Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Volume Conditioner

on 1/13/2012 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

Alterna won me over with their absurdly expensive 'Ten' conditioner after I purchased it from a sample sale site. Though it was the best conditioner I've ever used, I found myself philosophically unable to to pay the full price ($60/6.7 oz, as of 1/12). So I went looking for cheaper Alterna conditioner. Lately my hair's been doing this totally awesome thinning-and-crazy-shedding thing, so it seemed logical to pick this "anti-aging" formula. Yeah, hair's already dead. So? It doesn't need to look dead AND old. Jeez.

A couple of initial roadblocks: the stuff smells incredibly bad. Incredibad, even. Like Coty cologne marketed toward 15 year-old boys with bleached tips. In the 80s. It is just gross. I could go on but hopefully you understand. Also, the packaging? Whoever's in charge of merchandising for Alterna must harbor secret fantasies of becoming an industrial designer, because their bottles are consistently and ludicrously overdesigned.

As to whether it works: Ehh... it works okay. It hasn't stopped my shedding, or turned my age-stricken locks back into fine, downy baby hair. In fact, the only notable effect of this product was an ungodly amount of static as the weather turned cold and dry. Volumizing products tend to increase static, because of the chemicals they employ to separate and lift all those limp strands you've got. But this stuff is next-level; once my hair dried, I could not pass a boar's hair brush through my hair A SINGLE TIME without the entire section sticking to the brush, to my hand, to my face, my clothes, or up in the air. I'd get maybe one clean pass if I spritzed it with water, then back to static. This might sound like a minor quibble if it's never happened to you, but it is infuriating. Especially if you're a totally calm normal person like me who constantly touches her hair out of nervous habit. (Though if you'd like to break that habit, by all means, buy this conditioner.)

Long story short: I'm sorry I bought this instead of robbing a bank so I could just repurchase the Ten conditioner. There are tons of cheaper and more effective 'rejuvenating' conditioners out there, and the anti-aging claim is a load of doo. Your hair is dead. Mourn it and move on, to a conditioner that contains biotin. Jason and Avalon Organics both make biotin conditioners that are highly rated by MUAers (4+ lippies, 20+ reviews). Don't waste your money on this garbage.

Magically, Alterna neglected to include biotin, a B vitamin intimately linked to hair growth, in its anti-aging formula. Go figure.

on 4/27/2011 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

This product is very nice. I used both the shampoo and conditioner and it made my hair feel almost velvety after washing. I love the softness and the smell is nice, but not too different than most other products out on the market.

I only gave it 4 lippies because I have slightly frizzy hair (I'm italian) and it didn't tame the frizz at all. I imagine if I had straight hair I would LOVE this product.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've been using Alterna Caviar for years off and on. I love this stuff. It makes my hair feel so soft and shiny. A little goes a long way. It's worth the price.

on 1/21/2011 8:08:00 AM

It is a really good conditioner with a pleasant synthetic smell. It gets my hair fuller and shiny, hair looks great, no complain there. However, the price and the packaging will not allow me to repurchase. The Alterna bottles are the most weird.

on 1/16/2011 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I really like this Conditioner and the shampoo. I got the Travel pack of anti-aging products from Ulta and I have to say, I like the whole line. Typically I have to use some kind of leave-in treatment after washing and conditioning. My hair is colored and I've been going grey since I was 17, so needless to say, my hair is damaged, porous and dry most of the time. This conditioner leaves my hair soft and bouncy, I didn't even have to put a leave in treatment (I typically use Phyto 9). I'm impressed enough that I plan on picking up the Fullsized bottles of this next week and keep the travel pack for my boyfriend's house.

Superior product that is worth the cost!

on 12/21/2010 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I purchased this shampoo while Sephora was having a 20% F&F discount. I'm glad I did as this conditioner really adds shine and volume to my hair. My hair feels really soft and manageable.

on 10/15/2010 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I love this! I have fine, long, light beige-blonde hair that I dye about every 5-6 weeks. Purple shampoos, purple conditioners dry out my hair and deep treatments can weigh it down. This makes my hair feel and look amazing. I don't use this every day, and sometimes I add a few drops of UnRed to it to enhance the cool tones in my hair. This is my "going out" conditioner as it gives me so much body and my long hair looks absolutely fantastic! It's expensive but worth it. I will buy this one again!

on 9/9/2009 7:43:00 PM

The best volumizing conditioner I've used without weighing my hair down. It's expensive but worth the prize because not much works with my hair. Even without additional styling products, my frizz is kept at bay. It really does volumize, my hair looks "bigger" and more puffy after I blowdry it. Hair looks and feels healthier as well. Alterna tends to be expensive, but it rarely disappoints. I sometimes alternate this with the hemp straight line, which is good but not as good as the caviar.

on 1/27/2009 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have color treated long hair and I spend tons of time making sure it's healthy so can keep it that way. I found the alterna line years ago and fell in love but this is my all time fav. It's a little pricey but a little goes a long way. I use it daily in conjunction with nutrigena hair mask once a week. My hair is without a doubt in the best condition it's ever been in. I'm on my 3rd bottle of this and it will continue t be a staple for my hair products.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have baby fine dark blonde highlighted hair. I was hoping that this would condition my ends without weighing down my fine hair. I only apply this to the ends of my hair and I make sure to rinse very well. My hair is left greasy and flat yet in tangles. On a good note-my color has done well but it's not worth the flat greasy lifeless hair I'm left with. Not worth the huge price. I will be on the look out for something better.

Top Rated Alterna Products