Philosophy The Present Clear Makeup

3.4

Water (aqua), Cyclomethicone, Behenyl Alcohol, Dimethiconol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Lysozyme, Sodium Citrate, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil (lavender), Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

on 7/23/2015 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this after hearing about all they hype. Turns out that it contains lavender oil which is known to cause skin-cell death, whether you see it or not. There are plenty of primers out there and this is one you should definitely skip on by. I will not repurchase.

on 7/7/2015 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I bought this after watching goss makeup rave review. Overall it is a good primer. I live in Texas and summers are intense. I have oily skin. The first time I used it I noticed after application and 3 minute wait that my skin did look matte, and primer works like glue. I did notice that I can get more wear before I start to show oil through my foundation. I have continued to use and now I notice that it does not keep my oils at bay any longer than my all time HG primer, Benefit Porefessional. I will experiment with it some more maybe in the fall and winter and see how it hold sup.

Pros:
Great packaging
smooth application
No odor
great for oily skin

Cons:
Pricey
not recommended for sensitive skin
Not a pore reducer or smoother

on 6/23/2015 8:48:00 AM

I bought this after watching Goss Makeup Artist on youtube. He went on about how good this stuff was. So I purchased this for about $50. Nope, it's not worth it. It's just a face cream. In fact my makeup goes on so much better without it. Why did he lie?

on 5/1/2015 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure

So I really wanted to give this primer a try after all the rave I've heard about it. It is a good primer I wasn't blown away on the way it hid your pores, because it really didn't. However, your makeup does stay on like crazy. It holds it into place and your will be going no where with this makeup.
The reason I'm giving this product a bad review is because It broke me out like crazy. If you have sensitive skin run far far away from this primer! As soon as I was in a little bit of sun my face was red and tons of pimples all over my face. It has taken about 2-3 weeks for my face to clear up. I have aside from the sensitivity, really clear skin but this primer was not at all my friend.

on 2/23/2015 3:25:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this after watching Goss Makeup Artists video claiming that it was the best primer ever... And I'd have to agree!!! I swear it's like they took glue and put it inside this bottle! I use it after my moisturizer and before my foundation (allowing 3 minutes in between like the directions say to) and it really works. with a lot of primers I don't see much of a difference, but this one does the trick. one time I wore it over night and woke up with my skin still looking the same & my mom even noticed then went out and bought herself a bottle. I think this product is underrated even though it is more on the pricey end. I recommend it to everyone!

on 2/12/2015 3:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is a nice primer. It helps the skin look more perfected. Sometimes I use it without any foundation because it makes the skin just look nice. Your pores are sort of minimized and your skin is smoother. But make sure you wait a few minutes before applying anything on top because otherwise it comes out kind of wonky. I wouldn't buy it again because it just doesn't do enough for my skin, especially for the price. I am still on the hunt for the HG primer. But I do recommend it if you just want slightly more perfected skin.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I use this as a primer. It doesn't do wonders for keeping oil at bay, but it doesn't enhance oiliness either. What it does do is makes my skin appear less flawed when wearing makeup. I can definitely tell when I forget to use this product or when I have to substitute it for another brand. This is the best primer I have found (better than addiction NV's babys butt and every single $42 Smashbox primer I have invested in (including the new pore minimizing one)). I have been using this for 10 years and finish every package while half empty Smashbox ones collect in my makeup box when I realize they don't measure up.

on 8/24/2014 8:03:00 PM

I had doubts purchasing this because it is expensive and never used Philosophy products before so this is my first product from them.

I don't like using foundation or having a lot of makeup. I prefer the natural look. My makeup routine before this was moisturizer and then subtle blush, concealer, and mascara. The Present is a great base for makeup and it's a wonderful product to use alone. I now apply this after my moisturizer. I let it dry for a few minutes while I get dressed or flat iron my hair. I never had problems applying it either,
A simple hand is all you need.

This dries and has a matte feel. It's not heavy. A little goes a long way. I prefer a pump dispenser with this because you can accidentally squirt too much into your hand. And for 30$, every ounce counts.

Bottom line is try this if you're into the natural look. It's great. I'm sure it's great when used under foundation, but that's not my makeup routine.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Once I let it dry on my face and put foundation on it leaves my face feeling amazingly smooth. It feels like I am not wearing much makeup, but I found out your foundation can't be too cakey. I use nearly naked by revlon and it works amazingly. I use this under my eyes to prime my concealer and it makes a HUGE difference on how it feels when I put it on. It just glides under my eyes and it makes it a smooth application. it makes my face very matte and does help with pores. However this does not make my makeup last, but it does not say that on packaging so they are not tricking you! This is literally meant to just prime your face and for that I love this product.

on 2/21/2014 11:38:00 AM

A lot of people seem to not like this primer but I LOVE IT. I have used Smashbox, Laura Mercier, Lancome, Sephora brand, Clarins, and drug store brands and I keep coming back to the Philosophy (most of those were samples).

The Good:
1) great matte coverage - sometimes I just wear this and no makeup
2) good at filling pores, smoothing lines
3) once dry, you don't have that slick/greasy feel

The Bad:
1) A pump would be better. Sometimes the product gunks up in the cap.
2) If this gets too hot, it will break down in to a watery mess. I left it in my suitcase, in the trunk, on a hot day and it was ruined.
3) You do have to wait 2-5 minutes after applying so there is that issue, but it's not a big deal to me. Also, you must use sparingly. Dumping it on is a big mistake.

I see other primers rated super high so I buy them or get a sample and the just don't compare. I know this doesn't work for everyone but it works for me!

Popular Primer/ Correctors