April 17, 2014 | 1468 users online

Eye Shadow - E.L.F. - Brightening Eye Color

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 2/10/2014 5:47:00 AM More reviews by aknakano

I'm a little torn on this. These seem to be very hit or miss. I have this in Butternut and Hazy Hazel. I had pretty different experiences with the two, so I'll break down.

Hazy Hazel: My least favorite of almost all the eye products I own. From left to right, (by appearance in the pan) there is a matte brown, shimmery light peach-like color, shimmery violet, shimmery gold. I was hoping the left-most color would be a nice matte medium brown, but it is so hard that I can barely get any product on an applicator (I tried both a brush and foam applicator). On the other hand, the other three are so powdery! Their color payoff is next to nothing. I tried swatching with primer underneath, and it does help but there some powder cast off to the side of my arm, which means there will likely be fallout.

Butternut: Much better. From left to right: a light shimmery golden-toned highlighter, a orange/peachy color, a dark satin brown, medium satin brown. To echo one of the other reviews, the dark colors go on much more nicely than the lighter two. My favorite color of these four was the medium satin brown, which I would use with a Maybelline taupe color for a natural, everyday look. Unfortunately it broke during travel (it was on a plane so I don't really blame the product or packaging for this). The dark brown was nice for setting dark brown eyeliner and blending with the medium shade. The other two... I'm not sure what to do with these. The left most light shade is generally too shimmery and light as a highlighter for my taste; I did use it for a stretch as a highlighter against a simple golden color, so I have finally used a good portion of it. I have never really found a good use for the peachy color. To me, it was just a strange addition to this quad because its so peachy but the browns are quite warm.

All in all, I would repurchase the two brown shades from the Butternut quad, but nothing else. (Does anyone know the equivalent singles? Are there Studio versions?)

rated 2 of 5 on 2/5/2014 9:30:00 AM More reviews by ksidrah

The packaging was awful. Not only did it break but so did the eyeshadow break. To be fair, my sister got this palette as a gift in "Silver Lining" and the colors are good but the quality isn't. You can put tons of primer on yet it'll still look like crap :/

rated 3 of 5 on 2/5/2014 3:19:00 AM More reviews by Lr1336

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

The pigmentation is only good for the lighter colors. For the darker ones, it is barely noticable. I only like it because the light colors make good highlighters and last the entire day.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/9/2013 3:31:00 PM More reviews by Nitala

I used these a lot when I was just getting into eyeshadow and needed the practice. For $1, it was very well worth it for that price.

Now that I'm a bit better, I don't find myself reaching for these quite as often. HOWEVER, the bolder colours look really good with a primer or base. I tried the blue eyeshadow from "Punk Funk" and it was very lovely. I would never spend a ton of money on a colour I rarely use so e.l.f. is also good for that purpose, particularly during Halloween.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/10/2013 8:12:00 PM More reviews by Demureinaka

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The pigment is just bad really bad. Unless your going for the darker if the shades the other colors never show up much. 1 dollar would be nice if it had some pigment.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/9/2013 1:21:00 AM More reviews by Moaner

Poor pigmentation. Not even really worth the $1 that they cost. Too bad cause the colors are really pretty!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2013 11:37:00 PM More reviews by heysara

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

In this situation, you get what you pay for. The prize is amazing. I believe I got this is 'butternut' for only $2, which is pretty good. Obviously, like the majority of e.l.f. products, it's cheap and is most likely best for beginners. I thought the pigmentation was pretty decent and it lasted for a couple of hours without a primer/base. The colouring though is really nice and most shimmery colours put me off but it only has subtle shimmer in it which is pretty. I don't think I will buy another eye shadow from e.l.f. only because I want to experiment with other brands. But for a beginner or if your just experimenting I think this is pretty good considering the low price.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2013 1:56:00 PM More reviews by sbt1218

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have this in butternut and I LOVE it! The shimmer last all day and on top of my gold colored eyeshadow primer it is fabulous!! People ask me what eyeshadow I'm wearing and their jaws drop when I tell them that it cost me $1!!!! Now I cant say the look is as great without my gold underneath because I haven't gone without it. Overall: Great product and price!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/10/2013 8:12:00 PM More reviews by ivycasull

I bought this in brownstone and butternut and I totally loved the colours. But I found the formula to be EXTREMELY chalky. There was also close to no pigmentation. The worst thing was that they creased like mad. It still creased even after I applied UDPP. So definitely not repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2013 4:00:00 PM More reviews by kristina93

These quads are so nice and the quality isn't that bad. For the price, they're decently pigmented and I love the shade range! I have the Day 2 Night one and I think the shades are amazing, all go well together and are good for (as the name would suggest) day or night!! I like that they're small and don't take up like any space in your bag!