July 22, 2014 | 1042 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Tom Ford Black Orchid

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2014 7:17:00 AM More reviews by ImmiMUA

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love it! This is a strong, sexy perfume. It has a great staying power.

It's a little too intense for the daytime or work.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2013 12:59:00 PM More reviews by caseymac2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow. I was taken aback when I first smelled it in the store aisle. But then, give it a few minutes and WOW again: I love it! I have heard many people say it smells like sweaty crotch or mushrooms, but I only smell a full enchanting not too sweet deep forest chocolate spice. And yes, I DO get compliments on it! Lasting power-- 6-8 hours. Yes, it is spendy, but it is like a new pair of downhill skis -- very exciting to put on! My other favorite scent is classic Chanel no 5. I consider Black Orchid to be its bad girl partner! They are now sitting happily together on my perfume shelf: Classic Queen and Black Goddess!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2012 8:16:00 AM More reviews by Kysyona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I urge those, who call it sex in a bottle ( and like it ) - try Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood or Kingdom by McQueen: ( with Kingdom you literally feel it's having you against a wall: I am so speechless it'll probably take me months to come up with a comprehensive review! ). Tom Ford's Black Orchid is a late hour seduction game with a reverse sex roleplay. It's a thick liquoir of dark berries, liquorice and the indestructable olfactory champion ylang-ylang ( that's the most frequent cause of headaches in perfumes by the way, so test before buying, if you are prone to face-numbing migranes! ). Yes, it is an odd kid on the block among thousands patchouly-phobic florals out there, and it is the most obvious unisex /bisexual perfume I have ever smelled: the stage is totally feminine with all the heavy florals, but the vetiver stands there in the center and it is very much a boyish figure! - the sugar somehow just didn't quite fuse with it here. I would call it the Marlene Dietrich of all perfumes: it is neither of the sexes, yet very attractive to both. My husband sniffed it at a local drugstore on my recomendation and said: "I wouldn't mind wearing it myself!" Considering he is open to experiments and happened to play for "the other team" in his distant youth, this did not surprise me in the least. And since I occasionally find other women attractive, I guess it also explains why I like Black Orchid's double nature. For me this is THE perfume to wear with a black tuxedo on a naked body with hair swept back in a sleek bun and red lipstik burning on the lips. Kim Basinger turning up in front of Rourke, wearing a suit with a fake moustache in 9 1/2 weeks is this scent's ideal visual portrait. The only "wrong" thing with it is that it lacks dryness. This could have been a sensation, if it had had more "dry wine and powder" in it and less obvious modern "moisture".

12 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2012 9:43:00 PM More reviews by stls

Black Orchid is a weird sneaky creation. It shouldn't be sold as a perfume but as a magic potion. If Black Orchid can't make you feel confident I can't imagine what could.

It starts with a strong grand entrance and a lot of drama. Right on the borderline between rocking your world in the most amazing way and hunting you like the devil himself. If you don't like this stage you'd better run and hide because there's no turning back. It will fill the room immediately and then stay strong on your skin for 12+ hours. I've warned you, it's a stubborn evil thing. Upon application there's no way to ignore it, it will definitely mess with your mind. If that's a good or a bad thing depends on your personality and preferences. By the way, speaking about personality, Black Orchid has loads of it. Try to find a similar scent and I guarantee, you won't be able. Because it plays on it's own league.

Anyway, back to the scent. First act: top notes. Anafi lemon, bergamot, ylang- ylang, gardenia, jasmine, tuber, black currant and mandarin orange.
Second act: middle notes. Orchid, lotus, fruity notes and spices.
Third act: base notes. Vetiver, sandalwood, patchouli, amber, incense, vanilla and chocolate.
Each one of them is present. Each one is potent. But the most prominent on me are chocolate, gardenia and vetiver.

I have to add: please, no more than a single spray. A second one and you're looking for serious trouble like a day long headache or suffocating people.
This scent is for strong characters. Women or men. Can be loved or hated to death. It's deep, dark, mysterious, opulent, dense, bold, voluptuous, extravagant, over the top, edgy, dominating. A secret weapon. The black art deco bottle fits the juice pretty well. Use with caution - you won't be able to pass unnoticed even if you try to.

Edit: I forgot to mention an important fact. The epilogue is quite different from the start. To my nose it has morphed to a totally unisex ''oceanic gourmand'', it must be the stand out vetiver. I have to admit I don't find it breathtaking as the beginning, but that's what makes it more wearable, beyond gender orientations and more addictive to me. I find myself hopelessly wanting to spray one more time after it fades to experience the fascination of the start. One more tome... One more time...

One last thing: it is a complex creation and challenging. BUT body chemistry has a lot to do with this one. On some skins many notes may not show up, most of the times the spices. So, lots of people describe it as fruity chocolate/ after eight kind of thing etc and don't get what all the fuss is about.
Worth a try to see what Black Orchid can do for yourself!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2012 2:38:00 PM More reviews by Mathou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Oh my..... This is the best parfume I have ever bought. EVER. And I am the biggest parfume freak I know - I have around 100 different bottles no kidding! I always buys parfumes but I have never used one up. It's a curse. But TF Black Orchid had a totally different effect on me - I went to Sephora and told myself "Malou, do not buy this one. You just bought a new Dior Miss Cherie 100ml EDP yesterday and you don't need another one" but when I tried it on I couldn't resist. I simply couldn't...

The smell is amazing and sooo soft and deep! At first it's a bit heavy but as it melts into your skin it gets soooo intense and so sexy. I've never been this happy with a scent before and I ended up buying the 100ml as I knew TF-BO would be my new scent!

If I could rate this any higher I would. It is soooo good and I got so many compliments while wearing this. It is amazing. I love it. I'm going to buy the 30ml to keep in my bag as all fragrances tend to last very short on my skin.. I applied it three hours ago and it still smells very nice but very little.

Did I mention that I love this???

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2011 7:49:00 PM More reviews by tyleka

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I ordered a decant of this from the Perfumed Court. On me, it smells like a burst of Aqua Net with a dry down of fake melons. I don't get any of the dark sexiness others describe. At first, I thought I had received the wrong thing, but mine arrived damaged (leaked) and the replacement they sent smells exactly the same.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2011 11:48:00 PM More reviews by kmart12

This wont be your daily go-to scent. It is far too dark, spicy, & complex for that. I only reach for this beautiful bottle on nights when I am feeling confident, strong, and naughty. It is a rather divisive scent. I first whiffed this perfume at a Sephora store; I immediately fell in LOVE with it, whereas my cousins both cringed. To list the various notes in Black Orchid truly wouldn't help you much; you must go smell it for yourself in order to discover whether this fragrance is meant to rest upon your skin <3

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2011 3:32:00 PM More reviews by lklauba

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got a sample of this from Sephora and like most of the other reviews thought the initial smell was just off-putting. But, what happened after that blew me away! It develops into a light, beautiful, and sensual scent that I can't get enough of. I could still lightly smell it the next morning and knew right then that I must purchase it. I'm normally drawn to the fruity scents (Flowerbomb, Ed Hardy, Viva la Juicy) but this one is so different not to mention a nice change of pace after wearing Flowerbomb for the past few months. It is not for everyone, but for those of us that love it, we have found a wonderful scent that I guess only we can appreciate!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2011 11:29:00 AM More reviews by gvmullins

Smells great - spicy yet floral...dark and sexy. BUT, it broke me out in a rash. I'm allergic to about half of perfumes out there, and this one falls into the "can not wear" category for me.

So, if you're sensitive to perfumes this will probably make you react badly to it. It's a shame, because it aint cheap!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2011 12:53:00 PM More reviews by 2000wattsmile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Not sure if I like this one. Spicy and intriguing with a dirty, unwashed undercurrent. That could be good or bad, depending on mood--it could easily be pleasing or cloying. Definitely a fall scent that should be applied with the lightest hand. It's not a scent that would appeal to a wide audience, so I would avoid wearing this in close-quartered situations with others.