April 18, 2014 | 1957 users online

Styling Products - Clairol - Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 12/2/2013 7:33:00 PM More reviews by HeartofanElephant

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

One day I had noticed this product had fallen behind something, so I decided to try it out because it had been awhile since I had last used it. I don't like to waste products so I thought I would just use the rest of it up. This was a product that had been originally recommended to me by a fellow curly girl. It's something that I started to use when I had decided to embrace my curls and not flat iron them which, in fact, was several years ago. Anyway long story short, I was excited to try it out again. I was, however, a bit let down by it. It seemed to have lost some of it's magic. Something that is important to note is that it didn't have any negative impacts on my hair. It just wasn't what I remembered it to be. It didn't really get rid of my uncontrollable frizz and it didn't really seem to sculpt my curls all too well. I do like the smell though, it's quite pleasant. Overall, would I try it again? Most likely not. Would I recommend it to someone else? Probably not but whose to say my opinion is right.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2013 4:09:00 PM More reviews by star2000

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I loove this! Just put a bit on your finger and run it all through your hair when it's wet or dry and it holds all curls and it makes my wakes wavyier! I love to put this in when my hair is wet then put in in a braid at night and in the morning I have perfect beachy waves with no frizz:)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2013 1:21:00 AM More reviews by Leweyway

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have straight hair and recently bought this item thinking that it would give me some loose waves. I tried to put it in my hair, and follow the instructions, and nothing happened. But, a way that works for me is that I take a shower and night, put this in my hair, and put a messy bun in. It gives me beautiful, wavy hair and it smells amazing in the morning. :) Although it's different, I would definately buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2012 4:18:00 PM More reviews by MsSexyDivine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

I find this to be a pretty good gel for my dry curly hair, it holds the curls all day without a ton of frizz. As far as for crunchiness goes, if I just lightly run my hands over my curls it breaks up the what crunchy feeling is there & makes my curls soft & manageable.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/4/2012 9:41:00 PM More reviews by avazq8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

* EDIT * -
They changed the packaging and the formula of this gel and the new one is terrible. First, the lovely scent is gone, and secondly, it leaves no curls. My hair looks like I clumped on the gel in a haphazard way and let it dry to a sticky mess on purpose. What a shame. I changed my overall rating to a 1 and will not be repurchasing.
* * *
After using my beloved Suave CC Whipped Cream mousse for over a year, I decided to give my hair a break from styling products containing alcohol. Enter HE Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel. First of all, the smell totally blows my mind. I wish I could bottle that fragrance and spray it on myself daily. It's clean, feminine, and I find it soothing. The product itself is clear, and less is definitely more when using this. I have very thick, armpit-length hair that tends to be on the dry side due to coloring over the years. After having my microfiber towel on for about 10-15 minutes, I detangle my hair and grab this gel. I keep this product to my ends only and use it only from the ears down. I spread a small amount in my palms, maybe 2-3 peas' worth, and rub them together then scrunch my hair upward. I have side bangs and blow those out, then take my hair dryer with diffuser on the lowest heat setting and gently dry the ends in an upward motion. (Hope that makes sense.) What I end up with are loose curls that don't look clumped together and my hair has zero stickiness or crunch that tends to come with gel products. I've repurchased and will continue to do so.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/1/2012 4:44:00 PM More reviews by sjulien

I've had this product for quite some time now and I know I have repurchased it in the past. I started using this product in grade 12 I think, so about 7 or 8 years ago when big messy buns were in...

I always used this product with diffuser and then put my hair in a messy bun because leaving it down just looked strange. In the past 5 years I have maybe used this product twice. The most recent time was last week when I applied a bit to my ends and went to bed. It's not a horrible product, it's just not how I like to style my hair. My roommate did make note that my hair was styled differently, I was just hoping to get more defined waves. It was wearable.

I won't buy this product again once I run out, or throw it out because I have a large variety of new products that I like better and use more.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2012 8:57:00 PM More reviews by alanza

I have been using this product for a few years now and it has become my hands down favorite curly hair product thus far. It is only $2.99 for a 170 g bottle, and it is available almost everywhere. I usually apply it on damp hair after I have used a defrizz serum, and it does a great job of defining my curls without giving me that 'wet look' which I am not really a fan of. Even if I overapply the gel it is easy to scrunch and remove that stiff curl feeling once dry, and it doesn't flake like some hold products. Also, it is water based and washes out easily without causing a lot of build up in my hair. I recommend trying this if you have curly or quite wavy hair and you want curls that don't look fake or drenched in product.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2012 7:00:00 PM More reviews by LilyMakeupEvan

My hair is straight and one that refuses to curl. This stuff provides great hold and actually helps alot. I put it before using my curling iron on damp hair or when pin curling my hair and its really amazing, not to mention its smells like heaven! Doesn't feel crunchy or drying and perfectly does what its supposed to. Definitely give this a try, you wont regret! I wont repurchase, as I wish to try out other gels and maybe get something with a wee bit more hold but as for the quality of this product, definitely loved it. and its uber-cheap too!
EDIT: Applied this to damp hair and put up hair in a messy bun, and voila! My hair scrunched up good. Definately reccomend this!
Check out my review on other hair care products and let me know if this review was helpful or not.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2012 12:51:00 PM More reviews by manamana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is HG product for me that I have been using for years! I don't know what I would do without this product. I rarely, but sometimes try other scrunching gels and always come running back to this.

I have naturally curly/wavy hair, and this product helps my curls/waves so much. I think the trick is in finding the right amount for you and when to apply it to your hair.

I let my hair dry in a towel for about 10 minutes after I get out the shower. This really doesn't work well if your hair is dripping wet. I then use a detangler, comb through my hair, apply a small amount of leave-in conditioner and then about as much as 3 peas of this product. I rub the product and spread it on my hands and then run it through my hair, leaving out the roots and the hair above my ears. I then scrunch my hair with my hands and also apply some mousse similarly and scrunch again.

When my hair dries, I have soft natural curls. Once your hair dries you can sort of scrunch through it to break up some of the curls but if you use the right amount of product (sometimes I go overboard) they shouldn't turn out hard or messy.

I get so many compliments on my hair and love it because it's such little work and allows for me to wear such a care-free style!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/1/2012 9:55:00 AM More reviews by SLOTATfan

Don't buy this. I have curly hair, and this does nothing. Its a waste of money. The only good thing about it is that it smells good.