November 23, 2014 | 2032 users online

Conditioner - Alterna - Caviar Anti-Aging Volume Conditioner

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2012 6:42:00 PM More reviews by songy67

I've been using this shampoo & conditioner for over a year now, ever since I picked up a few samples on eBay and fell in love. I went ahead and got the jumbo bottles on HauteLook during an event. It's not cheap, so I switch between this and my Dove Daily Moisturizing shampoo & conditioner. This is a fairly effective volumizing duo and it doesn't cause build-up or weigh hair down. A little bit of the shampoo goes a long way and lathers into a very luxurious-feeling foam. The conditioner instantly detangles my hair in the shower, allowing me to comb through it even while its wet. I will say that I'm not a fan of the scent of this stuff. It smells like synthetic figs, but thankfully it isn't strongly fragranced and it doesn't linger. However, I actually prefer products that leave my hair with a long-lasting clean, pleasant scent (i.e. Dove). This gives my hair great bounce and shine. However, since it's expensive and because there are other volumizing products out there and I don't particularly enjoy the scent of this I might not repurchase it... but don't quote me on that.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/13/2012 11:55:00 PM More reviews by duckfeather

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Alterna won me over with their absurdly expensive 'Ten' conditioner after I purchased it from a sample sale site. Though it was the best conditioner I've ever used, I found myself philosophically unable to to pay the full price ($60/6.7 oz, as of 1/12). So I went looking for cheaper Alterna conditioner. Lately my hair's been doing this totally awesome thinning-and-crazy-shedding thing, so it seemed logical to pick this "anti-aging" formula. Yeah, hair's already dead. So? It doesn't need to look dead AND old. Jeez.

A couple of initial roadblocks: the stuff smells incredibly bad. Incredibad, even. Like Coty cologne marketed toward 15 year-old boys with bleached tips. In the 80s. It is just gross. I could go on but hopefully you understand. Also, the packaging? Whoever's in charge of merchandising for Alterna must harbor secret fantasies of becoming an industrial designer, because their bottles are consistently and ludicrously overdesigned.

As to whether it works: Ehh... it works okay. It hasn't stopped my shedding, or turned my age-stricken locks back into fine, downy baby hair. In fact, the only notable effect of this product was an ungodly amount of static as the weather turned cold and dry. Volumizing products tend to increase static, because of the chemicals they employ to separate and lift all those limp strands you've got. But this stuff is next-level; once my hair dried, I could not pass a boar's hair brush through my hair A SINGLE TIME without the entire section sticking to the brush, to my hand, to my face, my clothes, or up in the air. I'd get maybe one clean pass if I spritzed it with water, then back to static. This might sound like a minor quibble if it's never happened to you, but it is infuriating. Especially if you're a totally calm normal person like me who constantly touches her hair out of nervous habit. (Though if you'd like to break that habit, by all means, buy this conditioner.)

Long story short: I'm sorry I bought this instead of robbing a bank so I could just repurchase the Ten conditioner. There are tons of cheaper and more effective 'rejuvenating' conditioners out there, and the anti-aging claim is a load of doo. Your hair is dead. Mourn it and move on, to a conditioner that contains biotin. Jason and Avalon Organics both make biotin conditioners that are highly rated by MUAers (4+ lippies, 20+ reviews). Don't waste your money on this garbage.

Magically, Alterna neglected to include biotin, a B vitamin intimately linked to hair growth, in its anti-aging formula. Go figure.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2011 1:34:00 PM More reviews by toryt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is very nice. I used both the shampoo and conditioner and it made my hair feel almost velvety after washing. I love the softness and the smell is nice, but not too different than most other products out on the market.

I only gave it 4 lippies because I have slightly frizzy hair (I'm italian) and it didn't tame the frizz at all. I imagine if I had straight hair I would LOVE this product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2011 7:51:00 PM More reviews by lusciouspreciousluv

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I've been using Alterna Caviar for years off and on. I love this stuff. It makes my hair feel so soft and shiny. A little goes a long way. It's worth the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2011 8:08:00 AM More reviews by katebrown

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It is a really good conditioner with a pleasant synthetic smell. It gets my hair fuller and shiny, hair looks great, no complain there. However, the price and the packaging will not allow me to repurchase. The Alterna bottles are the most weird.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2011 1:13:00 PM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like this Conditioner and the shampoo. I got the Travel pack of anti-aging products from Ulta and I have to say, I like the whole line. Typically I have to use some kind of leave-in treatment after washing and conditioning. My hair is colored and I've been going grey since I was 17, so needless to say, my hair is damaged, porous and dry most of the time. This conditioner leaves my hair soft and bouncy, I didn't even have to put a leave in treatment (I typically use Phyto 9). I'm impressed enough that I plan on picking up the Fullsized bottles of this next week and keep the travel pack for my boyfriend's house.

Superior product that is worth the cost!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2010 12:04:00 PM More reviews by Anniel67

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I purchased this shampoo while Sephora was having a 20% F&F discount. I'm glad I did as this conditioner really adds shine and volume to my hair. My hair feels really soft and manageable.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2010 11:26:00 PM More reviews by ArizonaAngel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this! I have fine, long, light beige-blonde hair that I dye about every 5-6 weeks. Purple shampoos, purple conditioners dry out my hair and deep treatments can weigh it down. This makes my hair feel and look amazing. I don't use this every day, and sometimes I add a few drops of UnRed to it to enhance the cool tones in my hair. This is my "going out" conditioner as it gives me so much body and my long hair looks absolutely fantastic! It's expensive but worth it. I will buy this one again!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2009 7:43:00 PM More reviews by chitchatgo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The best volumizing conditioner I've used without weighing my hair down. It's expensive but worth the prize because not much works with my hair. Even without additional styling products, my frizz is kept at bay. It really does volumize, my hair looks "bigger" and more puffy after I blowdry it. Hair looks and feels healthier as well. Alterna tends to be expensive, but it rarely disappoints. I sometimes alternate this with the hemp straight line, which is good but not as good as the caviar.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2009 1:54:00 AM More reviews by Kandiet99

I have color treated long hair and I spend tons of time making sure it's healthy so can keep it that way. I found the alterna line years ago and fell in love but this is my all time fav. It's a little pricey but a little goes a long way. I use it daily in conjunction with nutrigena hair mask once a week. My hair is without a doubt in the best condition it's ever been in. I'm on my 3rd bottle of this and it will continue t be a staple for my hair products.