AM More reviews by ChrisRobb

I love love love this stuff. It will prime your lashes so that your mascara will stay all day without smudging, it is very thin going on so your lashes do not stick together or appear too thick. I have tried Lancome's& Estee's mascara primers and to me they are very thick and sticky. HG material for me. I tried using a mascara that I was going to throw away because it gave me raccoon eyes and this primer actually made the mascara work beautifully.