August 22, 2014 | 1242 users online

Lotions/ Creams - L'Occitane - Mom and Baby Balm

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2013 2:59:00 PM More reviews by alina08

I am not a mother, but I do get my fair share of dry winter skin and decided to try this very natural product. I like to smooth this cream on over dry skin or over irritated pimples after I put on some acne cream. I love the smell of this product. The consistency is a little bit greasy, as some other reviewers mention, but I do not think that detracts from the efficacy of the product. I think the price is unjustifiable (at $20 a container, the main ingredient should not be coconut oil). The packaging and portability of the product both add to the value, however. Overall, I was satisfied with my purchase, but I think there are equally effective creams and ointments out there for less than half the price. That being said, if you have extremely sensitive or irritable skin, I would use this cream as a safe bet. Everything is organic or natural and the cream itself is very mild.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2012 8:18:00 AM More reviews by CharismaSL

I had bought this inititally for my baby. I tried it on his face and hands because they were super dry and red due to his constant drooling because of teething. I put it on at night for a few days but found it lacking in moisture. My poor baby was still dry (not as dry as before but still dry and flaky, then i used Vaseline and in one night my baby's skin returned to normal). That being said, I no longer use this for my baby but i do use it on myself - hands mostly. I will admit i love the texture of this balm and the fact that it has no smell. I also love the fact that its full of goodness and no preservatives. The consistency is less thicker than what I would imagine a 'balm' to be but i like that because there is no warming up needed before application. It doesn't feel greasy at all and sinks into my skin right away. The packaging is a screw top aluminum tin which looks so classy and luxurious. I wouldn't repurchase beacuse it is not moisturizing enough.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2011 2:53:00 AM More reviews by Gingerbelle8

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I originally purchased this for my pregnant belly and perhaps as a baby bum balm for afterwards. I am so glad I got this!!! I slathered it religiously twice a day all over my belly right til after birth and I got no stretch marks!!! I am prone to stretch marks because I have them all over my bum and thighs from growing too fast and gaining weight as a teen. I found I got stretch marks where I didn't use this; behind my knees and between my bum cheeks. I swelled everywhere so naturally my skin puffed out. I don't know if this would work for anyone else the same way but I do know it worked wonders for my belly!! I made sure I rubbed it in really well all over and it melts right in. It sure is greasy but I didn't care. Most other products had too much fragrance and preservatives. This is organic and contains none of that junk. The jar would've lasted me the whole pregnancy. In fact I still have some leftover. Since it is organic it expires sooner than conventional products. I will definitely be purchasing it again for my next pregnancy!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2011 6:32:00 AM More reviews by loveoverload

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The balm itself is ok, moisturizing and made my skin soft. However, even though it is fragrance free it has that smell to it, I don't know if it's cos of the Shea butter or what but the smell faintly reminds me of cardboard boxes and .... wet wool I guess?

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2010 8:52:00 AM More reviews by valentineshigh

this is my 'everything balm' - i carry it around with me because its so multi-purpose. it works as a lip balm, a quick moisturiser, even an emergency hair product! at home, i actually use it for facial massages because its safe enough for baby skin, and therefore my face too. it is super greasy but its a balm, what do you expect? haha
the SA told me it was more economical to buy the larger version but because i wanted to be able to carry it around with me, i bought the smaller compact size. plus i only use a tiny amount each time so im sure if i bought the larger size now, id still be using it by the time im in my deathbed! i guess how you rate this product depends on what you use it for. for the reasons i use this balm, i think it works fantastically and i will purchase again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2009 1:54:00 PM More reviews by macalcia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I found it a little disappointing. It has a good texture, very greasy, as you expect a balm to be, but it didn't moisturize enough the dry skin on my heels and elbows. Maybe it's better suited for babies, anyway.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2008 8:55:00 PM More reviews by skinnut

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

WORKS. this balm is fragrant, colorant and preservative free. i have eczema on my elbows with an itch that i've not been able to stop with anything i've tried. i put it on as a sa was selling this product to me and walked out of the store. went back after two hours when i noticed that i was reaching for my now "soft and moisturized" elbows out of habit. i was so impressed i went back to the store and bought this and their whole new line for baby. i have an 8 mo old who developed a face rash and eczema on random parts of his body about 2 mos ago. he was just miserable and i tried and returned sooo many products! i use this with the new baby line of animal shaped shea soaps, body cream and spray for hair and body. i'm happy to report that effects were immediate. eczema and rash are GONE. no redness, flakes or itchies. plus he smells just DELICIOUS! i also use this as a diaper cream after baths and during changes. AND i'm also using this for my face - the animal shea soaps and this balm. this leaves the skin so soft and moisturized and sinks right in. NO GREASINESS whatsoever. simply fabulous! you gotta get it! ( i use the shea soap for hair too - mine, baby and older kids, 6 and 3) great packaging - in a screw top aluminum tin. price is perfect considering that i can use it for the whole family.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2008 1:10:00 AM More reviews by teisha

This is the best balm/mosituriser I have tried for my 18 month old. She has sensitive skin and it became worse when she was teething (rash under mouth). I tried this balm and it cleared up her skin and she looks so radiant and perfect. Everyone comments on what beautiful skin she has but I normally keep this little balm as our secret :)
Really great to use when going through the teething/drooling stage. I have used nothing else on her face for about 14 months now and will continue to use as long as it is for sale.
A big thumbs up!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2007 4:25:00 AM More reviews by littlelamb

This balm by L'Occitane is much silkier and more spreadable than the Shea Butters. Since I became pregnant, every evening after my bath or shower I smother myself in a lightweight moisturizing oil or moisturizer, then massage this balm over my belly. It feels luxuriously soft and luscious, and is a real pampering treat for me and my growing bump. I shall update later on to see whether this has helped prevent stretchmnarks (however, given that they're also down to genetics this might not be a valid review for those, but we'll see how I get on!). Comes in a lovely vintage style aluminium tin with loads of product (150ml), and you only need a tiny bit each time. It's fragrance-free but I can detect a very soft and gentle scent from the oils (although I can't tell what it is). Costs GBP23 from UK stores.
UPDATE: Unfortunately I got stretchmarks from my pregnany - and quite a few too! I still find this a luxury to use and carry a travel sized tin with me for DD (I rub a little into her hairline to prevent cradle cap).

Ingredients: COCOS NUCIFERIA (COCONUT OIL), BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA BUTTER), VITIS VINEFERA (GRAPE) SEED OIL, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL, AVENA SATIVA (OAT) KERNEL FLOUR, HELIANTHUS ANNUSS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL, BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA BUTTER) EXTRACT, TOCOPHEROL, ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEMARY) LEAF EXTRACT, CALENDULA OFFICINALIS FLOWER EXTRACT.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2007 4:17:00 PM More reviews by dictatorprincess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Not a mom...or a baby...but as I have uber sensitive skin I am always on the troll for new stuff. This is a decent, "correct" body balm which has not caused me problems anywhere, and I have used it on lips, face, feet, elbows, knees. I have also used it as a massage cream. I like how this has a screw top rather than the tab mechanism of their shea butters. It's just missing something to make me fall in love with it- I'm just as sorted with plain shea butter. This is by no means a bad product, but not my one true love the way California Baby's balm is (and I bought this first). I would buy again for a baby present for someone, but for myself...not sure. I find this product only average, especially for what you pay for it. One plus is that compared to a lot of L'Occitane products, this is one of the few truly natural ones in their line- this is chock full of goodies.