September 2, 2014 | 962 users online

Treatments - Mavala - Scientifique

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2014 10:01:00 PM More reviews by glamourdoll

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I had been using Essie Millionails, but that seems to have disappeared. So my search for a nail hardener turned up this product. Four months after taking off my acrylics my nails were sad. I've vowed never to wear acrylics again. But I hoped that this nail hardener would be the ticket. I found this at Ulta. I've been using this twice a week on nail tips as directed for the past two months. My nails are strong and healthy. Yes this formula doesn't smell nice. But it works as promised. This tiny bottle will last for a long time. I know it has formaldehyde but it works. I would totally recommend this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2013 12:35:00 PM More reviews by peggy1234

I have had acrylic nails for 14 years and now have tried to go back to natural nails. This is the first product to work. What I am doing is putting this on the whole nail and not getting any on the skin around the edges. The skin will be rock hard if you do. It is a hardener and it does get the job done!  It is very easy to be very accurate with the application as the item is very well designed.
The next thing I do is not necessary but I have found it easy and helpful. I then glue with Wonder Bond glue(it is the best I have found! Cost is about$4 from Sallys) fake nails from Sally's called Terrific Tips. These can be a tip or a full nail. I use them as a full nail and I like them because they are strong BUT very very thin. They cost maybe $7 for 100 assorted tips. I can get an easy week out of them before I take them off because the glue is that good!  Then I paint my nails and use Seche Vite -Sally's also-for a top coat. I have used many high end and drug store top coats but for me this is the very best I have found. I really love it and will never be without it.
When I take off the fake nails I find that my natural nail has been growing very well while under the fake nail.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/25/2013 9:44:00 AM More reviews by lannylc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i like many bought this after reading good reviews.i have been using it for a couple of months, i cant say its the worst thing i have tried but its not that good either my nails still split/peel and chip they dont break as often but when they do its more of a snap. i am holding out hope that things may improve by the time i finish the bottle, which will obviously effect whether i will purchase it again but at the minute a leaning towards no

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2012 12:14:00 PM More reviews by katyren

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This time last year my nails were awful, they were bitten down, weak and really ugly, now they're long(ish) and much stronger. I bought this on a whim but I'm so glad I did, I couldn't live without it now. I apply it every time I re do a mani so 1-2 times a week. When I first started using it my nails started to harden in about a week, from the on they have got stronger and longer. Its not that cheap but considering how long it lasts it is really good value for money. Packaging is okay, nothing special. After a few months of use I noticed this dries out my nails so I use a cuticle oil straight after. I do still get broken nails but its rare and to be expected.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2012 5:57:00 PM More reviews by cosmeticat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This hardened my nails just like it promised to do. My nails used to be pretty soft, they didn't break, but literally were tearing off until I started to use this. For the first time in my life I am able to grow my nails, and they are super hard. This product is also super easy to apply, comes in a small bottle, it is not like a polish, but a blue liquid, so quite runny. You apply it to your nails, and simply let your nails absorb the product, which happens with in seconds. Will continue to use.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2011 4:27:00 PM More reviews by livviep

I absolutely love this product! It makes your nails hard enough so they finally have a chance to grow longer without peeling/breaking/splitting.

Although the directions say to only apply to the tips, I apply to the majoirty of the nail because otherwise the top is hard and breaks off. In addition, I also file and buff my nails regularly to get rid of the little "ridges" in the body of my nail that contribute to breakage. I've been using scientifique for about 2 weeks and my nails are so long I have to clip them to keep them at a reasonable length.

The product is a littlle pricey, but it is definitely worth it because it lasts forever! I will definitely buy again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2011 4:05:00 AM More reviews by iramasson

My nais were completely out of control with peeling. No matter what I did I coundn't grow my nails much more then 2 mm beyond the fingertip. My nails would peel so much that it would become extremely thin and weak.

Anyway, I have owned this product for a while and have tried it a couple of times on separate occasions. I was not too impressed and never used it continually. But now that my nails were a complete disaster I decided to commit myself to using this under my base coat every time I do my manicure (every 4 days). and guess what! It totally works. My nails are now the longest in a couple of years. I only use it on the tips which is where I have the problem and they have finally stopped peeling after only 3 weeks. I am too nervous to stop using it now so will carry on for a while.

You get a very small amount in the bottle but if you use it on the tips only as recommended it will definitely last you longer than a year. The only con is the price....

rated 4 of 5 on 10/13/2010 10:17:00 AM More reviews by Monsoon_morning

This is a really good product that hardens nails, and though it comes in a small vial, it's more than enough and will last you a long while.
A reviewer mentioned that it hardens nails, but doesn't strengthen it, which I found to be somewhat true. Of course, the harder the nail the stronger it becomes (as opposed to brittle and thin) but I did find that although my nails became rock hard, it still split at the base - potentially even worse than when it split normally! It says on the instructions to use it sparingly and only on the nail tip, but I am using it a few times a week on the whole nail so that it doesn't break in the way that I explained above (hard tip, weak base, it breaks and is painful!)
Then again, I do work with my hands a lot for my job so that may be why my nails suffer more than most. Overall, a good product and good value for money.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2009 6:11:00 AM More reviews by mimita

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I have always had extremely soft nails, that peel off really easily. Only a few months ago I started wearing polish regularly, changing it every other day, sometimes everyday. Before I even knew base coats existed I thought I couldn't even wear polish because after two weeks or so my nails began peeling dramatically, like onions, crumbling literally into pieces. Base coats have obviously improved this situation, but after a while I realized that changing my polish that often was forcing me to face that peeling problem again. Enter Scientifique: I now take my polish off, slather my nails with cuticle oil and massage a bit, than wash my hands and put this product (two times a week, not every time I change my manicure) on before applying my basecoat. It dries immediately, so it just requires a minute or two for application. It really has changed my nails. Seriously. After the first applications they were already visibly improved, but after a few months I can say it has transformed them. They have never been so hard, smooth and thick. I still hardly believe it. I realize that it's not supercheap, but bear in mind that I have used it regularly since June and the bottle is still like new, no dent. You have to use a ridiculous amount, so it will last forever. I think now I'll switch to applying it once a week, just for maintenance, but I'll ALWAYS repurchase. It's not only science, it's science-fiction!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2009 2:31:00 PM More reviews by georgia21

This product hardens nail tips that are soft, break, flake, or peel. It's meant to be used only on the white (free) portion of the nail. I contacted Customer Service at Mavala and was told that once nails have been strengthened, to stop using it or nails will become too hard, leading to breakage.

Scientifique works immediately to harden the nail tips. It also dries almost immediately, so if used before a manicure, the base coat can be applied right over. Avoid getting it on cuticles because this can cause burning and aching.

There's a lot of formaldehyde in Scientifique (4.5%), so it can cause irritation if not used correctly, if used for too long, or if used by those who are sensitive to formaldehyde.

The product has a very strong odor (I bought the bottle), so I used a mask when applying.