December 20, 2014 | 1681 users online

Fragrances - Parfumerie Generale - Ilang Ivohibe

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2014 2:05:00 PM More reviews by pennypencil

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

I respect the Parfumerie Generale line completely, and love several of their scents. However, occasionally Iím just confused by the blend of notes.
The first thing Iíll say is that from the name I was expecting Ylang Ylang, but I canít detect any. The main scent I get is the Gillette shaving foam my dad uses, mixed with that creamy rice note you find in some Guerlain perfumes and Armani Cuir Amethyste. I get little to no vanilla, and neroli rather than orange. When I breathe it in deeply, my head hurts, so I canít trace the jasmine. It gets softer and sweeter as it dries down but is still thick and odd on my skin.
Iím trying to imagine an occasion I would enjoy the scent of this. Perhaps on someone else. Iím very perplexed that itís marketed as ultra-feminine, because itís very masculine to me. Manly and scratchy. Ick.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2010 11:01:00 AM More reviews by tessture

Fairly faint vanilla with ylang and a sunscreen note, probably the jasmine and orange together. So very faint I have to press my nose to my wrist. Vanilla isn't sweet but it's overall very 'eh' and the sunscreen feeling makes me not care. Nothing wrong with it, but not for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2010 11:28:00 PM More reviews by chrystelica

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Really very pretty. Totally unexpected, fresh and refreshing at first, almost bracing like cologne, but in a feminine way. Lovely top notes. It mellows out quickly into the ylang, which is transparent, white and fresh, never thick or syrupy, a really nice take on ylang-- definitely the best I've smelled.

This is amazingly gorgeous. Somehow it merged with my skin chemistry really well. I had a definite sense of "this isn't what this is -supposed- to smell like, but I like it...." It changed drastically in the mid-notes and sent out wafts of something extremely familiar, yet excitingly unique. I could never figure out what this was....... was it sort of similar to a massage oil I used to use, with ylang-ylang and some rosewood, perhaps?

I'll never know. The drydown is nothing remarkable, but the top and mid-notes are really unique and very attractive. I also have to totally agree with the other reviewer who mentioned the girly freckles. Normally I wouldn't find that attractive, but this is the typical California girl 'fresh' look, from the 60s, she's thin, not as innocent as she appears, fragile, fun, big smile...... this is how she would smell...

It's the white-sundress type of attractive female.. almost feline in the most ethereal way. She's talking but you hear no words... just the sound of her voice. Her smile grazes your face like the sun, overwhelmingly bright, and you melt a little.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2010 6:03:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Very strange one, I was also expecting something cozy, woody or creamy (I associate PG w/ those notes, from Aomassai, Coze, Cadjmerť... that are my favorites in this house), but Ivohibe surprised me.
It starts off as a fresh fragrance, almost masculine and aftershave-like... I can smell vetiver, mint and bergamote.
but then it turns into a creamy vanilla -cedar concoction... There is something sweet like Ylang-ylang and jasmine, that I like very much as notes.
It turns therefore quite feminine but not overly sweet.
Nice one, but not my preferred in the line.
________
notes as per Fragrantica:
madagascar ylang-ylang, vanilla, californian orange and egyptian jasmine
Quite fleeting, in addition. But a nice to try.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2007 9:54:00 AM More reviews by Emma13

On my skin this has an overwhelming aniseed-y note (the ylang, I guess). I can tell it's a quality scent, but I expected something totally different from the previous reviews. Not for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2007 11:44:00 PM More reviews by rnornan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love and covet this scent. It is simply fabulous in all respects except maybe the lasting power. However I always hesitate to judge a scent unless I can spray it. I find that this will somehow make it cling better to my clothes and skin--finer mist perhaps. This scent is soft, dusty and lovely--a gentle whisper of a scent--BasiaS describes the feel better than I could but it's feminine in a way that isn't sticky sweet or haughty. It's equally good for a picnic or a cozy night by yourself. To me it is not a dressy scent but a natural girl scent--it's how I wish to be. I think it suits freckles, wind-whipped wispy hair and sun and perhaps a bar of ivory soap.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2007 12:05:00 PM More reviews by Funkly

When I first tested this perfume I went back to Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Ylang and Vanilla for reference and contrast. After all many of the notes were similar, however the scents could not be more different. In the PG version the ylang is never heady or too creamy, none of the almost rotting sweetness which I often associate with this note. Instead it maintains a certain crispness and transparency, may be thanks to the added orange. The vanilla component is a woody one and there is no sticky pod sweetness. This is definitely a shared floral. I agree with the previous reviewer that while this is no ground breaking fragrance, it is definitely worthy of existence.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2006 8:10:00 PM More reviews by BasiaS

This one caught me completely by surprise! I was expecting something edgy and slightly off - but good (think of the super-sweet opening in Aomassai, the hemp note in Coze, or the vetiver in L'eau Rare Matale, etc.) - and instead got a lovely and pleasant creamy floral. Ok, so I.I. is not the most interesting scent out of this line, but I think it's quite beautiful. The vanilla is quite prominent on me, and it gently smoothes the ylang ylang and jasmine notes, which at times can be quite harsh on my skin. There is also a gorgeous sweet orange note on top that gives this fragrance this great creamsicle feel without making it too sweet or cloying. I also detect gentle woods notes in the base, which keep the scent from becoming too 'girly' or sugary. You must try this if you love white florals or gourmand scents - this is a truly lovely combination of the two. It's similar in feel to Des Filles' Toi... Mon Ange, but PG's scent is far better. Notes: Madagascan ylang-ylang, California citrus orange, Egyptian jasmine, vanilla, tree woods, musk.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No