November 29, 2014 | 1171 users online

Shampoo - Burt's Bees - Color Keeper Green Tea and Fennel Seed Shampoo [DISCONTINUED]

rated 2 of 5 on 2/2/2012 8:58:00 AM More reviews by gmmace80

As others have commented, the scent of this shampoo is fabulous. There are some sulfate-free shampoos that lather well, but this isn't one of them. The texture of the product is extremely runny, and it doesn't have any "slip" to it, so you have to use quite a lot to get your entire head covered. I received an email from Burt's Bees customer service that said this shampoo has been discontinued. I wish I could find another shampoo with a similar fragrance.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2011 3:15:00 PM More reviews by KillCloud9

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The smell is great. That's my favourite part about it, and everybody noticed the smell. When I was at this camp, my friend walked into the bathroom and knew I was in the shower by the smell!
It seemed to preserve my colour quite well too, which is important since I dyed my hair red - that usually fades really fast)
It cleaned my hair, moisturized it and made it SUPER shiny.
Packaging was great. I loved everything about it.
It was on the pricier end of what i like to spend (I'm cheap) but you are paying for quality.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/29/2011 9:16:00 AM More reviews by qkellie

Ugh, I wish I liked this stuff, I really did. The scent is awesome, and it does seem to keep my color lasting without fading. The conditioner is silky and I also use it for shaving, actually. But the shampoo itself? Eesh, no. My hair gets crazy dry on the ends but oily at the roots, as if it's not actually doing any cleaning of the scalp area, no matter what I do. No other shampoo has left my hair feeling so dirty. And because it doesn't seem like it's cleaning anything, if I use even ONE styling product after washing, my hair behaves as if it hasn't been washed for a week. I'm trying desperately to use up what I have left, but I hate this stuff so much that it's taken me months and months to do so. I hate being wasteful, so I'll finish it and just expect bad hair on the days I use it. Blech.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2010 3:58:00 PM More reviews by sharkdisco

There are people out there who, no matter what they use, have awesome hair. And then there's the rest of us who try product after product trying to figure out how to get healthy, manageable hair. I definitely fall into the second category. My hair is greasy at the top, crazy dry and coarse at the ends. I need to wash every day to stop it from looking limp and gross. I take vitamin pills and avoid processed food in an effort to build good hair from the inside-out, and sure, my hair looks healthy and strong from the roots to just below my ears, but everything after that is just a hot mess. Clearly something about my every day routine is destroying my hair.

Enter Burt's Bees Color Keeper. I just switched to this shampoo in order to get away from silicones and sulfates, which may very well be what's killing my hair (only time will tell if this theory is right, although people on places like the Long Hair Community seem to feel that these two kinds of ingredients are the enemy of healthy hair). I chose this shampoo because it seemed the one shampoo in the hair care aisle at my local drugstore that seemed the least like a conventional shampoo.

What makes this product feel drying is its lack of silicone-related ingredients (like dimethicone). These are the ingredients that make your hair feel silky while you're rinsing out the shampoo and add softness when your hair is dry. These are also the ingredients that cause buildup on hair, and dimethicone has been linked to acne (which may explain my ongoing backne and neck acne breakouts over the years).

After a couple of uses I have to say that I really, really like this product. No, my hair does not feel squeakly clean, but maybe that's a good thing. It's possible that healthy hair isn't supposed to be totally oil-free and coated in silicone. Perhaps if I stop stripping all the oil out of my hair every day, my body will stop compensating by going into crazy oil over-production mode. Only time will tell. What I do know is that I let my hair air-dry today, and instead of ending up a dry, frizzy mess it actually has softness, body and shine. Go Burt's Bees!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/1/2010 5:29:00 PM More reviews by veronicafrench

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is my favorite shampoo! It smells wonderful, cleans well and does not leave any residue. It is best when used with the conditioner as it does have a slight drying effect but if I air dry my hair I just use the shampoo.

Update: after many uses this product started to dry my hair out even when it was wet in the shower! Not sure what happened but it would hardly go into my wet hair and would not produce any suds etc.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2009 7:20:00 PM More reviews by canadiancutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I really like this shampoo. I love that it has natural ingredients, and it smells pretty good. Burt's Bees washes clean and does not leave a residue, only very clean hair! :) Some people may find it just a little bit drying, but that is resolved as soon as you apply the matching conditioner. It lathers well too. It keeps my colour-treated blonde hair looking great!

UPDATE: I have been using this for over a year now, and I still love it! I have tried a couple other shampoos in that time, but quickly came back to my senses and went back to Burt's Bees!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/22/2009 11:39:00 AM More reviews by sassypants

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This shampoo just doesnít work for my hair type (I have thick, color-treated hair with a fair amount of gray). It made my hair super-dry. Some folks on the bulletin board suggested it might be the soy protein, but I canít be sure. This is the first Burtís Bees product Iíve been dissatisfied with, so Iím pretty bummed out. I love the smell and the fact that it doesnít contain SLSís., which is why I gave it 2 lippies instead of one. Alas, itís so drying to my hair that I actually switched last night to a bottle of shampoo Iíd gotten at Sallyís and have been keeping around the house for guestsÖ it contains SLSís, but until I can afford to buy more Pureology (what I was using before switching to the Burtís) the Sallyís is better than having straw-like hair. :(

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2009 4:16:00 AM More reviews by radar626

I really love this shampoo. It cleans my hair without leaving any funky residue to weigh it down. You do have to use conditioner with it though. This is not a shampoo to use by itself - there are no additives to make it a conditioning shampoo. The conditioner is a great product too. The smell is fantastic - a great way to wake up in the morning. I had to get used to my hair drying much quicker than normal and having to use a leave in conditioner because as I said before, this product leaves NO residue. It's an amazing clean, but if you get the tangles, you may want to either leave a bit of conditioner in your hair (which gets many compliments on how great your hair smells and looks) or use a leave in conditioner or shine serum.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/20/2009 2:05:00 AM More reviews by twirlygurl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This shampoo smells soooo good! I had to buy it the moment I opened the cap in the store. The smell alone made me give it two lippies...otherwise it would have gotten none. Unfortunately, it left a sticky feeling film on my hair and I couldn't get a comb through no matter what. I ended up having to rewash my hair.
My hair is untreated and I don't use any styling products normally, I did the full wet down as suggested by other reviewers and I'm already used to sulfate-free shampoos so I don't know what other factors could change the way this product works on me. I don't think I'll try this shampoo again. Sad, I really wanted to be able to use this since I love the scent in this shampoo.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2009 12:54:00 AM More reviews by vianna

First of all, I don't have colored hair (just natural dark brown waves) and I love this shampoo. It smells so fresh and natural and "green." I love it because it has great ingredients and doesn't strip my hair. There is no frizz but it doesn't weigh hair down so you don't get the dreaded "flat head." The shampoo is slightly runnier than regular shampoo and you almost always have to repeat (it lathers best the second time). I definitely recommend. It is not highly expensive; in fact, it doesn't cost much more than a lot of the harsh, unnatural shampoos I used to buy. It lasts long too.
The conditioner is great too. The products work well together.
My hair was pretty soft and not tangeled. I have medium, wavy hair not thin but not too thick.