December 19, 2014 | 1539 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Everyday Minerals - Flocked Sponge

rated 1 of 5 on 5/2/2009 2:18:00 PM More reviews by ALF1969

Sorry Everyday Minerals! I think you are fab but your flocked sponge is rubbish! It is cheap, but also thin, flimsy and falls apart when you try and wash it. Alternatively the Jane Iredale sponges are fab. Good for those heavy coverage days.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2008 4:29:00 AM More reviews by aizacity

I have never used a flocked sponge prior to using EDM's version. I came about this item when I complained to EDM's customer service how their mineral foundation made my pores look even bigger than they already were. The associate on the other end suggested I use this to apply their Silk Dust (which thankfully I already had) BEFORE I apply the mineral foundation, kind of like a primer. And to my surprise it works, and it works like a dream! I pat the Silk Dust onto my humongous pores and they are blurred to my amazement! They're not completely invisible, but they're significantly hidden when I do this. I've placed an order for another pack and I will continue to buy this over and over again. It's thin yes, but I really could not care less for as long as it continues to what it does best which is hide my gigantic pores =)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2008 2:43:00 AM More reviews by nnana

Makes MMU application a lot easier, and I got great coverage with my EM foundations when I used this. Its pretty cheap, soft and doesn't come with any smell (I've tried flocked sponges that smelt funny and were such a turn-off) so yay for that. One downside though, it doesn't seem too durable - too thin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2008 4:09:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

The sponge is kind of flimsy though, wish it could be thicker, however I find a good use for it ... for those who complained about messy traveling with loose mineral powder. Just place the sponge over the sifter, it should fit snuggly in that compartment, screw close the lid. Voila, good for traveling, & if some powder came out, it will be retained on the sponge, good for press & blot during the day.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/29/2008 4:56:00 PM More reviews by emmy_nyc

I purchased the flocked sponge from EM about a month ago. When I first used the sponge, I thought it was the greatest thing...until it started to fall apart. I liked the flocked sponge that they had before. Just the other day I went to a local beauty supply store and found some flocked sponges that were $1.50 for a set of two. I find the sponges from the beauty supply store to be more fluffier and softer than EM.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2008 4:57:00 PM More reviews by brighid_karis

I recently started using these to apply my EM foundation, and I have to say I really like the results. It's more coverage than you'd tend to get with a kabuki or flat-top but with easier blending. You can use it wet or dry, and it doesn't take very long at all. Also, you can store it in the lid of your jar to help keep spillage down. I can see how many women are upset at the flimsiness, but at 3/$1, I don't mind too much. I have picked up a couple of thicker flocked sponges from my local Drug Emporium, and I'll update if I find they work as well or better. -- Update: Nope, they weren't as "fuzzy" as the EM ones and didn't do a good job of picking up or distributing the minerals. They were thicker and fit in the lid of the jars better, though, so I'm a bit disappointed.
Pros:
- cheap
- easier to get heavier coverage
- quicker, less messy application
- keeps all your makeup from spilling into the lid
Cons:
- not as durable as a brush, probably wouldn't stand up to too many washings
- much more difficult to get that no-makeup look - makes MMU look more like a traditional foundation
UPDATE: I don't really use these to apply my makeup anymore, as I just prefer the look I get with my EM long-handled kabuki. However, I've found that if I spritz a little of my Paula's Choice Skin Balancing toner on one of these, it makes an amazing blending tool for days when my skin is too dry for my foundation or if I apply too much MMU. The toner moisturizes a bit, while the slightly dampened sponge smoothes out the chalkiness.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2008 9:22:00 PM More reviews by dianaschu

I do like those, but not the new ones (the ones that cost 3 for $1) . I really miss their old style sponge, it was more expensive but thicker and sturdier and I think it gave a better finish. The new ones are just too flimsy. On the bright side, their shapes enables them to be stored inside a foundation jar on top of the sifter.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2008 9:35:00 PM More reviews by Juliansmomma

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

These are great. They're cheap and easy to use. When I need heavier coverage, I dab my sponge into the lid of my minerals and blot the powder on my face. I then smooth the powder downward, and out to the edges of my face. My husband's response? Wow. From a man that hates makeup on anyone.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2008 4:02:00 PM More reviews by vickybee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Who would have thought that a 33 cent product could give you the *best* MMU application ever? These sponges are quick and easy for moderate to heavy coverage. Not to mention CHEAP! You don't have powder flying everywhere either like when using a brush. In fact, I've swapped my kabuki brushes away. Just pick up some powder, pat around your face and blend. Perfection. Downside is that the sponges do not hold up well - I go through one sponge every 2 weeks with a washing after the first week. But for the price and performance I could care less! Try them on your next EM order (3/$1) and trust me, you will not be dissappointed!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2007 2:20:00 AM More reviews by moopsmcphee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I also love these sponges. They make application a breeze and leave a very natural look.