E.L.F. Brightening Eye Color

3.2

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have these in Luxe, Brownstone, Nouveau Neutrals, and Silver Lining. I like the color payoff and texture of these eye shadows better than I have liked the other e.l.f. eyeshadow palettes that I've had. These apply pretty well with the sponge applicators they come with (which are surprising soft and gentle on the eye). I wish the balance of finishes in these palettes were better. Nouveau Neutrals has some beautiful shades but 3 are glittery while the last one is kind of shimmery; no matte shades. Not all of these little palettes are like that, but I think the balance could be better. Also, what is up with the triangular shape of the pans? It makes it a little difficult to get the product out after you've used up the middle of the pan. If they changed the shape of the pan to any other shape: rectangle, square or circle...that would be great.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

e.l.f. Essential Brightening Eye Color quads are a decent. I can't really complain about $1 eye shadow quads, you know? What this is, is a 4 color quad with shades that match up & allow you to create a natural/daytime or a dramatic/nighttime look. I like & dislike these equally. I like them enough; because I am just a college student & don't need my eye shadow to last all day & all night, I tolerate them.

The two I have are Drama & Silver Lining, which are both more dramatic than natural. Drama contains a matte white, & shimmery grey, black, & silver. Silver Lining contains a shimmery tan/nude, purple, brownish-grey, & pink.

I don't think they're the best if you have oily skin like me. They don't last too long! The problem I had with the eye shadow was creasing since my skin is oily. Priming does not help! I wouldn't say the color wears off easily, but it does fade. The major issue I have with these shadows are how different each is from the next. For example, two shades that complement one another might not look good together because one is pigmented & the other isn't. Some are powdery & others are chalky, too.

If you're just starting out wearing makeup, these would probably be great to pick up & try out because they're cheap & have an awesome color range. I would not recommend wearing them for more than a few hours (college classes, lunch date, shopping, etc.). I do, however, think I'd buy their natural/neutral quads though— Brownstone, Butternut, Ethereal, Luxe, & Noveau Neutrals.

All colors: Blue Moon, Brownstone, Butternut, Day 2 Night, Drama, Ethereal, Glam, Hazy Hazel, Ivy, Luxe, Matte Mauve (Matte), Noveau Neutrals, Nymph Dreams, Ocean Dreams, Pretty N Pink, Punk Funk, Rocker, Silver Lining, & Teal Dream.

on 1/5/2015 7:01:00 PM

These are currently my favorite eyeshadows! I always use them wet to get the best color payoff and I use an eyeshadow brush, not the tiny little applicator that comes with it. Color stays all day and no creases! Yea!

on 2/10/2014 5:47:00 AM

I'm a little torn on this. These seem to be very hit or miss. I have this in Butternut and Hazy Hazel. I had pretty different experiences with the two, so I'll break down.

Hazy Hazel: My least favorite of almost all the eye products I own. From left to right, (by appearance in the pan) there is a matte brown, shimmery light peach-like color, shimmery violet, shimmery gold. I was hoping the left-most color would be a nice matte medium brown, but it is so hard that I can barely get any product on an applicator (I tried both a brush and foam applicator). On the other hand, the other three are so powdery! Their color payoff is next to nothing. I tried swatching with primer underneath, and it does help but there some powder cast off to the side of my arm, which means there will likely be fallout.

Butternut: Much better. From left to right: a light shimmery golden-toned highlighter, a orange/peachy color, a dark satin brown, medium satin brown. To echo one of the other reviews, the dark colors go on much more nicely than the lighter two. My favorite color of these four was the medium satin brown, which I would use with a Maybelline taupe color for a natural, everyday look. Unfortunately it broke during travel (it was on a plane so I don't really blame the product or packaging for this). The dark brown was nice for setting dark brown eyeliner and blending with the medium shade. The other two... I'm not sure what to do with these. The left most light shade is generally too shimmery and light as a highlighter for my taste; I did use it for a stretch as a highlighter against a simple golden color, so I have finally used a good portion of it. I have never really found a good use for the peachy color. To me, it was just a strange addition to this quad because its so peachy but the browns are quite warm.

All in all, I would repurchase the two brown shades from the Butternut quad, but nothing else. (Does anyone know the equivalent singles? Are there Studio versions?)

on 2/5/2014 9:30:00 AM

The packaging was awful. Not only did it break but so did the eyeshadow break. To be fair, my sister got this palette as a gift in "Silver Lining" and the colors are good but the quality isn't. You can put tons of primer on yet it'll still look like crap :/

on 2/5/2014 3:19:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

The pigmentation is only good for the lighter colors. For the darker ones, it is barely noticable. I only like it because the light colors make good highlighters and last the entire day.

on 10/9/2013 3:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I used these a lot when I was just getting into eyeshadow and needed the practice. For $1, it was very well worth it for that price.

Now that I'm a bit better, I don't find myself reaching for these quite as often. HOWEVER, the bolder colours look really good with a primer or base. I tried the blue eyeshadow from "Punk Funk" and it was very lovely. I would never spend a ton of money on a colour I rarely use so e.l.f. is also good for that purpose, particularly during Halloween.

on 8/10/2013 8:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

The pigment is just bad really bad. Unless your going for the darker if the shades the other colors never show up much. 1 dollar would be nice if it had some pigment.

on 8/9/2013 1:21:00 AM

Poor pigmentation. Not even really worth the $1 that they cost. Too bad cause the colors are really pretty!

on 5/23/2013 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

In this situation, you get what you pay for. The prize is amazing. I believe I got this is 'butternut' for only $2, which is pretty good. Obviously, like the majority of e.l.f. products, it's cheap and is most likely best for beginners. I thought the pigmentation was pretty decent and it lasted for a couple of hours without a primer/base. The colouring though is really nice and most shimmery colours put me off but it only has subtle shimmer in it which is pretty. I don't think I will buy another eye shadow from e.l.f. only because I want to experiment with other brands. But for a beginner or if your just experimenting I think this is pretty good considering the low price.