November 23, 2014 | 1993 users online

Eye Shadow - Artdeco - Eyeshadow - General Review

rated 3 of 5 on 8/2/2014 5:52:00 PM More reviews by ClaireDalloway

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Well, after two months I still haven't figured out whether I like these or not. I love the packaging and the price is also not that high and I certainly love the number of various colors. However, they tend to be incredible dusty a stay on for an hour - then they disappear. Not crease but disappear. Where do they go? But for some reason I like my customized duo and therefore three lippies.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2014 5:27:00 AM More reviews by edwina22

I own 6 of the matte art deco eyeshadows I they are really good ! They are rather pricey as it was $9 NZD for 0.8 grams of eyeshadow but I'm glad I purchased them. They are buttery smooth but to the point where they are powdery ( especially the lighter shades) . However, they have great pigmentation and are super easy to blend !!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2014 6:18:00 AM More reviews by innese

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I only have one which is a matte pink called rosy starling. It's texture is incredible, so smooth an buttery. I love it, it's a true matte and it makes a great base color that doesn't wear off.
However, I didn't realize when I bought it online that it was going to be this small, It's less than a gram and it's the size of a fingertip. I also dislike the packaging, It's just a pan with a plastic sliding lid that's easy to lose. You're supposed to put it inside an empty palette they provide (no depot necessary) but that case costs about 16$ and each eyeshadow costs 10$ so it could get pricy and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. I really hate it when companies make you buy a container, it's like signing up to a club, you then have to buy more of their products. I should be able to get a decently packed product without having to buy additional items.
I do like this eyeshadow a lot, and I will go on using it, but I don't think I'll buy any more eyeshadows from them and if I do, I will get an empty palette on eBay, and not any of their expensive ones.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2013 12:10:00 PM More reviews by karmenas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

begenerek kullaniyorum

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2012 12:03:00 PM More reviews by winterfairy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have 10 of them and I looooove them. They're soft, blendable, pigmented and color choice is more than great. I used to avoid shimmery eyeshadows but these ones (that are not from matte line) are with subtle shimmer that revives the eye (if you know what I mean). Not expensive and you can make your own palette. Will buy again!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2012 5:28:00 PM More reviews by stls

I have only 4 eye shadows from artdeco, and they are not bad but there are definitely better options. Some of them are too sheer, others too sparkly for my taste, there are not many interesting colors and fallout is guaranteed.
I like the magnetic palette though, cute and handy. When I'm in the mood for sparkly eye make up, use a good brush and primer the result is quite satisfying and I've received compliments, but I don't think I'll repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2011 3:50:00 PM More reviews by mcalcia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

What attracted me to ArtDeco eyeshadows was a combination of factors:
1) their palette system - super small and travel-friendly palettes
2) packaging - you don't need to depot them to put them on a palette and you can carry them as single eyeshadows too,
3) they don't have a lot of product but still a good amount for the price (I hate huge eyeshadows, I never finish them),
4) they have beautiful shades - lots of neutrals and great non-neutral but wearable colors, matte, satin or shimmery, some even a bit glittery, so there's something for everyone.

As you can see I really wanted to love ArtDeco eyeshadows. But, unfortunately, they were a huge disappointment to me. I have 7 shades: 11, 16, 17, 18 (shimmery beige, taupes, brown), 84 (shimmery purple), 350 (taupe with a bit of glitter) and 514 (matte light taupe) and none of them is a winner.

Their problems:
- really poor pigmentation, even with primer and cream e/s as a base
- they're super powdery and have huge fallout, even in the non-glittery shades. The matte one was specially powdery
- once you blend a little, they become basically invisible and the shimmer is gone
- the glitter is a bit chunky, not as bad as Catrice glittery eyeshadows, but definetely not a fine glitter.

I'm still undecided about repurchasing. I would buy another ArtDeco eyeshadow if I wanted to try some different shade that I'm not sure that will work for me, but only if I don't find anything similar in other cheap (but better) brands like Catrice, Essence or Kiko. I'm definetely not buying any neutrals from ArtDeco anymore since you can easily find good quality neutrals in lots of other brands.

I'll give it 3 lippies because they're definetely not the worst eyeshadows in the world (which would be Maybelline, Cover Girl and the like) and they have a great price and a good variety of shades and finishes.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2011 12:49:00 PM More reviews by Yuannap

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

These shadows are of very good quality, they blend easily and do not crease. I would really recommend them. They are of much higher quality than other drugstore brands.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2010 6:28:00 PM More reviews by midnightlouise

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have just realized that HSN is selling ARTDECO products (woo-hoo!) so I figured it might be a good idea to do a review. I have 5 colors in the refill cases. (Which are basically just black cases with clear slide-out covers....the case can be purchased on HSN as well.) I own #44 - pearly white-gold; 218 - shimmery taupe; 233 - shimmery bronze; 211 - shimmery beige; 90 - shimmery medium dark purple with hints of mauve.

Yes, they appear fairly small in size, but keep in mind they weigh in at 0.03oz net weight, and MAC weighs in at 0.04, so not as little product as you think. Also keep in mind the cost of one of these babies is $6-$7 compared to MAC's $10 for the refills. So I think you come out pretty even here.

As for the quality, I have no complaints about the colors I own. The payoff is consistently good, and the staying power is on par with MAC or UD (with UD primer potion underneath as always.)

I used to have to swap with MUAers in Europe to get my hands on these, so I am excited that you can finally get them easily in the U.S. and I'm looking forward to trying new colors!

*edit* Just noticed the ones sold on HSN are actually 0.02 oz, but mine are all 0.03. Interesting, and worth noting.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2010 2:53:00 PM More reviews by carita

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The four lippies are the grade of the eyeshadows in general. Further in the review, I’ll grade each shade separately (the grade will reflect their blendability, pigmentation and simply how I like the colour).
These were the first “good” eyeshadows that I bought. I’ve heard a lot about their quality and the array of shades is great (I think there are over 50 shades), but I usually stick to neutrals. These eyeshadows are in fact refills. Each eyeshadow comes in its own pan, with transparent cover with the shade number written on it. On the bottom of the pan is a magnet which is used to sticking (attaching) the eyeshadow into a box. You don’t need to buy a palette; basically you could put the eyeshadows into any metal box. The boxes (or palettes, as I like to call them) can be bought separately. There are palettes for two eyeshadows, three eyeshadows, four eyeshadows and eight eyeshadows. The palettes are usually black, with Art Deco signature sign, but you can find palettes with decorative top cover (usually 3 pans palette) which are released with every collection and are LE. I must also mention that the camouflage and blush pans are the size of 2 eyeshadow pans. Every palette has the separate part for the brush (spoonge tip applicator), but the applicators must be bought separately.
The eyeshadows have wonderful, silky texture. Lighter shades are not as pigmented as dark shades. Most of the eyeshadows have pearly finish with some shimmer, although there are some matte and some glittery eyeshadows (I don’t recommend these, because you would end up with glitter all over your face, and their texture is not nearly as nice). Most of the eyeshadows I own blends well. They have pretty good staying power, especially if used with Art Deco eyeshadow base. The price of these eyeshadows is in a medium range – here they cost around $6-7 for a pan. I own these shades: 218, 299, 98, 208, 05, 92, 284 and 93.
218 – a medium to dark taupe brown. It has good color payoff. (4/5)
299 – a peachy pink colour, with a considerably good colour payoff, considering the fact that this is a very light shade. (5/5)
98 – a light greyish-purple shade. it is not very pigmented, but still has a decent colour payoff. Blends easily. (5/5)
208 – a medium to dark bronzey brown. It is my favourite colour, has good pigmentation (it is a bit darker than it seems on the swatch picture). Blends easily. (5/5) 05 – a light grey, medium pigmentation. Blends easily. It looks especialy good with the shade 93 (4/5)
92 – very dark purple (in the pan), which on the skin turns out as a very dark brown with purple sheen. Very pigmented, but very difficult to blend and it can simply look dirty and muddy if it is applied with a light hand (other shades look good when applied lightly). (3/5)
284 – light lavender. I don’t know what was I thinking when purchasing these shade as it completely clashes with my skin tone. The pigmentation is pretty strong. (3/5)
93 – very light pink; it is barely visible on the skin. (2/5)
When I repurchase anothes shade, I will update the review. All in all, I find these eyeshadows are pretty good and worth the money.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No