August 28, 2014 | 1027 users online

Lip Treatments - John Masters - Lip Calm

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2013 7:39:00 AM More reviews by wmstchic

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I originally saw this product in a Real Simple list. This product is one of my top 3 "go-to" balms - I've been using it for about 2 years. I keep one in my desk at work and one at home. I find it is very moisturizing, NOT addicting (as one reviewer noted), it did not "re-bound" on my lips (i.e., initially moisturizing but then drying them out), has a pleasant smell and a fair staying power. I personally like the smell/taste and have re-purchased this product already. It is great for general moisturizing. That being said, I have eczema on my lips and when that flares up I need to use something more intense. I have two other "go-to's" I use for those flare ups.

What I don't like about it: the short shelf life - I got all excicted and purchased several my first go round only to have to ditch them because of the short shelf life (6 mos.) Now I just buy one at a time.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2013 1:31:00 AM More reviews by iciclerain

Overall I like this lip balm as it moisturizes nicely but I think the citrus/lemon smell is too much. My favorite organic lip balm would still have to be lavera

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2011 4:30:00 PM More reviews by countess77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So emollient and great-tasting. You will be surprised how fast it finishes if you use it continually every day.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/28/2011 7:14:00 AM More reviews by arieeel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Been lemming for this forever so when I finally saw it in a shop I bought two. Wanted so much to love it... but unfortunately this isn't the best moisturizing balm ever. I tend to have rather dry lips nowadays, and I find that this balm doesn't really soften them, just sits on top. I have other balms that really penetrate, and this isn't one of them, as much as I wanted it to. Bonus points though for being organic -- it's good to know that whatever you're putting on your lips is all natural. It smells good too. I'm trying my best to use it up now since I heard that a tube lasts only six months, and I don't think I might be repurchasing this.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/21/2011 5:18:00 AM More reviews by kwinters

This was an impulse buy awhile back...I wanted a citrusy lip balm. Price was around $6, selling point is probably that it is organic.

The balm is a bit yellow/green in color and goes on clear. It is smooth and quite a bit thicker than Chapstick or Blistex lip balms. It is moisturizing, but I always feel like there is a layer of grease on my lips. The scent is pleasant and citrusy, but doesn't remind me of cleaning product. The balm tastes like citrus oils, which I neither liked nor disliked.

The stick of balm is quite soft. If your balm no longer goes down the tube, pushing it back down even a very small distance is difficult and messy.

Personally, I could care less if a lip balm is organic. There are cheaper lip balms with textures that I like better out there, so I will not be repurchasing this.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2011 7:25:00 PM More reviews by greengold

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a staple that I keep in my purse. It's great, almost like an olive oil lip treatment. It imparts the perfect shine, without being sticky at all and comes in a chapstick -like tube that is easy to carry. It's clear, so I can put it on without a mirror. It's also a fantastic base for lipstick and lipgloss.

********* But do NOT use this 24/7.

There is something about this product that will cause you to become addicted if you use it too much. I almost wonder if it's because it's so gentle and smooth as silk that the skin on your lips never has a chance to shed. I'm not sure.

Bottom line, this is fabulous to have around, but be aware that it's not for exclusive use.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2010 3:53:00 AM More reviews by clearady

one of the best for sure.
i finally wrote down all the lip balms i've tried on a paper, and it is over 60 now.
i've bought or sampled at least three times every single one i've ever heard of.
from kiehls to burt bees to la mer to dr bronners to by terry to aveeno to dior rose balm to korres lip balms to ole henriksen etc, the list goes on and on. there are five out of that 60 that i will ever bother to buy again, because the variety we have nowadays in lip products allows me my high standards. price, ingredients, and results are the three major points i expose in lip products. let's discuss this particular one.

price = $7 @ Whole Foods not bad, still dr.bronners is $3. so it's a medium range of a balm. there have been far more expensive balms $45 and $70, but as an organic (not drugstore) balm this is on the lower end of price matters.

ingredients = excellent love that it has fancy oils like rosehip, wheat germ and hemp, but esp effective are the citrus oils. unfortunately, this balm lasts only 6 months and it will go bad. it melts easily because of the ingredients. so if you can't use it every other day, it's not worth buying.

results = great, not perfect. dr. bronner's, pangea's, and ole henriksen's are still better. if it weren't for dr.bronner's, i'd most definitely buy this. but the price and results are better than this, and the ingredients are similar and also excellent.

i will probably not buy this again, because of the 6 month usage requirement and the really liquid texture of it (probably due to the olive oil?), but this balm is definitely in the top ten of all the ones i've ever tried. a definite recommend.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2010 5:49:00 PM More reviews by Kayelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love natural and organic products, but this balm falls far short of expectations. The scent is boring and a bit too earthy for my taste, and the texture is waxy and not at all moisturizing. There are a lot of superior organic balms on the market, like those from Pangea.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/7/2010 4:42:00 PM More reviews by cloestar24

Ugh, I had the same problem. This product actually makes your lips chapped and raw. I don't understand why because it wasn't like this during the first week of use. Now I"m trying to get my lips back to normal but it feels as if its sunburned. They are red, chapped and dry. :X I love John Masters Organics. I use their shampoos and bodywash, lotions but this product is just bad. Stay away! You've been warned!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2010 10:23:00 AM More reviews by ecochic13

This is an awesome natural lip balm. It goes on sleek. It is enriched with fruit oils and is high in antioxidants so you feel like you are doing something good for your lips. I use this on the go and use NUDE lips at night as a treatment. My lips could not be happier in the dry winter months. Also, i do enjoy the smell from the fruit (lemon, tangerine & lime) ingredients.