Alima Foundation Brush 25

4.8

Not tested on animals

on 3/27/2015 12:53:00 AM

Like most people here, my journey into the realm of mineral makeup has been a long and arduous one. I started with Bare Escentuals but was very dissatisfied with the coverage (possibly patchy but it's been so long I honestly can't be sure). After reading many positive online reviews, I then tried Mineral Hygienics and was not only rewarded with more bad coverage but my adult acne was exacerbated to the point of being worse than it had ever been on my hormone-riddled, adolescent skin, or at any other time in my life, for that matter. When I finally tried Alima Pure, I discovered a foundation that was an almost perfect color, made my skin calmer and clearer than ever, and didn't leave me looking like a ghost, pumpkin or reptile. Under the circumstances, I felt like Goldilocks in Baby Bear's bed and have been using Alima ever since. Lately, however I've become a bit frustrated by their pricing policy. Their makeup, while decent, is not cheap and I lost a lot of loyalty points when they discontinued the program (something I was unaware of until it was too late, since I only repurchase when necessary and have a strong aversion to mailing lists). Having recently returned to school and finding myself with a much more limited budget, I decided that their blanket 15 to 20 dollar shipping rates to Canada were the last straw and have once again embarked on a search for the perfect, reasonably priced, mineral foundation by sampling other brands.

Over the years, as I've experimented with makeups, I've also experimented with brushes. From high end to drugstore brands, to the brushes that came with each of my mineral makeup starter kits, I'm no stranger to shedding, itching, breaking, and everything in between. I liked the fact that Alima's brushes were cruelty-free and made of synthetic bristles and, having found their #23 kitten brush, which I bought on sale, to literally be as soft as one, I proceeded to order a #39 large shadow brush, a #35 eye detail brush, #17 blush brush and a #25 foundation brush, all of which I have been using for years. This evening, I decided that my regular brush cleaner just wasn't cutting it and that it was once again time to give my brushes a good, old fashioned scrub with soap and water, holding them upside down under the faucet until the water ran clear. Since the #25's bristles are rather densely packed, I will admit that I was more concerned with being thorough than being gentle, a technique I confess to having used on the others as well. As I stood over my bathroom sink, furiously scrubbing away, I watched as a hair detached from my first Alima brush, the kitten, and realised that this single strand was THE ONLY hair that has EVER fallen off ANY of my Alima brushes. They simply don't shed, their handles don't break, they don't scratch or irritate my sensitive skin and, most importantly, they apply makeup exactly the way I would want and expect them to.

While I cringe at the thought of ever needing to order anything from this company again, I reluctantly concede that, provided their quality doesn't diminish, I will never be purchasing another makeup brush from any other brand. Ever. Luckily for me, the way these ones seem to be holding up, I may never even have to consider doing so.

on 9/29/2012 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This brush is soft, sturdy, and quite well-made, and I love how it has a longer handle since I have long fingers. It dries surprisingly quickly when washed. I cringed at the $28 price at first compared to other eco brands such as Ecotools, but Alima's definitely works better. I had to start using *less* foundation since it picks up and distributes so well with so little!

EDIT: Alima's CS just confirmed that their brushes ARE made in China, so dropping my rating to 3 and changing my rebuy to "no." Ecotools and EDM brushes are also made in China, so while Alima's quality is slightly better it's not enough to pay $10-$15 more per brush.

on 7/15/2012 9:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have the original #25 brush and as much as I tried to convince myself I liked it, I finally had to change my original review from 2008. While the bristles are silky soft and the price can't be beat, the bristles are too densely packed for me. Every single time I have used the #25 brush to apply mineral foundation, I ended up with caked on foundation that I had to reblend with a sponge. The densely packed bristles pack on too much foundation. Believe me I've tried everything to make it work and it just doesn't. I much prefer my Eco retractable kabuki brush for mineral foundation.

on 3/4/2012 9:03:00 PM

I have the old style (bought in 2007) and it's still working great. I use it for everything!
-bare minerals
-PUR minerals
-MAC studio fix
-MAC studio tech
-liquid foundation
-other powders

I am very diligent about cleaning this with a mild shampoo about once a week, and it's STILL going strong and not loosing any bristles. It's super super soft to the touch and works great.

on 2/14/2012 7:39:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

I like this brush a lot, it's soft and I find it does a good job for mineral foundation application. I like the long handle too.
The way I apply it is by literally sprinkling a tiny little bit of the mineral foundation onto a large pan (an old huge bronzer compact that I've emptied out and cleaned). I dip/swirl the brush to pick up all the powder and then apply, I repeat that a few times to get the right coverage little by little. This has worked well for me, though may be a bit time comsuming for some, but I'd rather do that as I find tapping off the excess gets messy.

on 10/6/2011 4:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm really happy with this brush. I'm using it with Alima's Satin Matte Foundation, and sometimes also apply Bronzer with it. With this, I get a very natural finish, nothing settles into my rather large pores, and I do not get any of the flaking mentioned by another.

How I use it:
-apply serum and moisturizer
-let absorb
-optionally apply primer
-touch a nickel-sized part of the brush to the mineral foundation
-tap and swirl the brush in a small bowl or cup to spread product and remove excess
-lightly brush onto face
-pick up remaining product in bowl
-brush onto face
:: repeat as needed for desired coverage

I do not rub or buff my skin with the brush. Doing that irritates my skin regardless of brush or sponge type, and I find the finish is nowhere near as good with that approach and my skin.

If anything changes when I start also using Alima's primer, I'll update, but I anticipate it will only improve the finish and longevity of the mu.

This brush is so great I'm thinking of getting a second!

on 6/25/2011 7:53:00 AM

I use Alima satin matte foundation exclusively. For me, this brush is a wonderful thing, but you have to take that statement in context. I've been limping along with the terrible BE flawless application and kabuki brushes for years--they hurt my face, they shed relentlessly and copiously, they provide uneven coverage (at least in my inexpert hands). Awful brushes, but I just never got around to getting better ones.

The Alima #25 feels incredibly soft on my sensitive, rosacean skin. It is well-made and feels like a high-quality brush. It also does not shed 20+ hairs per use as did both my BE brushes. (These two items are wonderful things to me and enough to get me over to the computer to review. Like an underground prisoner coming up into the light for the first time, I'm so impressed with the sunlight and the grass that I'm not ready to notice that the campground may not have a bathroom or covered parking.)

Lastly, I get excellent coverage with this brush. Another reviewer commented that the Alima foundations need to be lightly brushed on as opposed to buffed in, and after using this brush I believe that is the case. The brush doesn't have the strength to drive the makeup into the skin, but it does provide smooth, even coverage that, on me, is not flaky or "there." With this brush the Alima mmu melts into my skin beautifully. I should mention that I do wear a relatively shiny and moisturizing sunscreen underneath it so that may be why I don't experience the flakies that some others have found with this brush.

It seems to wash well too; I'm extremely careful with my brushes so that may be why I haven't experienced the bristles pulling out of shape after washing.

In short, I love this brush and don't feel the need to continue looking. I'm still not sure if I came here this morning to love on my new Alima brush or hate on my old BE brushes, but I am so happy to be out in the sunlight with my #25. Well worth the money, IMO.

on 5/29/2011 1:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I liked this brush a lot for the first few months I used it -- it's soft and doesn't leave any bristles on your face like other synthetic (and natural) brushes do. But it lost its shape after a few months -- the bristles in the middle started sinking (or the bristles near the edges started coming up relative to the middle bristles?) and I had to toss it. I'm trying out MAC's Buffer brush (182) which is also very soft, but unfortunately does leave some bristles behind on my face. Hopefully it will keep its shape longer!

on 5/24/2011 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This brush has forced to me to apologize to my poor face for subjecting it to BE's kabuki brush all these years. I didn't realize how crappy that brush was until I started using this one. The bristles are densely packed but still flexible, and incredibly soft. I'm talking kittens and bunnies and clouds and baby's bottoms. Coverage is heavier than with BEs kabuki, so I have to watch the amount of product I pick up. For days I want to go lighter on my foundation, I use my Ecotools powder brush. The bristles bled a bit the first couple of washes, but given that they're black, I wasn't surprised. I also lost a few bristles during the first couple of washes, but haven't had any problems since. Dry time is about 24 hours. As much as I like this brush, I'm not sure I would repurchase if I lost it. (I don't think it's going to wear out anytime soon!) I'd prefer a brush that allows for more buildable coverage.

on 3/7/2010 3:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Overall, this is a great brush for mineral foundations or setting powder. It's a medium/large brush with a medium-length handle. It's a good shape and incredibly soft, and offers fairly even application. I would prefer it be a bit more dense, however, as I feel that the slight "give" that the synthetic fibers give cause some inconsistency in application once in awhile, but that's just my opinion. I oscillate between this and my kabuki, and have had success with each of them.

One lippie off for not being as dense as I'd like, but 4 lippies for overall quality, good size, and the fact that it is reasonably priced and comes from a great company.

Popular Makeup Brushes