October 22, 2014 | 2023 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Vaseline - Intensive Care Daily Skin Shield Protective Moisture SPF 15

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2011 4:44:00 PM More reviews by fes_fsa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

it was a toss-up between this and olay daily spf 15 (which, for a long time, has been a favorite of mine). i picked this one in the aloe fresh scent, because it doesn't smell as coppertoney as other sunscreens, cost about the same as the olay moisturizer, and you get a HUGE bottle of it... which is great, because with it being summer, i want some protection on my whole body. not to mention, most of the sunscreens and sunblocks on the market are waterproof, which i don't want or need, because i like being able to just wash up at night without excessive scrubbing, and i'm not really out in the sun that often.

i see that a couple of people bashed this product... and ignorantly and unfairly so. yes... it SEEMED like they knew what they were talking about... but i'll delve into how wrong they are with SCIENCE in a bit. first off... while this product WILL protect you against a burn (it DOES contain oxybenzone, which protects against BOTH UVA and UVB rays), it's not meant for prolonged exposure to the sun. it's a daily moisturizer, first and foremost, for the average person, who spends maybe an hour or two at the most in the sun. you know... people who work or spend alot of time indoors, whose only exposure to the sun is walking to the car or from the car to wherever they're supposed to be. if you're athletic, if you're going to be out in the open during peak hours, if you're swimming outdoors, etc., you need an spf of 30 or higher, one that won't come off with excessive perspiration, that contains either avobenzone (mixed with other sunscreens like the active ingredients in this sunscreen to make it photostable) or large particle zinc oxide (the white stuff).

as for UVA and UVB protection, you can't look at it in terms of spf, especially when you're looking to protect against UVA rays, because the spf rating system is for UVB rays only--there is no set standard for UVA rays. you have to look at it in terms of wavelength (nm) and base your sunscreen on that. for UVB rays, you need to protect 290-320 nm. for UVA2 it's 320-340 nm and for UVA1 it's 340-400 nm. UVB is actually good for you in short bursts, and helps your body convert cholesterol and body fat into vitamin D. UVA rays do nothing for the skin and both are linked to skin cancer--UVA2 (closer to UVB in terms of visibility) is the one responsible for photo damage, and UVA1 is visible, but less damaging than UVA2 (if you really want to protect yourself from UVA1 rays, get a suncap or umbrella... otherwise, live in darkness and get jaundice--at least you won't wrinkle).

it is common misinformation that avobenzone, ecamsule, zinc oxide, and titanium dioxide are the only chemicals and compounds that will give you broad spectrum protection. avobenzone protects a range of 320-400 (ALL UVA rays) and it needs to be mixed with other sunscreens to become photo stable (you will notice that avobenzone is the smallest amount when you're looking at sunscreens), and it is HIGHLY irritating, not to mention it degrades and loses its potency after about an hour (leaving you with only the UVB protection of the other sunscreens it was mixed with). ecamsule protects a range of 290-400 nm (ALL UVA and UVB rays), it doesn't degrade in the sun, and it's VERY SAFE, but sunscreens containing ecamsule are very expensive and while it offers such a wide range of protection its peak protection is 345nm, meaning that at its best, it'll absorb UVA1 rays and not offer much UVA2 or UVB protection, unless mixed with other sunscreens. titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are the BEST SUNBLOCKS (not to be mistaken with SUNSCREEN) that you can buy. they protect you against the full spectrum of light. BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, there's a HUGE difference between large particle titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, both of which protect you from 290-700 nm of the sun's wavelengths, and what you get mixed in with your sunscreens--the micronized titanium dioxide (290-320 nm) and zinc oxide (290-380 nm) DO NOT PROTECT YOU FROM ALL UVA1 RAYS.

the active ingredients in this are octinoxate (7.5%), oxybenzone (3%), and octisalate (1%). oxybenzone protects between 290-360 nm of the sun's waves. that is just a little less than the type of protection you would get from micronized zinc oxide. it is also the most powerful sunscreen contained in this lotion, meaning that it's a WEAK sunscreen. but again... this product wasn't meant for prolonged sun exposure--it's meant to moisturize and provide SOME sun protection for your day to day. if you want some hardcore protection, get the waterproof stuff. i hope this review helped and cleared up some misunderstandings.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2008 10:34:00 PM More reviews by luckylouie

My comments are for the Australian version - called Daily Sun Protection SPF 15 - UVA and UVB filters. Australia has quite strict sun protection labelling laws, and so the active ingredients for ours are different than those previously posted. The active ingredients for the Australian version are:

Octyl methocinnamate 7%, Butyl methodibezoylmethane 1.5%, Phenylbenzimadazole suphonic acid 0.5%.

I can't use this product because I am sensitive to Octyl methocinnamate, however my husband uses it and loves it. The powdery floral perfume fades after about 10 minutes, it's non greasy, sinks in easily and comes in a sturdy, no nonsense 200ml bottle. We keep one in the bathroom and he keeps one at the office. The cost is around $6AU which makes it considerably less than half the price of something like Olay SPF 15. A good value everyday product suitable for people who work indoors and simply need moderate spf protection for incidental sun exposure to and from work and at lunchtime.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/10/2008 5:38:00 PM More reviews by Baked

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like how big the container is for this bottle. I bought it for about $5 for a whopping 20.3 fl. oz. Cheap, huh? I've bought this bottle about 2-3 months ago & its only now that I've used half of it! I also bought it for the SPF 15, before I didnt research much about that low level of SPF. I found SPF only protects against UVB rays, not the getting-darker of the sun's rays.

But besides that, I like how smooth this lotion goes on my skin. It doesnt feel heavy or uncomfortable on my dry skin. But its not at all moisturizing for my dry skin. & no having to rub extra to get rid of any white residue left! It absorbs very nicely. I like the green tea smell in it. It doesnt smell like any nasty plastic-y smell like previous ones I used.

I only rated this a 3 because its just OK & no UVA/UVB protection. I may or may not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/28/2008 6:06:00 PM More reviews by luvburmese

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This lotion absorbs quickly its light and overall okay. If your skin is on the dry side this may not be for you. It’s great for every day wear. I wouldn’t substitute this for a sunscreen with UVA and UVB.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2008 5:59:00 PM More reviews by jacnqt

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

As one reviewer posted this lotion is not a broad spectrum lotion and I wouldn't use it for the beach, etc. but I love it for regular everday use when I'm out and about. It has a subtle fragrance and it moisturizes nicely. I love it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2007 3:58:00 AM More reviews by allurexoxo

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The good - The lotion is light, non-oily, non-greasy, easily spreadable, and feels very comfortable on the skin. It also doesn't really smell like sunscreen and actually smells pretty good. The bottle has a pump so it's convenient for the mornings. The price is reasonable and you get a big bottle for a decent price.

The bad - The packaging does not state that it has both UVA and UVB protection or "broad spectrum UVA/UVB" protection. It simply says that it protects from UV rays, which is very vague and leads me to assume that this product primarily protects from UVB rays. I later checked the ingredients and discovered that this product does not contain any ingredients that protect against UVA rays. The only ingredients that protect against UVA rays are zinc oxide, avobenzone, and ecamsule. This product does not contain zinc oxide, avobenzone, or ecamsule, so this product does not protect against the full spectrum of UVA rays. Also, the SPF number (SPF 15) is a rating system that measures the protection for UVB rays only. The SPF rating does not have anything to do with UVA rays. Since UVA rays are the aging rays and also penetrate through windows and glass, this product is pretty much useless for those who use sunscreen to protect their skin from aging.

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate (7.0%), Oxybenzone (3.0%)
Inactive Ingredients: Water, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract (Acai), Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Green Tea), Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Potassium Lactate, Lactic Acid, Collagen Amino Acids, Glycine Soja Sterol (Soybean), Lecithin, Petrolatum, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil (Sunflower), Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean), Sodium PCA, Sodium Stearoyl-2 Lactylate, Urea, Mineral Water, Glyceryl Stearate, Carbomer, Cetyl Alcohol, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Fragrance, Potassium Hydroxide, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Titanium Dioxide

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2007 2:16:00 PM More reviews by kzolin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I must be the only person who likes the green tea fragrance of this lotion. :) I suppose they had to add something to mask the scent of sunscreen, and I think a floral would be much worse. While I would never rely on SPF 15 to be my sunscreen for long periods of exposure, I can feel good about putting this on when I know my outdoor time will be limited. It's very moisturizing, like all Vaseline lotions I've tried, and quite reasonably priced. I'll definitely repurchase next summer.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2007 12:37:00 AM More reviews by dollfaced41

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I'm on the search for a broad spectrum, photo-stable sunscreen for daily wear on my body. There are many major obstacles. Access to good sunscreens is rediculously hard in the US. Drugstores and department stores are allowed to down right lie about coverage efficacy and completely ignore UVA coverage. Most nice sunscreens come in packages of one or two ounces with huge price tags. While I'm willing to spend $45 to get 1oz of SPF50 PPD 10+ sunscreen from Hong Kong for my face and neck, that's an unfeasable expense when application for body sunscreen should be about 1oz ($45 day? No Way!). Many of these quality sunscreens are also greasy, sticky, and itchy for dry-skinned ladies like myself. They can also leave spots on more delicate clothing.

This moisturizer is light and non-sticky with a vaguely coppertone-ish scent. I find that the scent disappears quickly. The lotion does not "float" on top of my skin, but sinks in nicely with some massaging. Overall it's a very pleasant product to apply and wear.

It's also a winner in terms of price. For around $6 at any drugstore I can get 20.3oz of lotion. A daily full body application is about 1oz. So, this lasts a good 20 days.

However, in terms of sun protection, even for limited-exposure daily use (I spend most of my time indoors), this product is not ideal. SPF 15 is a bit low and I would prefer UVB coverage of at least SPF 30. It's also a bust on UVA coverage. According to the PPD info on nora80's notepad, this has about 2.5 ppd. Recommended daily PPD is 10+.

So, my search continues. While I look, I'll continue to use this. I figure some protection is better than nothing. I may have to just give in and go through a tube of summer sunscreen every week. Stickiness is better than sun damage and skin cancer, right?

EDIT: I knocked off two lippies, because I realized that this product contains Oxybenzone, which has questionable safety for daily use (see sunscreenFAQ's notepad under "Are sunscreens toxic?"). I also found an economical alternative for US buyers: Cetaphil SPF 15, which has a PPD of around 8 and contains no hazardous materials.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/4/2007 4:03:00 PM More reviews by aleko

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Ah, yes, the smell.....As the previous reviewer noted, this product has a lasting aroma that reminds me of "sunscreen smell" (think the old coppertone of back in the day) plus something I can't put my finger on. It is not overwhelming but it is definately there, and it does last on my skin. While it's not an unpleasant smell, I fear it may interfere with lighter fragrances.
The great thing about this product is the amount you get for the money you spend. I have read that for full protection, one must apply a shot glass full of product. If you sunscreen is a buck an ounce, this gets fiscally irresponsible or impossible really quickly. Not so the case with this product. I slather away with impunity and a sense of glee.
However, my biggest concern is the quality of the sunscreen. Although there are much more agressive sunscreens (i.e. higher SPF's) out there, they all have drawbacks beyond price that make daily use messy and unpleasant. I like the texture of this lotion and how quickly it absorbs but I do wonder how much protection I am really getting. SPF 15 is NOT a lot and the chemical used for the bulk of the protection is not as broad spectrum as I might like. That said, until I find that ideal combination of high SPF, broad spectrum protection, lightweight texture, smell free formulation, and reasonably priced product, Vasaline it is.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/23/2007 11:51:00 PM More reviews by goldbugkc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Unlike the reviewer below, I detect a moderate scent to this product. I don't care for the scent, but it's not offensive, so I figured I could put up with it briefly for the benefit of the sun protection. However, for some reason this particular scent *lasts* on me. Most scented lotions fade from my skin before an hour is up, but 5 hours after applying this scent is still very noticeable.
Texture-wise, this lotion is fine. It's not too greasy or sticky and absorbs well.
However, due to the scent factor, I'll be looking for a different lotion.