Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel

3.8

Ingredients: Aqua (Water,Eau),Glycerin,Propylene Glycol,PEG-8 Stearate,PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl Cocamide,Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract,Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract,Carbomer,Sodium Chloride,Parfum (Fragrance),Phenoxyethanol,Methylparaben,Propylparaben,Triethanolamine,Diazolidinyl Urea,Mica,CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide),CI 19140 (Yellow 5),CI 42090 (Blue 1),CI 15985 (Yellow 6)(4/26/2015)

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

So I got this thinking it'd be fabulous and but mega good for my blemishes that I have from my acne.

Oh how wrong I was. It smells nice, makes your skin feel soft, convinces you it might actually be exfoliating your skin with all the naturally exfoliating ingredients.

However I started getting massive cystic bumps under my skin, under my eyebrows, on my neck, my pores on my nose and around my t-zone enlarged and filled themselves with dirt and I was like ????? what why is this happening? Is it my make up (I've been using the same products for years however), is it my other skincare (which are mostly my HG products) or is it just hormones (cause hormonal acne and all). Anyway i discontinued use of this because i suspected it was and all the break outs stopped now I'm just left with awful hyper pigmentation and pores that are bit awful.

Use this with caution, what doesn't work for one person may work for another. This product just felt like a glorified pore blocker.

Bought this on a whim after trying the carnation and rice oil cleansing milk on him (which I also did a review on) and after learning how much I loved that cleanser I went onto the Mario Badescu website to read about the other products they had to offer. I read that this cleanser was one of their best sellers and also suitable for all skin types. It states that it is and AHA based cleanser, meant to exfoliate the dull surface of the skin and is meant to reveal a more bright complexion. Honestly, while all that sounded great, how many of other skin care lines make desirable claims in order to sell product? I thought I'd give it a shot since I loved his other cleanser I used and to see how it would go, but without being naive to the hype or claims...

My first time using I wasn't so impressed, to be honest. I thought it smelled very fragrant and floral. Mind you, I have combination, sensitive, acne-prone skin due to reaction to products. So I thought the fragrance would be an issue, instantly. I also felt a slight, not harsh, but slight tingle and burn. I thought this was my skin reacting to what seemed like the over-powering scent. I splashed clean my face, toned, moisturized and went about my skincare for a week and a half it's been now since I started using this product and it was about three days ago I looked at a video of myself without make up and I realized that the center of my face was really brighter! Not only in appearance, but my acne scarring and sun spots seem to be fading. My break out zones also clearing up and looking brighter as well. Skin overall in better condition and seems to be liking this cleanser. The texture is gel like and almost has a slick, removing texture to it. You can almost feel how it would peel away at the dull, dead skin without abrasive granules that can agitate skin like mine. I didn't rate this to be a five because I am still experimenting and still "dealing" with the added fragrance and dyes, but so far it's a great and one of the best cleansers I've ever used. It's also the only cleanser that has not only cleaned my skin, but improved the quality of it.

I bought this along with many other Mario Badescu products because I was wanting to find a relatively cheaper brand than the Dermalogica brand that I've been using from Ulta. I also wanted something that worked just as powerful. However, this cleansing gel did not help my skin at all. Each night of using it, I found more and more pimples. Then, when the cystic acne started to show up I ran back to Ulta desperate for another product to help me. They pointed me to using Mario Badescu's Buffering Lotion and Drying Lotion. They told me that along with the Enzyme Cleansing Gel, which was in their perspective making the bad acne come to the surface of my skin to purify my skin, this all would control the acne that I was now dealing with. Trusting them, I used all of the products and then the acne got worse, especially the cystic acne. I hadn't deal with this since being a teenager and especially since using Dermalogica. The pimples on my face were hurting and very painful. I have combination dry skin and although the enzyme cleansing gel was not drying my skin out, which was the only thing good about this product, it was not thoroughly cleaning my skin, which caused bad bacteria to build up in my skin. Along with these products mentioned, I also bought the Mario Badecu Vitamin C moisturizer which sat on top of my skin and did not penetrate into my skin to nourish it. I don't suggest this product line to anyone. I have to now recover my face. I just returned all of the MB products and bought again the dermalogica products again. This morning my skin felt great and for the first time in about 2 weeks, I woke up with no new pimples and the pimples I have now that was from using the MB products have drastically gone down and stopped growing. This was my fault ultimately for not listening to my skin the time that I went back to ask the workers at Ulta about what's happening to my skin after using the enzyme cleanser, but I wanted others to know about what happened to me. This may not be the case for others, but for me, this has been the worst experience with any product line.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

There are mixed reviews on this item - lack of the foaming quality or slickness after wash, a residual "film", doesn't clean off makeup properly.

Perhaps i belong to this part in Asia where we do double cleansing, ie. removal of makeup with cleansing oils, biphase removers, milk etc before the usual facial wash - I find this cleanser a exquisitely gentle, nurturing, mild and effective cleanser. The effectiveness of this boils down to your regular routine.

Granted there's no foam or a slick afterfeel, my skin is left comfortable, breathing and incredibly soft with a slight glow. I attribute that to the lack of lather and film left on my skin.

I do feel the need to wash my face twice sometimes, though once is always enough with a cleansing cloth/sponge, the floral scent is old-school and pleasing to the senses without drying my dehydrated skin out. My skin is also noticeably less congested.

Bought at a whim, but will repurchase.

It's green! And it's non-foaming! Those were my first impressions when I first used this a good 8 years ago. I discovered Mario Badescu skincare by chance via Beauty Bay and I was suffering from a bad bout of breakouts, and obviously I was desperate to try anything.

This did not irritate my already angry skin further, smells rather pleasant but the texture did take some getting used to. I used to worry my skin wasn't "clean" enough, but don't let this stop you from using this product as it does clean and exfoliate very gently without any abrasive, scrubby bits.

I have since moved on to other cleansers but this always hold a special place in my heart as it did help get rid of the breakouts.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

This product is now part of my regimen and although it's not the most effective product, I can't see myself doing without it.

It doesn't offer a deep cleanse, I have quite oily skin so using the cleansing gel on its own is ineffective.

I use St Ives Blemish Fighting Scrub before I use the cleansing gel and the Scrub really cleanses my skin while the Enzyme Cleansing Gel soothes and nourishes my skin so it feels luscious and it glows after so yay.

Love this cleanser I introduce everyone to it - but most of marios products do
I have normal to oil skin and use this everyday with a clarisonic and my skin has never looked better, it has a youthful glow, I hardly get break outs and my makeup applies flawlessly !

I introduced my sister to it who has overly sensitive skin with mild acne and it has helped to minimise her acne and she did not have a reaction to it !

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This didn't irritate my super sensitive skin. It's not drying at all and made my skin feel soft. However, it really stung my eyes...be careful! It's good for morning use when you need something really gentle, but at night it's kinda hard to take off make up with it. The scent is not bad, and the price is good. I didn't really like the bottle and would much prefer a pump. Overall, it's a good gently cleanser, but I stopped using it because it wasn't cleaning my skin well enough when I wear makeup.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Wanted so badly to like this more. I have tried a few other MB products and had no problem with them, but this gel cleanser is too drying for my mature skin. My face feels tight and dry after using it, and it has a slight stinging sensation. I may be too old for AHA cleansers (I also use a Vitamin C ester serum), or it just may be too drying for me. For younger skins, this may work very well. The fragrance, while not unpleasant, is a bit too strong for me.

A very gentle cleanser that i'd thought I should try out because it might help to just cleanse and maybe sooth my combination/recently-misbehaving-around-the-forehead skin.

Turns out it was wayyyyy too gentle and didn't even do anything.

A lot of people have been saying that it leaves a slight film, and I can feel what they mean. However, I just ignored it and carried on with my other two baes, toner and moisturiser. My skin was perfectly fine, but I didn't really see any "brightening action" going on, even though the fruit acids are supposed to like make you looky glowy and all.

The scent was strange and very artificially floral/grass like, but I go used to it.

And it certainly didn't clear any pimples up. Going to go try a more brutal scrub now, I think...