July 25, 2014 | 1756 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Philosophy - The Present Clear Makeup

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2014 11:38:00 AM More reviews by acxgal

A lot of people seem to not like this primer but I LOVE IT. I have used Smashbox, Laura Mercier, Lancome, Sephora brand, Clarins, and drug store brands and I keep coming back to the Philosophy (most of those were samples).

The Good:
1) great matte coverage - sometimes I just wear this and no makeup
2) good at filling pores, smoothing lines
3) once dry, you don't have that slick/greasy feel

The Bad:
1) A pump would be better. Sometimes the product gunks up in the cap.
2) If this gets too hot, it will break down in to a watery mess. I left it in my suitcase, in the trunk, on a hot day and it was ruined.
3) You do have to wait 2-5 minutes after applying so there is that issue, but it's not a big deal to me. Also, you must use sparingly. Dumping it on is a big mistake.

I see other primers rated super high so I buy them or get a sample and the just don't compare. I know this doesn't work for everyone but it works for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2014 5:27:00 PM More reviews by eeniemeenie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

This primer is good, I got it from my aunt, who uses everything QVC airs. I never thought to use this brand because I sorta wrote it off as a "mature" rand but I am happy she let me try this. I also want to try other products from this brand now.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2014 10:57:00 AM More reviews by rp1017

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Due to minor discolorations underneath my chin, I need primer which allows foundation to adhere better ..... I have used some great brands however, none were the best as each one performed well in one area and not another such as Hourglass is great if you are using a lighter foundation or BB cream and Mally is great if you are using a thicker foundation or concealer however, can look a little cakey ...... I was watching Youtube videos and came across Wayne Goss' review the Present primer and I took his recommendation and purchased this primer and could not be more pleased ..... I have been experimenting the last few days by using this primer with lighter formulas as well as heavier ones and this primer works the best ..... it works so well that I do not even need a setting powder as I have needed with other primers ...... I do not have an issue with the smell as it quickly disappears and I have used the directions to wait a full 5 minutes before using my foundation and it blends in seamlessly and truly looks natural (no dryness or cakiness) ..... although I have only used this product 5 days now it has fulfilled my expectations and I have to give it HG status already.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/8/2013 3:38:00 PM More reviews by AngleDoux

I have tried at least 10 different primers, and this is the worst by far. Worse than the absolute bottom-dollar drugstore goop. It felt like smearing Elmer's glue all over my face and shined like it, too. In fact, Elmer's glue would probably make a better peel-off mask than this product makes a primer. Took it promptly back to Sephora after one week of trying to love it, with a mouth and jawline full of acne to boot.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2013 11:48:00 PM More reviews by goodtiger

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Zits Galore! Not all silicone primers cause zits for me, but this one does.
Plus, the huge tube dispenses a crazy amount each time - a pump would be so much better. If I could use it. Back it goes for a refund.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2013 10:59:00 AM More reviews by saharanights

This is the best primer I have ever used! My foundation looks 100% improved with this underneath and makes me look like I just have naturally great super smooth skin! I applied a thin layer of this all over my face and then let it dry for a bit over 5 minutes then applied my liquid foundation with my fingers and the result is a flawless younger looking skin. I have a few freckles (not very bad) on my face that still shows through my foundation as it is very sheer foundation but with this on, it's like it does not even matter at all as my skin looks so glowy and youthful. This never happened to me before! The Present is definitely a holy grail primer for me.

My makeup looks as great at 10 in the morning til I take it off 10 at night. I do get a bit oily on my t-zone during the day but I use a blotter and my makeup doesn't get disturbed at all. Looks very fresh again after I blot.

If you apply a moisturizer before this, wait for like 5-10 minutes before applying this primer. I usually do that for each layer on my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/4/2013 9:22:00 AM More reviews by Cherishedadvice

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First things first, you must wait at least 5 minutes after applying a Pea size amount of this primer before putting on your foundation. You also have to pat it into the skin. I usually get dressed while its drying and by then I'm ready to apply my MUFE matte velvet or Revlon Colorstay with my flat kabuki brush. This primer is ok. I hate the smell, and this stuff is nothing like YouTube guru gossmakeupartist was raving about. I'm still looking for a good primer but I can make this work while I have it. I bought mine from ebay, but I recommend getting from Sephora so you can get your money back incase you don't like it. Also, I had no reactions to this primer.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/24/2013 8:13:00 AM More reviews by hanabi318

This primer has a different consistency to most primers I've tested, it's not the silicone feeling primer. It felt thick and tacky upon application and took a while to settle before foundation can be applied over. Because it's tacky on my skin, powder foundation went on blotchy. When I used cream or liquid foundation, it seemed to lift and rub off the primer off of my skin...looks like the residue when you use an eraser. It didn't do anything for me, one less useless product in my routine.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/2/2013 10:32:00 AM More reviews by JenTiffany

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The ingredients have changed! I'm very sad to say that when I first started using this product, it was the be-all, end-all of primers for my oily, acne prone skin. The smell was lovely because it had natural lavender in it. The texture was thick and creamy like a moisturizer but went on very light, not greasy in the least. Well, ladies, the formulation for this product has changed. I've compared the ingredients and they're definitely different. They're not drastically different, but enough apparently to have ruined this product for me.

First of all, it still smells like lavender...sort of. There's something else there that keeps it from smelling as nice as it did before.

Second of all, the texture is WAAAY different. It goes on very slippery and oily feeling (even though it's oil free). Kind of like a personal lubricant. It doesn't soak in or evaporate. If you leave it on longer than 2 minutes the greasy feeling will go away a bit. But the texture is not very nice to put on your face.

Thirdly, I've given this a good run. Probably used about a third of the bottle, in hopes that it was just my imagination fooling me into thinking it wasn't working as well. Well, I'm sorry to say that it doesn't hold my makeup in place the way the old formulation used to. My foundation (Makeup Forever HD) seems to go on exactly the same with or without it. If it lasts longer with the primer, it's not much longer. By the time I leave work after an 8 hour shift, my foundation is slipping and sliding all over my oily face. Which all of you oily-skinned folks know, that means it just comes off. I use Lorac's pressed wet/dry powder and that works pretty well at replacing some of the lost coverage throughout the day. Even if I blot the oil from my face, the foundation just doesn't stay put. Within 2-3 hours, I can already see the foundation separating around my pores on my nose as the oil starts to seep through. Not pleasant.

Lastly, my face is breaking out like crazy and until I read the other reviews on how the formulation has changed and is breaking people out, I hadn't put two and two together yet. Well, I'll be stopping this one altogether to see if it clears up.

I'm very disappointed in Philosophy. I have such oily skin that a primer is an absolute must for me if I want more than an hour out of my foundation (and since I have adult acne too, foundation is a necessity). Before, I would have said I would never need to hunt for a primer again. Well they've gone and screwed it up. Now I have to start over in my search for something to make my makeup last longer.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/30/2013 12:23:00 AM More reviews by Ha77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have to admit I loved this product when I first bought it. I I have great skin for my age, but thought I use this to hide any large pores and fine lines. (Ok, I'll admit it: I was feeling a little "not good enough" due to relationship issues.) It goes on easily and smoothly, it really did hide any fine lines I have, especially around my eyes. I have very sensitive skin and this product did not irritate me or break me out. It was working perfectly until I went out one night. I went to a birthday party for my co-workers girlfriend, spent a lot of time hanging out in the garage then the wives and I decided to hit the dance floor. There was a black light and lo a behold my face was glowing in the light!! I then went back and looked at any picture I had taken since I bought the primer and sure enough I had a visible white, powdery looking mask present in all of them. The product doesn't look that way in natural or lamp light but bright light, like flashes. So I stopped using it for about a month. I went to use it again for a daytime wedding and the entire tube was a separated watery mess. I could not get it to go back together at all. I ended up throwing the half full bottle out. Such a waste of money. I love this brand and this is the only product I have ever had separate.
Update: I forgot to mention that although it hid fine lines, I didn't notice any difference in how long my makeup lasted throughout the day.